What markets has the iPad really destroyed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kestrel452, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

The iPad is a holy grail of innovation and everyone knows it. It carries out the functions of tons of other task-specific electronics, and much better IMO. What markets do you think the iPad is going to eat up?

Here's what I thought of so far:

1. portable automotive GPS's
    2. portable aviation GPS's

list what else you think the iPad will take over.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Smartphone GPS has done more to harm the automotive GPS market. The iPad is nowhere near where the smartphone market is. There are hundreds of millions of smartphones in use worldwide. Compare that to 10 million iPads - with probably half of those GPS-free.

3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

4. EldoInTheWeeds macrumors member

My portable auto GPS is 100% easier to use as a GPS in my car than my iPad.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I have my doubts about these, at least the automotive area. There is only one ipad navi program out there, copilot, and it's pretty meh compared to a full automotive gps. Other programs like Navigon work on the ipad, but aren't meant for the resolution and suffer because of that. Apple really really should consider releasing a killer GPS app and charging a monthly fee for it, it seems like a no brainer, but as with many other things they haven't even touched it.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I'm shocked you would even suggest that the GPS market has been "ruined" by the iPad. I'm betting that fewer than 2% of all iPad users are using it as their primary GPS device at all.

In fact, Computerworld does an annual study on GPS features in use by all computer/handheld users and found in their 2007 study that less than 20% of ALL users even use the GPS function.

The only market I'd say has been disrupted by the iPad may be the netbook market and even that is a hotly contested 'fact.' I'd say the only true market the iPad disrupted was Apple's own iPod Touch market.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

8. Kestrel452 thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen auto GPS apps run on the iPad, and IMO they're at least 10x better than what any mainstream unit could do. This bashing of Navigon on the iPad is news to me, because previous threads have also been raving about how good it really is.

As for portable aviation GPSs, those things are toast. People have been shafted by companies like Garmin when it comes to these things. Their newer ones are cheaper, but they also suck a lot more. Why pay $1000-$3000 for a GPS that does less when you can buy an iPad for $600 that would essentially be a flight bag in a screen? The Garmin 696 which has comparable screen size and functionality costs in excess of $3000, but has a crappier resolution. I'm glad I didn't shell out $800 for a base model garmin unit 2 year back when I started flying. The only advantage it has over the iPad is XM weather and ADS-B, which has already come to the iPad (however the developer seems to be skimming the market when it comes to price).

9. Built macrumors 68020

According to a report I've read recently, netbook sales are WAY down, and anticipated to be really BAD this holiday season.

The appetite for REALLY portable computinig has been very well satisfied with the advent of the iPad, IMHO, and people who would otherwise have opted for a netbook are seriously looking at the iPad.

10. Kestrel452 thread starter macrumors regular

And I don't blame consumers a bit. Steve Jobs was on point with his anti-netbook rant.

It's fun watching netbook producers have their asses handed back to them for making such terrible computers.

11. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

My G1's navigation app is much more useable than the iPad. The built in Maps app was actually a huge letdown to me, coming from a Google Phone. It doesn't give you step by step directions...you have to hit the next button. Silliness.

I will agree that the iPad is much cooler than most netbooks, and it is definitely becoming a second computer for lots of people (myself included).

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

13. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i think the downward pricing of computers in general has hurt netbooks growth. many people do not require the portability and even so, they can get similar results by buying a laptop and gaining more power. instead of buying a netbook, i THINK many just go with an inexpensive laptop or desktop.

i will say netbooks are getting better and better. its their cpu that make them a letdown in performance terms. intel atom is improving but so far isnt ideal for running a full OS and programs.

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Portable dvd players, and it might reduce the need for smart phones if made smaller.

15. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I think reducing the size would destroy the iPad market... Also shrinking it down would actually make it a smart phone. I think apple already makes one of those.

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I just mean that I don't use my iPhone a lot when my iPad is with me.

17. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Judging by tons of posts on here:
    It's destroyed whatever market is filled with people who have 500 bucks to blow on a toy that's novelty will wear off after 3 months.

18. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

The novelty hasn't worn off yet here. I have had mine since they first shipped and use it more than my laptop or iMac.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think you mean created not destroyed...by using your smug logic that is.

20. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Good point.
    And I'm just jealous because I don't have $500 to spend on an iPad. Seriously, if my iPod touch ever breaks (32GB, $300), I will spend $200 and get an iPad. I have a BestBuy replacement plan, so they will just let me put the price of the iPt to another device.

21. Built macrumors 68020

Get over yourself.

22. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Snooze alert......

23. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I don't know about aviation GPS's but my Garmin will run rings around the iPad in terms of navigation and ease of use. The iPad only beats it on battery life. Hell my iPhone and Nokia beats the iPad. Unless you are running something using GPS SAASM or milspec stuff, a standard store bought Garmin will beat an iPad hands down.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

My bank.