What MBP to expect next Tue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ^squirrel^, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hey all,

So what are everyone's guess at the spec of the next MBP?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

3. Dan0903 macrumors member

one would hope one that would be far greater value for money.

I dont want to buy a dell laptop, but if next tuesday it turns out i can build a far better machine for less money....

ill probably still end up getting a macbook pro :mad:

4. Skeets macrumors newbie

MBP with the same enclosure.
    Penryn 2.5, 2.6, and 2.8 GHz processors
    bumped video card specs - 256 MB at the low end, and 512 MB at the high end
    Slightly larger HDD options
    LED screens in the 17"
    Higher Res screens in the 15"

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

I beleive this to be a fact as well :D

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This is most likely, but I am hoping for a redesigned case that allows more professional options like dual HDD slots, more FW800 or 400 ports on the 17" model, and more BTO options like SSD etc.

7. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I am now also thinking there will be a redesign case. This is because after the MP update, the MBP is the only computer in Apple's lineup that does not use the new style keyboard. Even though I prefer the current keyboards, this seems most likely along with user replaceable HDD and magnetic latch. I also believe we will see an update because I believe we will see a 13" MBP with a new design and that same design moved along the entire line.

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Good catch, I almost forgot those two features... the mag latch and user replaceable HDD. I am not a big fan of the current keyboard but I am not picky about what I type on since most people can adapt to anything they use for long enough.

I an seriously hoping for at least ONE more thing on the 17" MBP other than an extra USB port. One more FW port of some kind, a second HDD slot, beefier GFX card, something. I can't really justify the 17" MBP when the 15" offers basically the same thing other than a 17" screen and an extra USB port. I know how to color edit correctly so the type of screen isn't that big of a deal. I could use the screen space but I could also use the $300 I would be saving. So I hope that my $300 gets me a bit farther in useful features on the 17"

9. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

What MBP to expect next Tue?

I'm thinking that the MBP case will be redesigned. The Titanium released in 2002, had the same case design as the latest MBP. Way overdue.

And I believe their will be a new MBP ultralight, 13"?

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It would be lovely to have two ultra light notebooks in the lineup, one for the MacBook user and another with some power for the MBP user. Like we did back in the PowerPC days with the 12" iBook and PowerBook.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You like to dream big. I like it! Not sure they will give such nice video card options but I do hope you are correct. Apple's prior propensity toward lower graphics specs has me a bit worried but I shall endeavor to remain optimistic.

Cheers,

12. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I would put a 512mb GPU high on the list of likely updates. It'll probably still be the 8600 Nvidia card though.

13. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I don't think you are going to see a redesigned case until the next processor iteration.

MBP's have been selling wildly. PCWORLD recently named the 17" MBP a "Best Buy."

I expect Penryn to be the last processor in the current case: makes sense for Apple from a Profit/Loss perspective.

Just as they crammed the new Octo's into the old Mac Pro Case.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

hoping for a case redesign as well updated specs. I dont plan on buying till spring but by then an update might happen... if not september

15. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Internal update, possibly a redesign, new iSight and possibly this "strange new trackpad".
    I'll be ordering a week today.

16. Matiek macrumors member

I think the case will be the same with some bumped up specs, a 512 gfx card would be amazing. If apple reveals a really unique 13'' inch product I think will start seeing it's design carry into the MBP line in the next processor upgrade. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if we kept the same cases after the next processor upgrade. The Laptop market is incredibly competitive right now, I think apple is trying to keep the cost down and the specs up by not updating cases. I don't blame them, I prefer better specs over cases.

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yeah, but with Dell and other improving their design, and utilizing designs that offer much more options than the Macbook and Macbook Pro, Apple will fall behind. I prefer hardware to case design, but right now Apple's case design limits hardware dramatically. We don't need a huge 2" thick case for a 512MB GFX card and a second HDD.

Or they could do as Dell has done and introduce a new model with a redesigned case and other models along with it.

18. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I wonder if Apple is selling enough laptops to justify a third and/or fourth model line. Perhaps that is what is coming next week with the ultra portable - a new product line.

19. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Magnetic closure without a latch and a loop for a lanyard. Nothing more.
    Although, I'm secretly hoping for a cup holder.

20. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

Dude, it took HOW LONG for apple to bump the gfx card up in the SRMBPs? We probably wont see a graphics update for a long time. And what would they put into the case anyways? No way anything higher than 8600 will ever be able to function in such a small enclosure, until at least NVID releases new cards.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

don't expect anything because if it's just a spec bump, it's unlikely to be announced in the keynote.. probably a week or two later (like MP was a week before and MBP was a week before WWDC last year)

22. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Here's what I'm hoping for personally:

Enough memory and a big enough hard drive so that the LOWER end MBP will be "enough."

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree, the current case is just a tad bit too small to put any current high-end hardware inside. Right now I am okay with the current and possible future specs of the machine, but it'd be nice to have a machine that wasn't run of the mill, and always slightly under the highest spec'd PC.

24. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Forgot to point out that Apple redesigned the Macbook's case at MWSF when it was 5 years old and now we are at the same place with the Macbook Pro's.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They're also not going to redesign the case at this update. It's just going to be a simple processor swap from Merom to Penryn.. the rest of the internals will be identical to the current MBP.

You'd be more likely to see a case update in the summer when Montevina comes out, because Apple will need a new motherboard with the new Intel chipset. They aren't going to go and design a new mobo now just to have to do it again in 6 months. That would be a waste of a ton of R&D money.