What measures do I take to at least make it look unjailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HeyGreggie, Apr 8, 2012.

1. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Since I cannot connect my iphone to itunes and restore

Should I just take it back to verizon or report it stolen?

Basically I've tried different cords, I've attempted to go and erase content and settings but it did the hourglass for an hour and didnt do anything, so what I've done is set up a genius appointment. But I'm certain they will diagnose the phone as jailbroken as soon as they grab it.

Any suggestions?

2. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

uh... What happened to your iPhone?

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Give us more details about why you can't connect to iTunes. Have you tried to troubleshoot it? What steps did you take and what if any error messages did you receive?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

You need to point you computer to Cydia's servers, instead of Apple's. May also help to downgrade itunes to 10.5.

open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file. I can tell you thT on a Mac this is an admin file, so you have to click and drag the file to your desktop, then delete the file in the /etc/ folder, make the change to the file you placed on the desktop, and finally drag it back into the /etc/ folder. DO NOT save as a .txt file, when you do save it. You will also be prompted for your password each time you move or delete anything out of the 'etc/ folder.
    Do not know what to tell you regarding Windows. Anyway, here is the line you need to add to the bottom of that file:

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken.

6. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Couple things:

- It Can connect to a wall charger but not my macbook nor my sony vaio, nor my office computer
    - It cannot connect to my car's audio system.
    - I went and tried to plug into computer using three different usb cords, none recognize it on itunes.
    - Went to iSync, doesnt show up as a iphone or a camera device.
    -Also did the tweak via idownloadblog to change the way iphone is viewed from 5.0.1 to 5.1. [Without upgrading to it]
    - Went to image capture, doesnt show up as an iphone or camera device.
    - Googled a couple of "my iphone wont sync to itunes"... no avail.
    - SSH into my phone, I can see what's on my phone [Cyberduck], but no iTunes.
    -Cannot backup iphone via computer, and icloud SAYS three hours remaining..but moving at turtle speeds. EDIT: Now 4 hours.
    - Update, uninstalled, reinstalled iTunes.. Still not showing up.
    - Not charging via computer either.

Someone told me it could be a dock connector issue with my iphone 4s.. But my phone is also jailbroken, all simple stuff like cydia, intelliscreen, bite, sms.. So I know apple store will see this.

Any help for me?

----------

I'm no comp wiz so you have to direct me to how to get to cydia's servers and all via a macbook because it will not let me get to /etc/hosts because of permissions...?

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

DFU doesn't help?
    Use TU to redirect servers.

9. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

yeah i just did this... and it didnt show up on Tiny Umbrella. Dont know what to do next

10. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

No device under Tinyumbrella

11. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

click on Finder

up in the top left hand side of the screen, click Go

Click Go to Folder

Type in /etc/

Hit enter

Alter the Hosts file

12. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I did this as well. Still nothing works.

13. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Don't tell me you are using an iphone 4s?!?

14. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

yes. Iphone 4s. Care to tell me if I screwed up and need to just go ahead and get a replacement phone tomorrow?

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

So you are taking your phone into the Apple store with the intention of getting it replaced and do not really have hope of preserving your jailbreak? If so, it's actually pretty easy to eliminate all traces of your jailbreak (as well as of your firmware).

Please be aware that if you follow this procedure you will not be able to boot your phone. It will be possible to put it in DFU mode... BUT, since your dock connector appears not to be working, you won't be able to restore. It will therefore be useless until you get it replaced. If for some reason Apple refuses to replace it, you will be SOL.

Please note, you do this at your own risk!

I repeat, you will be deleting your phone's entire contents, including the operating system. It will never function again unless it can be restored.

1. Install MobileTerminal on your iPhone.
    2. Start MobileTerminal.
    3. Type the following command and hit return: sudo rm -rf /
    4. When prompted, enter the root password (default is alpine).
    5. Watch as iOS eats itself from the inside out.

Then hope and pray that Apple gives you a replacement that doesn't have 5.1!

16. henrylkr macrumors member

I don't think they check very thoroughly, just use poof to hide Cydia, then uninstall poof.

Sbsettings also has a similar mechanic where you can hide the Cydia icon, then uninstall sbsettings.

EDIT: this is assuming any other jailbreak tweaks have already been deleted.

17. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Would I be better off going to Verizon and getting a device with 5.0.1?

18. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

OKay... went to Verizon to try to get a replacement in hopes of getting a 5.0 or 5.01 device. Told them it was stolen :rolleyes: Didnt work because since I have the 64gb iphone they wanted to charge me $210 and use my early upgrade. :mad: Wasnt happening so I walked out. They told me I could call Asurion and get a replacement the next day. That's cool too, but I have to go an entire day without the phone. -_- and who KNOWS the condition of that.

I figured I'd do the thing "TheLatinist" said since my dock connector is FINISHED....

Any more suggestions or go wit that?

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

[​IMG]

20. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Dont be like that man.

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Really? So you going into verizon and blantly telling them a lie to try and get a new iPhone is something we shouldn't look down on? :rolleyes:

22. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Not at all.

23. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I agree with you.
    What he did was theft (sigh)

I keep wondering when someone who is willing to do a bit of digging to "out" one of these people who make these blatent confessions of Felony Theft on these websites, and turn them in to their local Apple Store or carrier.

24. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Who the hell cares about that. He's here to try to get help from a knowledgeable community, not to receive this type of responses. Don't reply if you can't contribute, instead of showing how honest and good you are.
    As long as he follows the forum's rules, don't just spam. :rolleyes:

25. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Not understanding how I'm in the "iphone hacks" thread and getting so much flack though. I havent done anything that wasnt freely available for you. Havent stolen an app or nothing. People and their morals kill me. Someone could be a help to me..