Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Here's another example of why I think a circular display is form over function. Notice the text getting cut off at the bottom. And to shrink it to fit would mean really small text (I can't imagine trying to read it in full sunlight).

Image[

That is an initial notification of a card, that needs to be swiped up to see the full card. That same initial notification would be cut off on the bottom of a rectangular display as well.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
How can you detach an apple Milanese? Please explain?

What part of this definition concerns the :apple:Watch?

Because the wearer just needs to push the watch towards himself.

What?

It's impossible to take by force, magnetic or not.

'Impossible' is a pretty big word to toss around. Are you guaranteeing the :apple:watch can't be stolen? Go to New York City. They have professionals there that can 'liberate' pretty much anything.

It's basic.

Again: What?

The Apple watch is water resistant and it's completely fine for me, I already wear a plastic watch when I'm going to the pool. Thanks.

So you are equating the :apple:watch with a 'plastic watch' you wear to the pool? Interesting...

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
Fine dude, don't buy an Apple Watch, but you don't need to explain it to me...

The strap has one fixed point, and one moving.

For releasing the strap, you have move the strap inwards (push).

If you pull the strap, the watch won't go

Excuse my crude drawings

http://i.imgur.com/6JyRd8F.jpg

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I finally saw the Moto 360 at BB the other day. Good grief, what a hideous watch. Ugly. Clunky. Band felt cheap.

In fact, none of the other "smart" watches looked much better.

Apple better hope theirs looks as good in person as it does online. If so, it'll sell.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I finally saw the Moto 360 at BB the other day. Good grief, what a hideous watch. Ugly. Clunky. Band felt cheap.

In fact, none of the other "smart" watches looked much better.

Apple better hope theirs looks as good in person as it does online. If so, it'll sell.

To the bolded part, Apples leather bands don't look to be much better... :/

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Judging from what?

The 3D renders?

So full of hate... it's ecco leather (the cheapest), do you own ecco shoes? Or do even know what's that? Don't think so...

I was just saying that both leather bands look cheap. Nothing more nothing less. I prefer metal bands most of the time anyways.

The Horween Leather that the Moto360 uses is super meh as well. It looks plasticy even though it isn't.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
I was just saying that both leather bands look cheap. Nothing more nothing less. I prefer metal bands most of the time anyways.

The Horween Leather that the Moto360 uses is super meh as well. It looks plasticy even though it isn't.

How can you judge leather from 3D renders?

Did you go to the Apple Event? I don't remind even seeing leather straps there.

I have ecco leather shoes and the leather is what I would classify as "good", and the shoes last eternally. This is what apple's offering in the cheapest offering.

Ecco shoes themselves dropped in quality when they changed the manufacture from Portugal to China, but the leather is still the best/one of the best, you can get for their price range ($100 to $200 a pair)

Anyways, you didn't see the final product anywhere, Apple only released 3D renders until now. So you can't say anything about it's quality.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Can I have some? Finally saw that freakin' ugly plasticky looking toy in person in Best Buy tonight.

I will not wear it even if it is free and somebody is pointing a gun at me. The line or something at the bottom is hilarious.

:apple: Watch is going to be a runaway winner both at the stores and fashion.

Thought the 360 was made of metal not plastic lol.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
How can you judge leather from 3D renders?
Anyways, you didn't see the final product anywhere, Apple only released 3D renders until now. So you can't say anything about it's quality.

I can judge the quality of the leather from pictures the same way we can say that the Apple watch is going to be the best smart watch on the market.

I am not seeing where ECCO leather is higher quality than Horween leather.

That was my point both leather bands look like garbage in pictures.

Surferlife

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Thought the 360 was made of metal not plastic lol.

I'm pretty sure it is, but it's also very light, which may make some people think it's actually plastic.

It doesn't feel quality due to the super light weight. I prefer to have a little more heft on my wrist

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I love my Moto 360 and I don't smoke! :)

I can understand the knock on its design. The band connects at the bottom thereby making the screen appear bulky when viewed at certain angles. Still though I think a metal band can fix that look somewhat. I'm surely getting a metal band for sure to replace the leather version.

Either way, I love to sport new tech and the Moto 360 gets the job done.

To be honest, I've gotten nothing but compliments on the watch. Mostly because of what it can do and this type of device being new and all. My dentist last month kept interrupting her own work on my teeth to ask me questions about the watch and what it could do and thought it was a slick device. I was at a jewelry store the other day and the staff was ecstatic about it also. I'm not saying that they loved the design. But I think its features and functions were the focal point of their compliments. I'm fine with that.

By the way, I don't really know what type of watch faces you can freely put on the Apple Watch (knowing Apple, the variety may be limiting). However, one of the best things about an Android Wear device is the ability to change watch faces on the fly and easily use one of your photos as a background. Also, there are a whole slew off apps that allow you to create your own watch face. That is cool!

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
The Moto 360 is nice. The thing im curious about is the Moto 360 v2 which is now being rumored to come out in early 15 which should coincide with the Apple watch launch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The Asus Zen Watch got a nice review by the Verge. But I can't get past the bezels on this thing. At least with Watch Apple has tried to design the display and UI so the bezels blend in as much as possible.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/10/7369247/asus-zenwatch-review

zenwatch-15.0.jpg

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
You sure? The back light is always on. Wouldn't it take more power to keep the lcd closed vs open?

For the Apple watch (which is reported to use OLED) black is good because the pixel itself is providing the light. Black for OLED is off, where LCD doesn't have that ability (local dimming isn't a popular option anymore cause it inhibits thinness). Since the pixels itself are not required to provide luminance LCD ends up being brighter than OLED (or Plasma), at the expense of black contrast levels.

For the Moto 360 having the backlight dimmed does save power versus having it at full brightness.

bhferguson

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Denver, CO
Great thread, I'll take a bite.....

Have seen and played with the 360 at a local Best Buy. And hey, it's a nice piece of tech. I don't like the flat tire and I don't like the way the watch sits "on" the band, definitely makes it feel clunkier as opposed to a middle body connection.

I wear a traditional watch everyday, and I have for all of my adult life. My initial hopes and speculation were that Apple would release a round watch. After seeing the form on a a couple of Android watches, I think the rectangular screen is far more practical and effective for displaying information.

I am an Apple lover. And I appreciate the fact that Apple is smart enough to use the software and hardware together to make a smart, good looking device. It would be great if the bezels were narrower and the screen was larger, and I would imagine someday that will be case. But to work your design language around the idea of making those bezels disappear by using a black background is smart. Even the text bubble still looks as though it is floating on a seamless display. Couple that idea with the nice curves of the glass from the iPhone 6 line and I bet it's a very pleasing experience. Both visually and from a usability standpoint.

I liked the idea of the watch being used as a dive computer, but I think in its current form, it would still need to be tethered to a phone to really be effective. Especially given battery life. But I do like the idea of being able to remove the bands, and maybe with a specialty case, use the device for water related activities. Could be kind of a go-pro situation where you have a ton of different "carriers" for the actual watch. A pocket watch attachment, a rugged case type of device - I am an avid backpacker. With a solar charger and a little bit of extra protection, this could easily replace my Suunto.

It's an exciting time for everyone. We're at the dawn of a new age of personal computing. Having options (Apple vs Everyone) will only drive the innovation faster and help make the tech more widespread for a variety of demographics.

I can't wait.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The Asus Zen Watch got a nice review by the Verge. But I can't get past the bezels on this thing. At least with Watch Apple has tried to design the display and UI so the bezels blend in as much as possible.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/10/7369247/asus-zenwatch-review

The color difference in the bezel is a shame, but aside from that this watch is by far the best looking of all smartwatches at the moment.

Still hoping for a smaller, more lofi-looking watch though, with design cues taken from 80's digital watches.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Would never wear a moto360, unless it looked like the website renderings which it doesn't :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.