Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Blues Brothers 1980. Love this movie. Outstanding chase finale! The question is: where did they get all of those cars to wreck? According to a quote online (unverified) from a 1993 Playboy Magazine interview, Dan Aykroyd said the 70 police cars were purchased from the Chicago Police Dept for $700 each. :)

103 cars were wrecked during filming. At time of release, this was a world record, not beaten until 104 cars were wrecked in filming 'Blues Brothers 2000 (1998)'.

MV5BMTM4MjYwMTk5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTQzMTI5._V1_SX214_.jpg

600px-BB-COPCAR-3.jpg

blues-brothers.jpg

lake-and-lasalle.jpg

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Watched "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" last night, and enjoyed it. High art it ain't, but I found it enjoyable. Daniel Craig was given a bit more to do that the Bond stuff, and he handled it well. I thought Mara Rooney was excellent, really worked the character for all it was worth!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was watching Tron Legacy on FX the other day and it really grabbed me. I wasn't really interested in it when it came out but I enjoyed it.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
And if you haven't seen it, run, do not walk, and get "There Will Be Blood". Extremely disturbing movie! He is truly unbelievable in that film. Frighteningly intense and he creates a character with brilliance. It is definitely not a feel good movie...but I think one of the most brilliant films I've seen.

First off thanks a lot for the tip, you really did understate just how good he was in "There will be blood".
It is often said that Hollywood is only good for special effects movies now days, well this proves them wrong. It truly does rank among the great films.

Came for the milkshake; stayed for the public church confession. Yeah, that one is a pretty big "Like" for me, oddly enough; I'm not usually much into "period" or "historical" movies.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Taken 2. Its fun IF you can manage to turn off your brain. The first one was way better.

Highlight for spoiler>>
Aside from being almost exactly the same as the previous movie, I've still got some questions...
Where were the police when the daughter was haphazardly chucking grenades off the rooftops?
When Bryan's being "taken," he has time to make a 2 minute phone call with guns pointed at this head, and the baddies don't mind?
Was it necessary to destroy the US Embassy entrance? They couldn't just walk in like normal people?
After the Mortal Kombat-esque fight :rolleyes:, Bryan finds the big bad guy (who is unarmed, why?) at the end with his cellphone ringer, whereas throughout the entire movie, his phone has been on vibrate?
And he kills him by pushing on his face?? Wtf?
And the big finish is having milkshakes at the Santa Monica pier? Really? :mad:

<</spoiler.

If you quote this, remember to delete the spoiler.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Came for the milkshake; stayed for the public church confession. Yeah, that one is a pretty big "Like" for me, oddly enough; I'm not usually much into "period" or "historical" movies.

Glad you liked it.:D

I found it such a remarkable movie, on all levels and in all elements of production, that the specifics of setting and period are overwhelmed by the brilliance of the totality of the film.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I was watching Tron Legacy on FX the other day and it really grabbed me. I wasn't really interested in it when it came out but I enjoyed it.

I saw that when it first came out in IMAX- absolutely amazing experience. I saw it while travelling in Canada, supposedly we here in Sydney have the world's biggest IMAX screen, but this one seemed at least as big, and the picture quality was stellar.

That movie is the definition of eye candy.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I am watching 'The Pacific' on Bluray (my first time watching Bluray and must admit to being impressed).

I know its not exactly a movie per se; but its what am watching.

Mind you why anyone would consider a PS3 as a regular movie player is beyond me - boy this thing makes a lot of noise. I would not buy one.

:)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
An oldy but a goody, I saw it on cable last night - The Rock with Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage - I love this movie :)

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
Taken 2. Its fun IF you can manage to turn off your brain. The first one was way better.

If you quote this, remember to delete the spoiler.

Spoiler

I know what you mean with his daughter I pretty much lost all interest with the film after she started playing hot potato or so to say, and that bit at the end was just stupid the whole fighting scene and the milkshakes. What would have been better is if his wife or daughter had got killed like eye of an eye and he went bat **** crazy and hunted them down in there country and so on.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I just finished watching In Bruges I loved it so funny.

Attachments

• in-bruges-poster1.jpg
    in-bruges-poster1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 61

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Last night watched Låt den rätte komma in, this film out 2008, is just so much better than the remake by Hollywood Let me in. Not that Let me in was a terrible film, it's just that the original is so much better.
It wasn't so much the acting that made the difference between the two films, it was the whole atmosphere.
I know that it has sub-titles, but you quickly forget them as you get into the story.
Of course being Dutch I am used to sub-titles in film and TV.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Saw Argo today. Obvious liberties taken for dramatic effect, but extremely well done and accurate to the period (and I remember the events).

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
7 Psychopaths

Saw 7 Psychopaths. Interesting, not great bu worth the $1.50 at the Redbox.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.