Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Well I have

American Gangster
American Psycho
Cloverfield
Office Space

Ready to be loaded onto my iPhone Friday, what do you guys have lined up?

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Let's see...

I just converted:

Stop Loss
The Happening (heard it was terrible but we'll see)
We own the Night
Semi-Pro
Battlestar Galactica Razor
The last two episodes of Battlestar Galactica

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
What is the easiest way to start doing this?

I have yet to jump on the DVD conversion bandwagon...

Handbrake?

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006

Handbrake?

Handbrake works very well. If you are on windows, you will probably need another piece of software to break the copyright protection on the DVD when you insert it.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007

Handbrake?

Well, I generally don't convert from DVD. I obtain the .AVI or .MKV files and then use PSP 9 to convert to .MP4 for iPhone.

Handbrake, however, seems to be the conveter of choice for DVD. Works great from what I hear and it's free (I think).

cherrybomb

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Team America
Ferris Beuller's Day Off
The Jerk
Summer Heights High (all episodes)
Friday

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
I have be kind rewind waiting to go.

However rotobadger i strongly urge you not to watch "The Happening" i have not seen a film with such a bad plot, such 2d characters or such a lack of tension in an age!! There are some truly comic scenes of menacing music with slow panning shots of trees and grass, they might be worth a look but i would skip the rest of it!!

Just watched The Mist though, though it was quite good, a lot more suspense than the happening.

DanielQ

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008

However rotobadger i strongly urge you not to watch "The Happening" i have not seen a film with such a bad plot, such 2d characters or such a lack of tension in an age!! There are some truly comic scenes of menacing music with slow panning shots of trees and grass, they might be worth a look but i would skip the rest of it!!

Just watched The Mist though, though it was quite good, a lot more suspense than the happening.

The Mist was good.

The Happening! Watch it! It's like, a comedy almost (it's so bad). Not only is the plot bad, it's horrible acting. I was really disappointed with that movie.

touchyphone

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I have the original iPhone, don't plan on getting the new one Friday, but would love to share my movie picks..

Currently on my iPhone:
Transformers
Knocked Up
Jumper
Godfather Pt 2

Video waiting in que to be put on:
The Prestige
Batman(1989)
Batman Returns
Batman Begins (all in prep for Dark Knight)

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
My MacBook has been busy almost every night for the past month...

Picture1-11.png
Picture1-12.png

All encoded with Handbrake's 'iPod Hi-Rez' preset.

I also have every episode of The Mighty Boosh and Father Ted.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007

Actually, it's interesting you say that. From what I've read The Happening is just terrible and is pretty much as you describe. But I thought the Mist was awful. If you liked the movie and have not read the book (short story actually) by Stephen King, I strongly suggest you check it out. You will not be able to put it down!

I'm leaning toward taking your advice however...I find M. Night's stuff a little slow anyway but if this movie is as bad as it sounds I won't make it past the first 15 minutes!

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
iPhone is a poor video playback device. I've found that even my several year old PSP does a better job of rendering video, primarily thanks to it having a true 16:9 display.

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, what is up with Mark Wahlberg's acting, it is so stunted and false the entire time. Very odd. Then i don't know why i am so surprised, M. Night Shyamalan has made fairly constantly bad fils since sixth sense. I guess as sixth sense was such a good film, i keep wanting to give him another chance to pull another one out of the bag. But i think this one may have been the final straw!!

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Let's see...

I just converted:

Stop Loss
The Happening (heard it was terrible but we'll see)
We own the Night
Semi-Pro
Battlestar Galactica Razor
The last two episodes of Battlestar Galactica
21...boy i'd love to get a hold of that..... great movie.

I have black hawk down, live free or die hard, and im converting dumb and dumber right now.

ChazDaSpaz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
I use Mac the ripper to get rid of copyright from DVDs then I convert them with Handbrake, takes about an hour per DVD. I've got 4 films for my current iPhone, not gonna get a 3G.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Snatch

Shawshank redemption

No country for old men

There will be blood

Green street hooligans

All girls swallow pt 1.2.3.4.5.6

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
21 is really quite good, but then i do like most of Kevin Spacey's stuff. Plus he has done wonder at the Old Vic in London, they really are putting on some great theatre there!

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007

Picture1-11.png

All encoded in Handbrake's iPod Hi-Rez format.

Sci-Fi fan just like me!

Bladerunner: Arguably the best Sci-Fi movie ever made
Cloverfield: Much better than I had anticipated
Sin City: Visually very cool. Heard they're making a sequel
War of the Worlds: Meh. Pretty good but not great.
Star Wars IV: Are you kidding me? THE movie that started it all!
300: Pretty damn cool! Lot's of good fightin'!
2001: A classic for sure!

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
All seasons of 24
All seasons of Seinfeld
All seasons of Six Feet Under
All seasons of Sopranos
All seasons of Arrested Development
A Ton of Movies:
Bourne Trilogy
Matrix Trilogy to name a couple.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

Picture1-11.png

All encoded in Handbrake's iPod Hi-Rez format.

I have been doing mine in the iPhone/iPod Touch format....should I have been doing iPod Hi-Rez???

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Well, I buy all my movies from iTunes so not that much:

High School Musical
Sky High
Black Snake Moan
Stick It!
Ouch! Live from San Jose

Five seasons of Family Guy.

Two seasons of Hannah Montana.

And I think that's it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
What noobs!

I have a 500GB HDD almost full with TV Shows from my DVD library (it's too big to call a collection). I have another 500GB HDD that I'm putting movies on, and I think there are about 75 on it.

For those asking the best way to convert, use HandBrake. I created my own setting for the best iPhone/computer/ATV compatibility. I think the thread is still on the ATV forum from a few weeks ago.

Someone who uses Windows will have to fill you in on that side of things. I'm REALLY interested to know if some software I saw that says it rips Blu-ray Discs really works as well as Mac the Ripper, etc.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I have been doing mine in the iPhone/iPod Touch format....should I have been doing iPod Hi-Rez???

No, the iPhone/iPod touch preset is perfect for the iPhone because it encodes them at the native iPhone resolution (480x320). I used iPod Hi-Rez (640x480) so that the films would look better when I watch them on my MacBook, but are still iPhone/iPod compatible, however, this makes larger file sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.