What multifunction printer actually works in Snow Leopard with all features?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shinji, Nov 19, 2009.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I have a Samsung SCX-4500 that I'm not very happy with.

I'm looking for a b&w laser multifunction printer that has print and scan...OR a high quality/durable inkjet that has print and scan. Prefer HP.

Any suggestions?

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I have a Brother MFC-7840W and it works just as well in Snow Leopard as it did in Leopard.

3. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I have an HP Officejet. I'm not sure which model it is, but it was the cheapest model with an ethernet port that we got at Costco about a year ago. It works great in SL, and it's actually plugged into the Time Capsule via ethernet. So even over the network, things like scanning work without issue.

I'm not at home now, but I want to say that the model is 6310xi.... I doubt they make that specific version anymore though - something similar / better though.

5. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

and it scans without any problem in snow leopard?

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yep! Zero problem. I use the HP utility to scan... and it works just fine.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I see you prefer HP, but I have the Canon MP470, and it works just fine - I scan using Image Capture.

8. ventro macrumors 6502a

Is there a HP multifunction that scans using Image Capture?

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It might - i have never tried. I'm going home to visit my parents next week. I'll give it a shot.

10. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

How did it go?

11. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

I have a HP OfficeJet J5780, and it work great in SL. The fax, scan, print, copy, all works fine.

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I have an HP C6250 printer/copier/scanner (no fax) and the SL drivers are much better than the 10.5 drivers were. In 10.5, I had to use the HP-authored software for scanning. Of course, their software was crap. In Snow Leopard, the scanner is accessed via Apple's Image Capture, which makes for much easier integration in to everything else. I don't need any third-party software (other than the drivers included with 10.6) for printing/scanning.

Works well.

13. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

My antique HP 1500 All-in-One, dating from 2002, works fine with Snow Leopard.

Be advised, that HP software no longer scans. You have to use Apple's image capture program.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

+1 for Brother. Mine's a color MFC laser model, but it's not given me any problems so far, and is inexpensive in terms of consumables as well (part of my research as well, as HP was eating me alive in comparison). Damn chipped toner cartridges (expire used up or not).... :mad:

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

No go - I installed the most recent 6310xi drivers, and they work great in Snow Leopard! All the HP apps work great too! Can't seem to get it to work with image capture...

16. radicalcentrist macrumors member

I have an HP 5600 series as well, and image capture works really, really slowly. I have an iMac with Leopard on it, so I generally jump up and use the HP software installed on it when I have to scan.

But I'm moving up to a Fujitsu ScanSnap in the next few weeks (because the scanning is the most important thing to me).

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I 2nd this, and I got mine from newegg.com for about $265 shipped on sale (and it would have been less if I didn't have to pay for the shipping to the FPO address (in CONUS shipping would have been totally free))...

18. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

The only thing that might make my environment a bit different is that I connect the printer/scanner/fax device to an ethernet port in my router. I don't use the USB port. I think Apple's native support for scanning over ethernet isn't as strong... at least it hasn't been for me.

19. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

20. ro-76 macrumors member

Dcp-7030

Does anyone have any experience with the Brother DCP-7030?

It's mac compatible, but I would also like to use it with an airport express.

21. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Scanning with a Canon Pixma MX300 as we speak, working fine.

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, my parents have a DCP-7020 (and a DCP-7340), both of which work fine on all functions when connected to a Mac via USB (Image Capture works for scanning, as well). Have not tried them connected directly to an Airport, however, which is I assume what you're interested in doing.

As a recommendation for Brother, they're both very nice machines, and I've never set someone up with a Brother printer they were disappointed with, including the lower-end network laser at work that just hit 60K pages.

At home I use a Canon MP-620 (MFC with built-in wireless), and it prints and scans with no complaints via a wireless connection to two different Macs. Canon has their own scan interface, but it also works fine via Image Capture.

23. simonbirt macrumors newbie

I'm using a Canon MP640 wirelessly with 2 Snow Leopard machines and an an XP box. Works just fine. I've not used the Canon scan interface at all - just Image Capture.

24. eatmyjustice macrumors member

eatmyjustice

I can only get the scanning feature to work over USB and not wireless. Wireless worked ok before the Snow Leopard update.

**Edit - I should clarify that the Apple Image Capture does work over wireless with this device

25. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I have had the HP 3390 for about 2 years now and it has worked happily without a single hitch. When Snow Leopard came out it had no problems adapting and I can really recommend this machine.

[​IMG]

Its on our home network and is attached to two Mac Laptops and for a while to an XP Desktop (This is now gone).