Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksowocki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
NYC
I've been into music lately while working lately. Mostly, I listen to it while I'm coding. For the most part, I listen to ambient or electronic stuff, with no words.

Funny how it gets you into the 'flow' and helps eliminate distractions. :)

What all do you guys listen to?

Here is my list
- Radiohead
- Explosions in the sky
- Album Leaf
- Lotus

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Definately some Explosions in the Sky. Can't get enough of them. Great band. Oh and Sigur Rós. I listen to Dream Theater or to Liquid Tension Experiment when I'm writing an essay at night. It keeps me awake. :D

Nadav

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Well, during homework I usually listen to Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, The Shins, Flaming Lips, Wilco, etc. But if it is a project, then its most definitely ANIMAL COLLECTIVE.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
It depends on what kind of work.

Creative stuff, something right brain-y like Enigma or Cretu; Technical work (development) Yanni & Craig Chaquico are good without being intense, Classical helps me think analytically and I also have a playlist solely of epic, bigscreen film themes (Red October, Rocketeer, Gladiator, Pirates, DaVinci Code, etc).

Working out, though, I need me some AC/DC or otherwise old, heavy stuff. Rap and hip hop give me a headache no matter what the situation.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
At one job I listen to hospital music.
At the other job it's a siren.
And I need SILENCE when I'm doing homework.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I like something fast or cheerfull to keep me sane...

Less Than Jake
Incubus
Alice In Chains
Isis
The Haunted
Cypress Hill
N.W.A
Dr.Dre
Kreator
Kingdom Of Sorrow
Kylesa
Lamb Of God
Mad Caddies
Meshuggah
My Dying Bride
The Specials
Terror

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Mainly the Red Hot Chili Peppers when I'm doing schoolwork. If I'm drawing or doing something for leisure I switch to Daft Punk or any other dance/alternative band... sometimes even The Lonely Island! :p

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Depends on the mood. I go between old school funk, to 80s, to classical, to light rock (especially when it's a rainy day), to metal to old school R'n'B.

Lately, I've been concentrating on original songs, followed by another band/group doing a cover of the same song. Currently, one of my (short) playlists has the following:

Orion (Metallica)
Orion (Rodrigo Y Gabriela)
Kashmir (Led Zeppelin)
Kashmir (Bond)
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (Journey)
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (Tyketto)
Life is a Highway (Tom Cochrane)
Life is a Highway (Rascal Flatts)
Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson)
Smooth Criminal (Alien Ant Farm)
Shining Star (Earth, Wind, & Fire)
Shining Star (Stryper)
Brickhouse (Commodores)
Brickhouse (Rob Zombie)
Mercy Mercy Me (Marvin Gaye)
Mercy Mercy Me (Robert Palmer)
Early in the Morning (The Gap Band)
Early in the Morning (Robert Palmer)
Easy (Commodores)
Easy (Faith No More)

You get the picture.

BL.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
Depends. Unless I'm wanting to listen to a certain song, it's my "Latest Added" playlist.

Its sort of funny that one of the the senior members of the hospital just came to my office while I was listening to the new Raekwon CD.

Nadav

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Depends. Unless I'm wanting to listen to a certain song, it's my "Latest Added" playlist.

Its sort of funny that one of the the senior members of the hospital just came to my office while I was listening to the new Raekwon CD.

How is the album? Based on my friends reactions, I'm kind of leaning towards not buying it, but I did really like "House of Flying Daggers" which was unexpected, since I did not have high expectations for the track at all.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
How is the album? Based on my friends reactions, I'm kind of leaning towards not buying it, but I did really like "House of Flying Daggers" which was unexpected, since I did not have high expectations for the track at all.

I think its pretty damn solid. I'd call it hip-hop album of the year so far. House of Flying Daggers is good along with The New Wu, Kiss the Ring and Catalina. For me, it feels like a throwback CD, classic Wu-Tang.

I just wish Nas would have made it on the CD...but its still worth the $$$.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Tomorrow's selection:

work.jpg

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
If I'm working on assignments or doing programming I'll listen to classical stuff (Movie scores mainly), or Jazz.

If I'm just surfing or fooling around I'll just toss iTunes onto library shuffle and listen to just about anything.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Mostly classical/baroque/romantic--Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Rachmaninoff etc.

Sometimes a little Brian Eno or BT's This Binary Universe album. A little Dave Brubeck here and there.

Intense

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
toronto
this is such a neat post as I get to discover bands that I never knew about from other posters.

When I am studying or working at uni or at home I like to stream beethoven/chopin type of classical music and a mix of slow and fast ambient to stay focused and eliminate distraction.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
At my day job (at a local hospital in the nutrition dept) I prefer listening to no music. I would rather not relate music i really like to my place of work. Maybe im weird :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.