Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
My wish list:

a bigger screen: 4.2in or 5in
faster processor: 1ghz or better
super OLED screen
front/back cameras: 3meg,8mega pixel pls
32,64,128 Gig harddrive
backside gestures
ichat
natal effect would be cool with the front camera
battery life 12 hours (actively surfing for 12 hrs)

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Preparing yourself ahead of time to be disappointed. Typical but always a useful strategy...

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
The big screen just aint happening. They'll probably have a strong processor but underclock it to save battery life. That's just for starters. And who would want a 5 inch screen lol. 4.3 is pushing it big time.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
would u really want a 5in. screen? think about how big that is. it wouldnt fit in ur hand or pocket

Well, Dell Mini phone is 6 in, HTC supersonic or Evo is 4.2 in! So, it would be tight, but still pocketable!

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
My wish list:

a bigger screen: 4.2in or 5in
faster processor: 1ghz or better
super OLED screen
front/back cameras: 3meg,8mega pixel pls
32,64,128 Gig harddrive
backside gestures
ichat
natal effect would be cool with the front camera
battery life 12 hours (actively surfing for 12 hrs)

You don't think you're getting a little hopeful? The processor, the 64 gig storage and the 8mp camera are the only things i see as being reasonable.

5" display: for a screen is ridiculously huge for a phone display, they would lose a massive market share by alienating people with regular sized pockets who don't wish to carry their phone around in a briefcase.

Super OLED screen: Apple doesn't like to dabble with experimental tech. The current screen is brilliant as it is.

iChat/3mp camera: Could happen but I think its unlikely.

Natal effect: as in Project Natal from Xbox? What the holy hell do you think this would do?! That's tasking enough on a fully fledged gaming console! We're talking about a phone here...

12hr Battery: Although this is something i would really like, it sounds like a pretty tall order without compromising the design and weight of the phone dramatically

Backside gestures: ignoring the obvious dirty innuendo, i fail to see the point of this. If it could be implemented in a useful way I'm all for it, but I just can't see what you would use this for that the existing screen and buttons cant already do. Suggestions are welcome though, I'm interested to hear your ideas

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
None of it really matters if they don't get on more carriers than AT&T.

They need to get on Verizon.

I don't see how Apple can keep up with this onslaught of Android phones of all shapes, sizes and configurations.

My assumption:
- upgraded screen, 800x480. Probably TFT, better in sunlight.
- Faster CPU, more RAM, more ROM
- Price stays the same
- Multitasking support for 3rd party apps. They need to release this a few months before release so that developers can use it.
- New gestures, UI interactions
- More sophisticated yet easy to use ways of managing lots of applications
- Front facing camera would be great, but I don't believe it will happen.
- Other carriers. Verizon would be most helpful, but I don't see it. T-Mobile would be easier but futile.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So tired of hearing about Verizon. Really.

I'd settle for the battery. I really don't like having to charge my battery every day, and wondering whether I'm going to make it home while on public transportation. However, if that's all they do, it won't be too impressive. Steve is implying it will. But he also said the iPad was great. Big meh to that.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
None of it really matters if they don't get on more carriers than AT&T.

They need to get on Verizon.

I don't see how Apple can keep up with this onslaught of Android phones of all shapes, sizes and configurations.

My assumption:
- upgraded screen, 800x480. Probably TFT, better in sunlight.
- Faster CPU, more RAM, more ROM
- Price stays the same
- Multitasking support for 3rd party apps. They need to release this a few months before release so that developers can use it.
- New gestures, UI interactions
- More sophisticated yet easy to use ways of managing lots of applications
- Front facing camera would be great, but I don't believe it will happen.
- Other carriers. Verizon would be most helpful, but I don't see it. T-Mobile would be easier but futile.

1. Verizon? Lol, try having an Orange tree give you Bananas first and then talk about iPhone + verizon.

2. Screen is fine

3. ROM, for what? RAM, so far OS 3 doesn't reach or exceed 256MB, I don't think we will see RAM until next year. CPU, it's an in place upgrade, all Apple needs to do is up the frequency in the next iPhone, but keep current 3GS at the underclocked speeds.

4. obviously

5. Multitask is not for the iPhone. It's a phone, not a PC replacement.

6. Like?

7. This is supposedly coming next OS update.

8. True

9. Dream on....

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
Cynical much?

2. Screen is fine

3. ROM, for what? RAM, so far OS 3 doesn't reach or exceed 256MB, I don't think we will see RAM until next year. CPU, it's an in place upgrade, all Apple needs to do is up the frequency in the next iPhone, but keep current 3GS at the underclocked speeds.

5. Multitask is not for the iPhone. It's a phone, not a PC replacement.

Some of us like to watch movies in the best quality possible.

Of coarse the OS doesn't exceed 256MB! How would you run any applications in the OS footprint alone took up all the memory? But as it stands, you can only run one application at a time. (See multitasking)

That has got to be the worst statement of all time. Look at the ridicule the iPad took. The iPhone gets almost as much criticism considering how its competitors have incorporated multitasking.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-20001008-250.html

There are a number of reasons why multitasking should be in the next update. I'll give a few examples. Answering a text requires you quit whatever app you're currently in. Copy/Pasting from an app into safari would require quitting safari, opening the app, quitting that, reopening safari....etc. People love having the radio in the background.

Bottom line, Apple should allow multitasking. Even if it does kill the battery, it should be our choice to use it or not.

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
I've got a feeling the new iPhone will be like Gran Turismo 5.

Release put back and back due to better offerings coming to the market and them having to re-think to keep up. (GT5/Forza 3 - iPhone/Android)

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
man, it'd better have an apple logo! if it doesn't, i will NOT be purchasing one or waiting in line.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
I really hope Apple steps up their game and doesn't leave any MAJOR upgrade out just to "leave the customer wanting more." And I know it will happen I just hope it isn't something as big as Video Recording like the iPhone 3G. I could see them just upgrading the processor and maybe memory and saying suck it and wait for next season. However if they do that like they did with the iPhone 3GS, Apple will lose A LOT of 3G owners including myself because the new HTC Evo 4G just displayed what the slew of new features will be for the newer phones. I believe Android is setting the standard now for new features and hopefully Apple not only abides by them but goes far beyond to blow our minds away. Not keep us wanting more just because "it's Apple."

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Bottom line, Apple should allow multitasking. Even if it does kill the battery, it should be our choice to use it or not.

Apple knows what's best for us. If they gave us multitasking, they would know all their users would use it a lot. Since the iPhone already has battery problems, I mean 3 hours of intense surfing and you're done. Apple can't even keep up their battery without multitasking let alone with it. So if they did add it, the battery life would just get horribly worse and get an even worse rep. for their battery issues. Don't get me wrong, I am all for multitasking but Apple needs to strengthen their batteries 10 fold

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Apple knows what's best for us. If they gave us multitasking, they would know all their users would use it a lot. Since the iPhone already has battery problems, I mean 3 hours of intense surfing and you're done. Apple can't even keep up their battery without multitasking let alone with it. So if they did add it, the battery life would just get horribly worse and get an even worse rep. for their battery issues. Don't get me wrong, I am all for multitasking but Apple needs to strengthen their batteries 10 fold

I stopped reading after that haha.

No company knows whats best for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.