What ports will be removed from next MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by toke lahti, Oct 16, 2008.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Since apple is now in fashion to reduce the amount of ports in laptops, what do you think will happen to next MP model?
    Which ports do we loose and which will survive?
    Will there also be proprietary graphics cards with miniDP?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

The Mac Pro is not a laptop so there is no need to remove ports because of space issues. The Mac Pro is also expandable unlike the MacBook. You can add a PCIe card for whatever ports you want so it doesn't really matter.

3. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

REmoving ports from new laptops is not space issue. They have same diameter than before... and lots of free space now.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

They will remove both ethernets, all the USB, both firewire, bluetooth, DVI, and all the audio ports except the optical audio in.

Basically you have to control it though the optical audio in by shining a laser pointer in there and tapping the little on button repeatedly, like morse code. And you have to guess what would be on the screen. You can also listen to the fans for some feedback.

5. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

6. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

What does that have to do with anything? I'll be a little bummed if they take DVI off the MP, but oh well.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

That would depend on the graphics card used. ;)

DisplayPort is already being adopted, but will be awhile before it completely takes over DVI I should think. There aren't even that many monitors that support DisplayPort yet.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The next Mac Pro will be nothing more than a thin sheet of metal mounted to your wall.

9. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

That's true, but we'll see. At the rate at which they update the MP, all graphics cards may be Displayport only by the time the next update is unleashed. :p

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Things do move fast, but not by Jan '09. :D
    Threads galore on this one. :eek: :p

11. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

See this:

12. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

I know, I know. I'm kidding. Right now I'm debating waiting till Jan. or buying used now.

inigel, thanks for clarifying. They didn't have to take DVI off, but by keeping all the ports on one side DVI was pretty much a goner.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Same here. I waiting for the details on the next one to make up my mind as well. ;):D

14. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

I feel like I could get some pretty sweet deals right now by buying used, saving a lot on RAM and HD's indirectly from people who have upgraded theirs. But of course there's always that voice in the back of your mind that says "wait for the latest and greatest!"

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Used has always scared me. If I end up buying the current model, I'd look for a refurb first, then check resellers for close-outs if they're any to be had. :p

16. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

The thing is that you can usually find used MP's with 16 GB RAM and 2TB worth of HD's selling for almost the same price as the refurbs. It's a tough decision, because I'd be buying all that stuff if I got a refurb anyways. So I'd really be saving a bunch of money on used.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Good point. I might have to get over my trepidation, and go that route.
    After the new Mac Pro specs are revealed, though. ;)
    Hurry up Jan.! :p

18. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Seriously. I really wonder if it'll be a case update or just a speed bump. I guess we'll wait and see!

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

There are quite a few threads about the new Mac Pro. :D
    Quite a bit is known on the basics, but the details are yet to appear. :rolleyes: ;)

It will be a significant speed bump, as it gets a new architecture. Nehalem based. :D:D:D

This thread should give you most of the answers, or at least a good starting point. :p
    It's 4 pages of posts, so it may take awhile, but it would be worth it. :)

20. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

R O T M F F L M M F A O!!! Priceless. Made my day :D

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

There will probably be just one Firewire 400 on the front, and 2 Firewire 3200's on the back (since 3200 and 800 use same connector). Perhaps one 3200 on the front as well.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

No S3200 (formal name) in the new Mac Pro. The standard is proposed, but not yet ratified by IEEE.
    FW800 will have to do for now. :(
    eSATA could be really useful though, and is currently available. :D :p

*Source.

23. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

1 FW800 on the front
    1 10/100/1000 NIC
    2 USB front
    2 USB back

24. cube macrumors G5

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

Make it 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 4 USB ports on the rear, and add 2 hot-swappable eSATA ports, and then we'll have something. ;)

Yes, I want it all. [​IMG]
    Well it certainly won't come with its own fusion reactor, so how do you propose to make it work? :p

A generator attached to a treadmill? :eek: