What Price Would You Pay for an Edition Model?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MICHAELSD, Mar 21, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Taking into consideration the fact that the Edition model is not solid gold but a blend of alloys estimated to add well under $600 to the cost of the Watch, assuming resale value was good realistically I would consider a $1499 Edition model. My top end would be $1999. It's obvious Apple is trying to create value in a limited Edition Watch that isn't valuable enough to justify its cost over an aluminum model.

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The actual cost of all the materials should be around $3,000. But they have to make a profit, so maybe $5-6k max. But I would never pay for it.

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Where does that figure come from?

I did some (probably very wrong) extrapolation based on the published weights of the Sport, 'Regular' and Edition, and came up with a pure gold scrap value of around double that (excluding gold content of straps).

4. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The weight for the 42mm case is about 2.3 ounces. The cost of 18 karat gold is approximately $886. That adds up to about $2,037

And I know the case has other weight inside of it, but I'm not even including the gold in the band.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The $600 or so worth of gold has been debunked as Apple is apparently not using the special ceramic alloy so it's at least $1200 worth of gold for the case alone. Add the 3X markup typical of the jewelry industry to that and there's no way a $1499 Edition model is possible. Apple is charging a higher markup because they can.

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I might go up to 2K for one. Maybe. I only like the rose gold one, though.

8. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Actually no price would work for me but that is only because I really do not like yellow gold. That is why I was so happy that their Stainless Steel option looks so good. Now they just have to do a SS model with the nicer box and stand.

9. Ollé macrumors regular

Ollé

Doesn't really matter speculating or asking what we would pay the price structure has already been revealed and we know what we are going to have to pay, not what we would like pay.

10. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

you know i thought $3299 would have been a fair price, so i was prepared to pay $4499 and be on my way with a nice high end fashion piece.

the real price was a shocker when announced

11. FlatCable macrumors member

Nothing, I don't want a gold watch.

Let's face it, does anyone wear gold watches? Not PVD, solid 18K? Probably not...

The only watches I would buy in gold case, would be something like a FP Journe.

12. betabeta macrumors 6502a

If it was 1200 in cost, I would have paid 2500, and I know a handful of people who would have paid that too.

2500-15000, would have still held exclusivity. Lower end gold models with sport bands and ones with gold bands, diamonds etc, for higher.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You stated fact is NOT accurate or a fact.:D

14. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Especially making the $10k base model come with the sport band!

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Due to these threads, I've been doing a lot of research on gold lately, and it was interesting to learn that there are national preferences to gold colors.

For instance, Germans apparently like a yellower gold, and the Swiss like a darker color.

That's a good idea. I bet the aftermarket will be full of boxes similar to whatever the Edition gets.

(Apparently Ive said it would have dyed leather outside, and the usual jewelry box artificial suede inside. So pretty much like a lot of current watch storage boxes. China will knock off a copy in no time.)

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I wouldn't buy one at any price. I don't like gold watches.

17. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

Never had the intention of buying the edition. Even if it was priced £1000.
    £600 is as much as I could spend for any watch that I will only be using 2-3 years.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

I could see spending up to $5,000 for a nice watch. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a gold-plated line above the Watch and below the Edition, with a different set of bands or a somewhat different design to differentiate it from the Edition. It's not uncommon in the luxury brand world (e.g. Burberry) to see this.

19. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

It really depends on what the cost to Apple is. I think it is fair for them to make a healthy profit, but the current prices are a cash grab and, to me, seriously damage the image of the company.

In my opinion they shouldn't have offered the gold. I think they would have been better to offer the aluminum as the :apple:Watch, and the stainless steel with a charge stand/box as the :apple:Watch Edition. This would have been a lot more reasonable. To me the current Edition just takes the conversation to price, and the potential of the watch gets pushed to the background. In the mainstream, the Edition has garnered the lion's share of the headlines even though it will probably amount to less than 1% of sales. On the other end, attaching the sport moniker is a disservice. There is nothing sport about it. It is like the Carolla S. A fine car, but the S is just some body cladding.

20. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

2k max. Even then it's not worth it considering that this is a gadget that has a significantly shorter lifespan.

21. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Max $1,000. I can't see spending a ton of money on a product which will need to be replaced in a couple years.

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How is it a cash grab when 99.99999% of potential Watch buyers aren't even thinking about it? With the prices Apple set its obvious they're not looking to move many Edition watches. Heck at the March event they spent very little time on the Edition and didn't even show the gold manufacturing video. It's not Apple putting all the attention on the gold watch. I see the gold watch as just an experiment more than anything else.

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Nothing. I can't see spending $10K on something that purposely, AND BY DESIGN becomes obsolete. I can and do spend that on watches I like, but can't bring myself to do it on this one. If I even bought an Apple watch (which I can't this generation, because it doesn't do what I need a smartwatch to do), it MIGHT be the stainless model. But more than likely the aluminum version, since I'd just be wearing it to work out...if it ever gets the functionality I need.

25. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Even if it was the cheapest model I would still go for the SS model. Don't like gold jewellery.