What protection plan should I get for our iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by budmonster, Jan 6, 2014.

1. budmonster macrumors regular

I have VZW, we just upgraded our phones and got a 5s and 5c at Best Buy. I was just curious to see what protection plan you guys recommend? I have 3 choices. We purchased the phones on 12/27/13 so I don't know how much more time we have before the deadline for a plan kicks in. I have 3 choices though.

The Best Buy protection plan, Verizon Wireless TEC plan or AppleCare+. What do you think is best?

I currently have the TEC plan from VZW. I had a HTC Rezound and the TEC plan was on that line for $8 I believe. Once I upgraded to the iPhone through BB, my plan changed to the TEC plan for the iPhone which is now $9.99 if I remember correctly. Anyways, I can cancel it anytime. My wife's phone doesn't have the TEC, that it why were trying to figure out what PP to get for our phones.

We currently have AC+ for our iPad Air but it was a spur of the moment buy since I was in the Apple Store.

Thanks everyone :)

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

3. Jasonkrick macrumors member

I have verizon replacement insurance and has been a lifesaver when I went through 5 HTC Thunderbolts and a Samsung Charge in about a year.

Then I have AppleCare and it saved me when my iPhone 5 power button got stuck after warranty period. So, yes. I have double protection because I have horrible luck with all my cell phones.

I have yet to have a cell phone last 6 months without problems that require replacing. And I am pretty careful with my phones.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've got insurance with my carrier. I don't see the point in having both carrier insurance apple care + ???

5. Jasonkrick macrumors member

My cell phone carrier covers some things that apple care doesn't and vice versa.

It has been more than worthwhile for me to have both. It would have taken me ten plus years of zero phone problems to recoup the insurance monthly fee I have so far used due to my very bad luck with phones.

----------

Oh. And I do not have insurance or apple care on my iPads or MBP.

I just know that I have terrible luck with phones and am covered accordingly. Others will have different experiences.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I've never had cover on my iPhones and I've been lucky. If you are careful you could just choose none.

7. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

We have kids and our phones are used at work. Thing tend to happen more. I'm going to choose one. I think that AC doesn't cover loss or theft though the VZW TEC does.

----------

What are the big differences between AppleCare and the Verizon protection plan?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As would I. Apple's service is second to none.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Me to, but my daughter is pretty good and doesn't often borrow her mine as she has an iPod touch and iPad 4. Neither have had AC. The only time I ever bought AC was for my iMac as it was so expensive and I didn't want the hassle if anything went wrong. Should have saved my money. It's been 14 months and no issues.

10. SC54HI macrumors member

SC54HI

You need to decide if you want insurance for damage & malfunction or loss & theft or both.

From a few months ago, here are some comparisons I provided in a response to a similar post. You'll need to do research on current costs & terms:

11. budmonster, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

Our phones will be proned more to being damaged than being lost. So I'm guessing AC+ would be the way to go? I think the only difference between AC and TEC is that TEC covers lost phones. Don't get me wrong, having a backup plan incase my phone was lost or stolen would be a great peace of mind for me. But how often do people actually lose there iPhones, mine is like another son of mine I never leave it out of my sight. What does ADH mean? I'm guessing LS = Lost/stolen? Verizon TEC is now $10/month for iPhones.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Verizon is monthly, AC is a flat fee upfront (AC is much cheaper over 2 years)
    Verizon deductible is generally around $200. AC I blieve $79 (up from $50)
    Verizon Covers theft/loss AC does not.

If allyou are worried about is damage, AC is far superior. Loss/theft? Well, obviously verizon then since Apple doesn't even offer anything for that.

It's worth noting that even without AC, Apple will replace your phone for $250 if you broke it and it is in no more than two pieces.

13. SC54HI macrumors member

SC54HI

Here's what Consumer Reports says about extended warranties; note the stats for accidental damage/handling versus loss:

14. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'll go with AC. From what I've read the only difference between AC and VZW TEC is TEC covers lost and stolen devices? Does TEC allow more claims per year? I

15. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

ac sounds like a plan then. do they both have the same amount of claims allowed? or does tec offer more claims per year?

16. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Homeowners can also update their policies to include small appliances if their plan allows. State Farm does, I'm not sure about the rest.

17. libertysat macrumors regular

I do squaretrade

In 3 years with my iP4:
    it quit/died right out of clear blue one day, worked one minute gone the next, took to Apple store and swapped for replacement for $140.
    Square sent me a check for $140

Another time I dropped it and killed the microphone, same deal went to store, paid and got a check for whole amount

Paid $85 or $99, can't remember for the warrantee, you do the math

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

AC isn't a "claims per year" situation. It's a "claims per lifetime". And that magic number is two. So you get two claims in two years (the lifetime of AC+).

I am not sure there IS a limit on the TEC plan, but I do know it's a LOT more than two over two years. BUT, you end up spending enough per month per unit that, unless you break your phone very early in your cycle, you would be better off just putting that money aside and using it when you need it, in my opinion.

19. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

So instead of paying $10 a month every month no matter if I need a new phone or not you're saying just use AppleCare. Pay the one time payment of $99 and save my money ?

20. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

I'm looking at square trade now it looks just like AppleCare except its $50 instead of $79 for replacements. Oh and I see square trade covers up to 4 clad vs AC only doing 2.

I also heard about something called protect your bubble?

21. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I have never gotten any warranty/protection plan for my apple devices but i do pay for insurance at VZW incase i do drop my iphone but it is kinda useless for me because i have a griffin survivor on my iphone-which in my opinion is stronger than an otter box- and it is really protective.

I guess you could say that my protection plan for my iPhone is my Griffin Survivor which i also have on my other iPhones, ipad minis, ipod touches and my iPod nano

22. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Go to their site.

Protect Your Bubble Insurance $7.99 per month

http://us.protectyourbubble.com/gad...S&PTR=Google&gclid=CNHsh9fwvrsCFeJF7AodLQYAuw

I did a check with other customers that like it, but reseller rating below had only one review and it was positive.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Protect_Your_Bubble

23. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

What people are failing to mention is that VZW gives you a total of 4 class versus 2 and they extend the manufacturers warranty as does the AP+ but if I am not mistaken, AP+ is considered fulfilled once you use the 2 claims.

VZW- 169 for the first claim 200 for the second. Total of 4 claims over 2 years

AP+ 79 per claim. Total of 2 claims.

24. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Here is my advice. Are you a person likely to break, loose or get a phone stolen from? If the answer is yes then research all the possible coverage plans available and choose the one which offers the best conditions and most value. If your answer is no to the above, then I would avoid spending money on any insurance. I have never insured any phone or tablet and have never lost, destroyed or got any stolen. If you take care of your items then you will likely not need any insurance.