What really happens if you can't pay for a meal?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
Cube54 said:
Remember you can only do this twice in your area

1) Go to a *place* with your wife/husband (Sorry but no kids for this)
2) Order a nice meal for each of you 'two' with wine
3) During the after dinner coffee fake an argument

Hubby then walks out steaming but - bill free- with the wife in tears :) and no bill of course

Next time 'flip the roles' '

:D

Works everytime
for the first two times.

anyways if your at a big monster chain returaunt your screwed. If your at ma and pa's local dinner, you pay em back the next day. This has happened twice to me, to the latter.
 

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
129
0
Canada
Rokem said:
for the first two times.
Isn't that what I said there ->Rokem..

Rokem said:
anyways if your at a big monster chain returaunt your screwed.
Spelling & grammer corrections or is that grammar? : you're at & you are screwed

Rokem said:
If your at ma and pa's local dinner, you pay em back the next day. This has happened twice to me, to the latter.
There's that there 'yankee your again'? As for ma and pa's
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Cube54 said:
Remember you can only do this twice in your area

1) Go to a *place* with your wife/husband (Sorry but no kids for this)
2) Order a nice meal for each of you 'two' with wine
3) During the after dinner coffee fake an argument

Hubby then walks out steaming but - bill free- with the wife in tears :) and no bill of course

Next time 'flip the roles' '

:D

Works everytime
I think if you flip the roles, they will be laughing so hard at the wussy husband bawling his eyes out -- that they would forget to collect the bill.
 

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
1,839
0
atomheartmother said:
Once my girlfriend and I didn't have any cash for a tip, so we left some McDonalds coupons on the table.
Wow, that's like leaving a negative tip!


I think if you flip the roles, they will be laughing so hard at the wussy husband bawling his eyes out -- that they would forget to collect the bill.
LMAO!
 

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
Cube54 said:
Isn't that what I said there ->Rokem..



Spelling & grammer corrections or is that grammar? : you're at & you are screwed



There's that there 'yankee your again'? As for ma and pa's
wow... I was refering to the last sentence "works every time". and ma and pa's is just the way I refer to small family owned places.

Didn't know we had a new spell checking freak on the forms...
 

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
1,609
8
Danville, VA
I walked out of some Fast food joint once without paying. I realized it as soon as I got in the car and went back in.

As for tipping we were in a Diner once, and the service was really bad. We had to wait like 20min for her to come tak an order, and it took FOREVER to get the food, (which might not have been her fault), she never checked on us/refilled drinks etc..., and took another 20min at least is not more after we were done to give us the check. Mind you this was at like 11:30PM and the diner was EMPTY it wasn't like she was busy with other customers. My friend left a $.01 tip.
 

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
1,952
0
District of Columbia
Hummer said:
So yea what happens? Has anyone had the experience? Anyone work at a restaurant?
I've never done that at a restaurant, but I have done it by accident in the cafeteria here at work. I brought the cash the next day. It's a different situation because most days I can't leave to get food so the cashier knows she'll see me.

Haha, reading the post above reminded me of one time my co-workers and I walked on a bill. It was at a pizza place, a Pizzeria Uno or some junk place. You order your food over a phone that's installed at your table. They got every single order wrong and one guy didn't get his food until 30 minutes after everybody else. We left exactly 1 dollar on the table and walked out.
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,400
12,410
iGary said:
Whe I was a manager at Bob's Big Boy (go ahead, laugh)

ROFLMAO

Happened to me recently. Was in Denver and a freind met me there. We took out one of my employees and her husband. Ran up a $500 bill. Bill comes, hand the waiter my Amex and he says, we don't accept credit cards. I was a bit embarassed but more pissed off. No signs as to their credit card policy.

Manager came over and was very nice. Asked if I had a business card which I did. Took it and told me to send him a check when I got home and he bought us a round of after dinner drinks to boot.

Told him he had a customer for life in me and I intend to eat there every time I go to Denver which is quite often. Was glad I had enough cash to tip the waiter nicely.
 

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
1,489
0
London
I once left a campsite without paying. We arrived so late that there was nobody in the reception, so we drove in. On the way out in the morning the gate wasn't down and the driver went straight out, forgetting that we hadn't paid. It was a crap campsite, but that doesn't make it right.

iGary said:
I actually loved it when we would get a "Retain Card" message on the credit card screen.

$50 reward, but people were sometimes less than friendly about it.

"You can't have my card!!!"

"It's not yours, it belongs to the bank."

"Give it back!!"

Then I would say really loud:

"I'm sorry, sir, but the bank said to seize your card because you haven't been paying your bills."

Thay would usually slink off out of the restaurant and I'd get $50 a couple of weeks later. :D
Those were probably my favourite moments at the shop I worked at. People get so pissed off when they get declined/retained, as if it's my fault. It feels so good to know that you're absolutely, 100% not at fault.
 

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
5,555
5
American Riviera
rdowns said:
ROFLMAO

Happened to me recently. Was in Denver and a freind met me there. We took out one of my employees and her husband. Ran up a $500 bill. Bill comes, hand the waiter my Amex and he says, we don't accept credit cards. I was a bit embarassed but more pissed off. No signs as to their credit card policy.

Manager came over and was very nice. Asked if I had a business card which I did. Took it and told me to send him a check when I got home and he bought us a round of after dinner drinks to boot.

Told him he had a customer for life in me and I intend to eat there every time I go to Denver which is quite often. Was glad I had enough cash to tip the waiter nicely.
That's some seriously good customer service! Care to share the restaurant with us? I too go to Denver on occasion, and would like to check it out.

Thanks.
 

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
297
0
Australia
I don't work at a restaurant but I do work in a small supermarket chian called Foodworks. I just love it whenyou have a rude customer and they're credit card is declinded. I jsut get that feeling of power and then they get pissed andd have to return all their grocery's. We never let customers leave without paying. If they can't pay that have to take out some of their grocery's they don't really need at that time. If they're short by a bit and they're nice I usually let it slide. Pity they're aren't many customers that are that nice.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Interesting, I have always wondered what would happen if you were not able to pay for your bill (e.g., left wallet at home). Sounds like most restraunts will make accomodations, within reason. :)
 

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
237
11
SG
Years ago a group of us were at a curry house we used frequently. Didn't see them but a table did a runner as suddenly all the staff rush out the door including the barman carrying a meat cleaver. Ten minutes later they all returned smiling. Half an later the police turned up and carted off all the staff except the manager.

He put a closed sign on the door and proceeded to do all the waiting and cooking for those customers in the restaurant. Service was a bit slower than normal but the food was up to it's usual high standand.

Made for an interesting night. Next time we returned all the staff were back.
 

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
1,874
0
Madison, Alabama
Salasm said:
I usually go back 2 days later and make a deposit in the rear.
Wow, that's pretty progressive for them to accept sexual favors as payment for the dinner bill.

I've never been unable to pay for a meal, but my wife and I did intentionally walk out of a restaurant without paying a few years back. The waitress forgot to turn in our order to the kitchen and so it took an unusually long time for the food to arrive. When she finally realized the mistake, she sent the manager over and he told us that the meal was on the house -- which we thought was reasonable as we were semi-regulars there. Later, however, as we were finishing up, the waitress brought the bill and told us that they had changed their minds and were going to charge us for one of the dinners after all. I was speechless. We left without paying a dime and haven't been back since.
 

wimic

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
235
0
calgary, alberta
Abstract said:
I have never forgotten to pay, but I have forgotten to leave a tip. :eek:


It wasn't even good service, but I was at a bar that my friend is the operational manager of, and so I thought I shouldn't act like a jerk. Thing is that I had just moved back to Canada (only to find myself deciding to move back to Oz after 3 months!) where they don't really tip, and I had just forgot. I was so used to paying my bill and leaving that I never even gave it a second thought until I was driving home.

IMO, tips are discretional anyways. I don't always leave a tip. The waitresses and waitors get a salary for doing their job, and their tips are for when they do a GOOD job. I was at a restaurant one time a few years back - the service stank so I didn't leave a tip. The waitress approached me on the way out the door and ASKED why I didn't leave a tip. I laughed and walked past her.

But even better than that - mandatory gratuities.... I think that's just HILARIOUS. I was at a new years eve bash this past new years at the fairmont in my hometown. There was a mandatory 15% gratuity... we ended up paying over $50 in gratuities. I think that tips should ALWAYS be left up to the customer.
 

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
1,259
1
Michigan
Anyone ever see the movie, Waiting... has Ryan Reynolds, Justin Long, Anna Faris, Luis Guzman in it. Really immature humor if you're into that... I am, so it had me laughing almost the whole time. :)
 

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,511
8
Behind the lens
stonyc said:
Anyone ever see the movie, Waiting... has Ryan Reynolds, Justin Long, Anna Faris, Luis Guzman in it. Really immature humor if you're into that... I am, so it had me laughing almost the whole time. :)
\never worked a restaurant, but watched this movie with my restaurant job having pals, and its pretty much exactly like that (cept the ball thing)


Let me ask this, how do you tip? As in, what is your bare minimum for a decent/typical job done by your waitstaff?

Mine:

0% never had to

5% when I am almost broke
10% for a decent job
15% typical average tip
20% super duper service
25% i know the person or got a happy ending
 

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,511
8
Behind the lens
wimic said:
IMO, tips are discretional anyways. I don't always leave a tip. The waitresses and waitors get a salary for doing their job, and their tips are for when they do a GOOD job. I was at a restaurant one time a few years back - the service stank so I didn't leave a tip. The waitress approached me on the way out the door and ASKED why I didn't leave a tip. I laughed and walked past her.

But even better than that - mandatory gratuities.... I think that's just HILARIOUS. I was at a new years eve bash this past new years at the fairmont in my hometown. There was a mandatory 15% gratuity... we ended up paying over $50 in gratuities. I think that tips should ALWAYS be left up to the customer.

waitstaff DO NOT get minimum wage, they get half or less. They depend on their tips as their actual paycheck everyday.

DONT STIFF waitstaff unless you honestly believe you should deny them their daily bread for possibly not doing what YOU thought was worth a few bucks.

and the added MANDATORY gratuity is on parties of 8 or more usually, and is IN PLACE of you leaving a tip, usually. So it takes the guess work of how much to tip and guarantees that if your HUGE party (big for a restaurant) is a total bunch of jerks, the waitstaff get paid.

You sound like Mr. Pink.
 

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
1,215
0
N'Albany, Indiana
It was me and a bunch of friends in Spain about 4 years ago. We were at one of those expensive coastal towns and we decided to drop by a chinese resturant for dinner. We looked at the prices and saw that the food was decently priced. So we ordered and then when the bill came, the prices suddenly were multiplied by 2! My dinner that was supposed to cost 25 bucks came about 50 dollars. We didn't order anything extra. So we suspected they were ripping us off. So we paid the amount that we knew the dinner was and left. We were almost out the door till the store manager lady came over yelling at us. We booked. It's not a happy ending but that was the only time I left without paying the full price.
 

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,511
8
Behind the lens
Bobdude161 said:
It was me and a bunch of friends in Spain about 4 years ago. We were at one of those expensive coastal towns and we decided to drop by a chinese resturant for dinner. We looked at the prices and saw that the food was decently priced. So we ordered and then when the bill came, the prices suddenly were multiplied by 2! My dinner that was supposed to cost 25 bucks came about 50 dollars. We didn't order anything extra. So we suspected they were ripping us off. So we paid the amount that we knew the dinner was and left. We were almost out the door till the store manager lady came over yelling at us. We booked. It's not a happy ending but that was the only time I left without paying the full price.
they charge in EU for bread, butter and water, even other condiments like salt and ketchup.

if you used any of the above, you paid for it.
 
L

Lau

Guest
Sdashiki said:
waitstaff DO NOT get minimum wage, they get half or less. They depend on their tips as their actual paycheck everyday.

DONT STIFF waitstaff unless you honestly believe you should deny them their daily bread for possibly not doing what YOU thought was worth a few bucks.

and the added MANDATORY gratuity is on parties of 8 or more usually, and is IN PLACE of you leaving a tip, usually. So it takes the guess work of how much to tip and guarantees that if your HUGE party (big for a restaurant) is a total bunch of jerks, the waitstaff get paid.

You sound like Mr. Pink.
Don't forget wimic is in Canada, and (I'm assuming) you're in the US. The wage situation is slightly different in different countries — in the US the waiting staff are paid below minimum wage and the tip makes up their wages, whereas in other countries they are paid above the minimum wage and a tip is a thank you for a great job. I'm not commenting on whether you should or shouldn't leave a tip, just pointing out the situation is different between countries.