Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Sdashiki said:
waitstaff DO NOT get minimum wage, they get half or less. They depend on their tips as their actual paycheck everyday.

DONT STIFF waitstaff unless you honestly believe you should deny them their daily bread for possibly not doing what YOU thought was worth a few bucks.

and the added MANDATORY gratuity is on parties of 8 or more usually, and is IN PLACE of you leaving a tip, usually. So it takes the guess work of how much to tip and guarantees that if your HUGE party (big for a restaurant) is a total bunch of jerks, the waitstaff get paid.

You sound like Mr. Pink.

In France the waitstaff actually get paid a living wage, and tipping is not really customary. I notice that wimic is in Canada, and I imagine the system there is more like France than the US.

Edit: Sorry for repeating what you said, Lau

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Bobdude161 said:
It was me and a bunch of friends in Spain about 4 years ago. We were at one of those expensive coastal towns and we decided to drop by a chinese resturant for dinner. We looked at the prices and saw that the food was decently priced. So we ordered and then when the bill came, the prices suddenly were multiplied by 2! My dinner that was supposed to cost 25 bucks came about 50 dollars. We didn't order anything extra. So we suspected they were ripping us off. So we paid the amount that we knew the dinner was and left. We were almost out the door till the store manager lady came over yelling at us. We booked. It's not a happy ending but that was the only time I left without paying the full price.

My guess is that you didn't see the 'cover charge' that's pretty common in both Spain and Italy. Unless you got lots of bottles of mineral water, that could do it too. I'd be surprised if you were charged for bread, etc.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
MrSmith said:
Widening the circle of your friends? :D

Happy Endings, and now this? How this such an innocent thread go soo wrong? :p

I've only ever had one "nearly free meal", about 8 of my work colleagues were eating lunch at a nearby Thai restaurant that we frequent (read: "almost live in"); when I had to pop to the loo. By the time I came out, they were gone and the table had been cleared off (great staff!), so I assumed the bill had been settled and walked out.

As it turned out, my "friends" had thought it hilarious to run out the front door leaving me to pay the bill for everyone, and when I walked out too the staff were too polite to say anything as we were such regular customers. (And yes, they went back to pay, and to apologise!) They even paid for mine - so I guess I did get a free lunch.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Never happened to me. If it did however, i would walk to the nerest hole-in-the-wall and get the money out to pay them.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Give 'em a key to your house or a car. Walk to the nearest ATM or start beggin' on the streets. Or you could offer to do some chores like cleaning the stalls or dishes.

Of course, if you're an ass expect the po-pos to be involved.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Lau said:
Heh, I learnt my Visa number, expiry date and security code off by heart because I was so irritated by having to get up and find my wallet if I was buying something online. I'll remember that if I ever get stuck. :p

I learned my VISA card by heart because of all the online purchases I make--constantly typing it in made it easy! :)

I never even go out to eat if I am alone so someone is always there to help out if I forget my card or money.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
It's occurred to me that restauranteurs are very trusting sometimes. Say a big group of you have dinner, and pay in cash. They never insist on counting it all before letting you leave, and they couldn't judge its value very well just by eye-balling a pile of cash. So in many ways it's remarkable people don't pay half and do a runner. I think people respect a good meal, and don't think ripping people off is the right thing. But it must happen sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.