What replaces MS Paint on a mac?

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I need to do some simple copy and past job to fix a background for a project website i am making, and i normally would just arrange it all in MS Paint and about 5 minutes later its done. I have spent like 15 minutes already trying to think about what program could do this on my macbook.. What can i use?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
ChocoFlop is more like Photoshop Elements-lite than it is Paint, but might work. Be careful, though, its still Alpha.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
No, nothing will come with it, because Apple knows it's not worthwhile shipping crap software on their computers :p

I really like Seashore actually, it's kind of like a good version of paint, with the stuff paint really lacks like anti-aliasing, layers and basic effects...

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Gimp, I've found, is a bit difficult to understand (even GimpShop). This guy is just looking for a Paint replacement... Gimp would be overkill.

Seashore is nice. I generally default to Chocoflop just because of the CoreImage filters, though.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
i really just want to make a simple background, like take a square and make a pattern to it will repeat down the page when i set it up in HTML. So i just need to copy the pic, past it, move it next to the original one, and so on until the pattern is complete....

I DL'd Seashore, kinda sucks its PowerPC, but it might work, i just gott get used to it..

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Star Destroyer said:
i really just want to make a simple background, like take a square and make a pattern to it will repeat down the page when i set it up in HTML. So i just need to copy the pic, past it, move it next to the original one, and so on until the pattern is complete....

I DL'd Seashore, kinda sucks its PowerPC, but it might work, i just gott get used to it..
It wasn't universal? :eek: It ran perfectly on my MBP!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Damn, I'm looking for such an app. I googled and got this thread. :eek:

Something that can draw squares, circles, straight lines, and basic shapes like that. Microsoft got it right with this program. Yeah, it may be small and simple, but I think there's a reason why so many threads appear that ask for this simple program to be on a Mac. ;) Give MS credit for creating something that people really like, even if it is simple. It's so simple that nobody else has developed anything better for this sort of work.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
I see what you ex-PC guys are talking about, but over here there's definately not an Apple equivalent. Over here, we have a really stunning shareware/freeware community, so a lot of this type of thing is provided by them.

'course us Mac users love overkill, we'll boot up Adobe CS 2 just to draw a square.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Machead III said:
'course us Mac users love overkill, we'll boot up Adobe CS 2 just to draw a square.
*indicates himself* :D Of course Photoshop will draw a better square than all those other apps... ;)

I think it could, possibly, be beneficial for Apple to include a Paint-like app with OS X. Do for graphics what TextEdit does for type. Of course it would be better than Paint.

They could call it "Draw". :)

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
My advice is: install Bootcamp and Windows XP and keep using MS Paint :) For all those little graphic things there's Paint. For everything else there's Mastercard.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Abstract said:
Damn, I'm looking for such an app. I googled and got this thread. :eek:

Something that can draw squares, circles, straight lines, and basic shapes like that. Microsoft got it right with this program. Yeah, it may be small and simple, but I think there's a reason why so many threads appear that ask for this simple program to be on a Mac. ;) Give MS credit for creating something that people really like, even if it is simple. It's so simple that nobody else has developed anything better for this sort of work.
I started writing just such an app, although my attention has been diverted a bit recently. See PosterPaint in my signature. One day it might be as good as MS Paint!

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
apfhex said:
*indicates himself* :D Of course Photoshop will draw a better square than all those other apps... ;)

I think it could, possibly, be beneficial for Apple to include a Paint-like app with OS X. Do for graphics what TextEdit does for type. Of course it would be better than Paint.

They could call it "Draw". :)
Of course, Corel might have something to say about that.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
iVersa said:
Doesn't appleworks come on the macbook?
No Intel Macs include AppleWorks. Only TextEdit and trials of Office and iWork.

However, since it's still not abandonware, we can't even download it for free.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
robbieduncan said:
I started writing just such an app, although my attention has been diverted a bit recently. See PosterPaint in my signature. One day it might be as good as MS Paint!
I was just about to suggest your App! Good effort! :D

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Not sure if it's the sort of thing that you are looking for but if you wish to do vector drawing rather than painting then Inkscape seems pretty reasonable, particularly at the low, low price of absolutely free. The only caveat seems to be that you need to run the application under X11 so it's not a real Mac application.

awhitaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Wouldn't Illustrator do this? I have the CD suite and for making squares, i think I'd go to illustrator before Photoshop. I don't use Illustrator much at all but wouldn't Illustrator fo this?