What router should i get?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fcbr10, Nov 4, 2007.

1. fcbr10 macrumors newbie

Im looking to get a fast router that i can also attach a harddrive to

2. fcbr10 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It is an N router.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It uses the current draft-n spec.

Haven't had any problems at all. Using it 5GHz only for MBP and :apple:tv, plus AirDisk and PrintServer for Epson 2200.

5. fcbr10 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

OK, here's the honest truth. The only real reason to buy the Airport over other routers is the USB slot for a hard drive and/or printer. Or if you buy multiple airports to cover a larger area.

But if you are planning on plugging in a USB hard drive to your airport, you better be ready to unplug it, plug it into your mac, eject it from your mac, and plug it back into the router pretty much every time you want to use it. This is a known problem with the AEBS. Also... intermittent drop outs are common, so be prepared to restart your router once in a while.

When Apple gets these problems fixed, the AEBS will be amazing. But the truth is, right now it is annoying. It is expensive and it doesn't do what merit's it being so expensive... at least nor properly or smoothly.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

How's free as in dumpster diving? A surplus PC with BSD loaded. Even a 500Mhz P3 makes a very high performance router and you can fit the disk drives inside. Same goes for an old G4 Powermac. It will of course support printing too. It's best if you can install a second Eithernet card and a wireless card into the old PC. Pros: Old PCs are free, very fast and sophisticated software and feature set. Cons: You have to set it up. PC tower cases are large.

I used something like this for a while. I needed a router that could work well with a VIOP server I had andthese ost $$$ so I went for free route.

I only bring this up becaus you asked about lower price.

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

My AEBS works great - no problems with it at all. Very reliable, and wireless printing is seamless and nice.

9. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    [​IMG] [​IMG] know how to spell?

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have no clue as to what you are talking about. My AEBS is the best router that I've had (had 3 previously). No drop outs whatsoever. I have never had to restart it since I bought it.

11. JimmyDThing macrumors regular