Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Im looking to get a fast router that i can also attach a harddrive to

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It uses the current draft-n spec.

Haven't had any problems at all. Using it 5GHz only for MBP and :apple:tv, plus AirDisk and PrintServer for Epson 2200.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
OK, here's the honest truth. The only real reason to buy the Airport over other routers is the USB slot for a hard drive and/or printer. Or if you buy multiple airports to cover a larger area.

But if you are planning on plugging in a USB hard drive to your airport, you better be ready to unplug it, plug it into your mac, eject it from your mac, and plug it back into the router pretty much every time you want to use it. This is a known problem with the AEBS. Also... intermittent drop outs are common, so be prepared to restart your router once in a while.

When Apple gets these problems fixed, the AEBS will be amazing. But the truth is, right now it is annoying. It is expensive and it doesn't do what merit's it being so expensive... at least nor properly or smoothly.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
do u no anything thats cheaper?
How's free as in dumpster diving? A surplus PC with BSD loaded. Even a 500Mhz P3 makes a very high performance router and you can fit the disk drives inside. Same goes for an old G4 Powermac. It will of course support printing too. It's best if you can install a second Eithernet card and a wireless card into the old PC. Pros: Old PCs are free, very fast and sophisticated software and feature set. Cons: You have to set it up. PC tower cases are large.

I used something like this for a while. I needed a router that could work well with a VIOP server I had andthese ost $$$ so I went for free route.

I only bring this up becaus you asked about lower price.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
My AEBS works great - no problems with it at all. Very reliable, and wireless printing is seamless and nice.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
OK, here's the honest truth. The only real reason to buy the Airport over other routers is the USB slot for a hard drive and/or printer. Or if you buy multiple airports to cover a larger area.

But if you are planning on plugging in a USB hard drive to your airport, you better be ready to unplug it, plug it into your mac, eject it from your mac, and plug it back into the router pretty much every time you want to use it. This is a known problem with the AEBS. Also... intermittent drop outs are common, so be prepared to restart your router once in a while.

When Apple gets these problems fixed, the AEBS will be amazing. But the truth is, right now it is annoying. It is expensive and it doesn't do what merit's it being so expensive... at least nor properly or smoothly.
I have no clue as to what you are talking about. My AEBS is the best router that I've had (had 3 previously). No drop outs whatsoever. I have never had to restart it since I bought it.