What Secrets Are You Keeping?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

We all keep secrets, sometimes they are personal, sometimes they are professional, and sometimes they are relational. In fact, as I type this and then as you read it, I'm sure something is coming to mind that is being hidden, protected, or kept to yourself.

Why are you keeping your secrets? Are you afraid for others to know the truth? Are you respecting the confidence of someone? Are you bound by legal reasons?

Of course as a licensed therapist I am bound by confidentiality and thus I have many "professional" secrets that I am not allowed to share with anyone. However, I must admit, that I do carry personal secrets as well. Some are confidences with close friends, some are personal failings that I don't want to admit, and some are honor based like those from my college fraternity.

How about you, what secrets are you keeping and why? Even more importantly, are your secrets "healthy" or are they hurting you?

2. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow, 230+ views in the past hour and a half with no posts. Hmm... what are you people hiding? ;)

Let me clarify, if you didn't pick up on it from my original post, I'm not asking you to reveal your secrets, just share that you do have them and why. If you're brave enough to explore whether they are helpful or hurtful that would be interesting as well.

For example, my work secrets are not hurtful, but they have made general communication with my spouse difficult. It's hard to answer the "how was your day honey" question when you can't talk about it.

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

4. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow, the depth of your insight and willingness to engage in the discussion as posed are astounding. I was wondering who would be the first to post such nonsense.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have many work related "secrets" I guess. Apparently people here think I enjoy listening to them dish dirt on each other. Some of the dirt is ho-hum (usual idiotic ramblings), some of it is "seriously? WTF and why are you telling me this?"

It's gotten to a point where I can't look at people the same. I never really cared about them anyways (they're co-workers after all) but it's like I relish in the fact of going out of my way to avoid them just so I don't have to associate the "myth" along with the "man".

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am selfish, I prefer to spend my money on frivolous things.

Well, spending money to share my secrets with a therapist is frivolous, so I retract my statement.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Professionally, I'm bound by the law to retain information that is non-public information. Sharing it could result in loss of job, loss of certification, and potential issue for the persons who are the subject of the information I hold.

9. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

During high school, I was bitten by a radioactive spider.

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I'll bite. All the truth was going to do was hurt someone even more then they were already hurting and put everyone in a more difficult position then we were already in. This was truly a case of "What they don't know can't hurt them". (This was work related and only one other person knew.)

And kind of like jessica. I have some work related info that is not public. Kind of makes is awkward when my clients know more about each other (as competitors) then I do...

I think the "why" is the interesting thing. Is it to protect you? To protect someone else? Is it really a big deal or just embarrassing if someone where to find out? Is it really a secret, or just something you don't like to discuss?

Is it something only you know, or two, three, or a vast government conspiracy you are part of?

And have you destroyed all the evidence yet? ;)

11. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

You can dismiss that post, but it's actually a valid point. Obviously secrets are either harmful or helpful, otherwise we wouldn't keep them. With that in mind, and without disclosing secrets, all that will be accomplished here is defining what a secret is and the limits of kept secrets.

12. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

And, you don't think a discussion of such matters is worthwhile? People can feel free to share secrets if they like, but I wanted to be clear that I was not asking them to do so in order to be a part of this conversation. The way I see it, discussing one's secrets and the impact they have upon one's life can be very beneficial regardless of whether the private details are shared or not.

I'm glad you brought this up as many aren't willing to take a look in the mirror when it comes to their own behavior, any excuse as to why not will do. The point is, are you willing to take an honest and objective look at yourself in this area of your life. That's the challenge of discussions like this.

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Damn you beat me to it, but anyway i wonder how the world would be if we could self reproduce i.e. reproduce without needing a second partner, would the children be clones or originals...

14. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

With the DNA recombination process, each chromosome in a chromosome pair swaps nucleotides with the other. It could result in a different organism, but only if you create the DNA from sperm and eggs (using DNA from a diploïd (non-reproductive) cell would create a clone).

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why do I keep secrets? :confused:

Mostly because I don't want to have my throat cut across, my tongue torn out by its roots, and my body buried in the rough sands of the sea at low water mark, where the tide ebbs and flows twice in twenty-four hours…

But all jokes aside, it is really because I fear having my left breast torn open, my heart plucked out, and given to the wild beasts of the field and the fowls of the air…

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Thanks for the answer :D, are you a doc by any chance or just great at biology?

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

OK, so I would actually just lose my job, which would make me want to kill someone.

Here's one secret: I secretly hate Macs and iOS. I just come here to gather intel on Mac and iOS users and report it back to Microsoft and Google. There's the big secret.

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Anyone who payed attention in Biology class would have known that. I would have been able to answer if I payed attention in Biology.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I keep secrets for a living.

My real secret is my guilty pleasure - I like Micky Rourke movies. For all his annoying mannerism, horrible costume choices, and questionable choice of properties - when he's on the screen he dominates (for me).

Oh, God, I'm so embarrassed.:eek::eek:

20. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

My "secret" is wrapped in a large carpet in the back of my Lincoln Continental.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Just where the bodies are kept. Did I say bodies? I meant crisps or something.

In all seriousness though, I can't really think of anything major. I'm not claiming any great level of honesty or transparency, I'm just maybe not interesting enough to have any choice skeletons rattling around. :eek:

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

And I still haven't told my girlfriend about my wife...

As a dad, I keep secrets all the time. The fact that I am half of the magical beings known as Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny... I keep these secrets because childhood should be filled with wonder and magic and joy. My 8 year old daughter asked me the other day who nanny (my mom-in-law) is thanking when she says grace before dinner. I told her the truth because sometimes is an intelligent little girl who is growing up and needs to know about religions and what people believe and dont believe in I told my son who is 4 that she is thanking everybody because he isn't ready for such a conversation but just saying "god" isn't good enough for me. Some secrets need to be kept and some need to be broken and when you do so should be on a case by case basis.

----------

What the heck do you guys do?

23. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

There's a thread for that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's so interesting to me how many people come in here and post something humorous instead of dealing with the topic seriously. Maybe I'm expecting too much or maybe it's just an uncomfortable subject. In recovery circles a popular quote is, "We're as sick as our secrets". Hmmm...

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you think long and hard what I do is possibly real interesting or real boring. ;)
    My answer was 100% serious.

25. dirtleg macrumors member

No dark secrets here, I'm not that interesting. Biggest secret I've got is where I hide the Reese's in the house.

What fun is a secret if you don't tell someone?
    I'm just sayin'.