Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It killed mine apparently... I've seen a huge increase in battery life since turning off everything but Find My iPhone and Backup. I assume it's because I had a GMail account syncing with Exchange as well so it was polling twice as much as just having the Exchange account, which doesn't bode well for battery life.

It's probably important to add that I am a very light user. No games, no music, no videos - just a few calls (yes, I actually use it as a phone!:eek:), a little surfing, checking emails, occasional use of Reminders locator function.

My guess is your experience is probably more common than mine. :)

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
It's probably important to add that I am a very light user. No games, no music, no videos - just a few calls (yes, I actually use it as a phone!:eek:), a little surfing, checking emails, occasional use of Reminders locator function.

Yeah probably... I game, text a bunch, and have a few social networking apps with push notifications. I also have two push GMail accounts. Gonna try a reset and set up as new phone and restore with iCloud and see if I see a difference.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

.....it's a phone? :p

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
It's something that I discovered. Amazing - it can do all that other stuff, AND you can make phone calls!!:eek:

I will reveal the secret of this heretofore unknown capacity for a small fee. :D
Now if they can manage to get 4S battery life to be similar to the 4's battery we'll be in business haha!

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It's something that I discovered. Amazing - it can do all that other stuff, AND you can make phone calls!!:eek:

I will reveal the secret of this heretofore unknown capacity for a small fee. :D

Hmmm....nah! I'd never use it, anyway.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Everything except the photo stream!

Anyone knows if you can use the photo stream to just upload to the cloud and not have the content on the phone? Haven't even tried it, so i have no idea... i might try it right now, but i guess it'll take a while to figure out (upload loads of photos)..

EDIT: I guess it only uploads the most recent picture you took AFTER you enable photo stream on iCloud...

Last edited:

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Everything except the photo stream!

Anyone knows if you can use the photo stream to just upload to the cloud and not have the content on the phone? Haven't even tried it, so i have no idea... i might try it right now, but i guess it'll take a while to figure out (upload loads of photos)..

EDIT: I guess it only uploads the most recent picture you took AFTER you enable photo stream on iCloud...
Yeah it doesn't upload your entire camera roll... just pictures taken after you turn it on. Figured that out the same way you did haha

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I really wanted to like iCloud.

I gave it a good try, yet between Apple's lack of good documentation explaining what tech support cannot, and the frustration of so much wasted time via trial and error, I've suspended using it for the present time.

I got "most" of it to work, but it was far from intuitive, lacked Apple's famous "it just works" experience, and that was enough frustration and wasted time for me.

Fortunately I did not "switch" from my proven and very effective cloud strategy that was already in place before iCloud became something more than vaporware.

Thus I continue to use my ever so effective third party solutions, while Apple works to get their ducks in a row. :)

Hopefully soon, Apple will get back to what they (used) do best. Releasing hardware and software that "just work". That would make me one very satisfied Apple user.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I have:
contacts
calendars