Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should happen to Gray Powell?

• Leave the poor guy alone

Votes: 153 56.9%
  • Make him serve an internship at MicroSoft

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Ban him from drinking for life

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • 5 minutes with Steve jobs - that'll sort him.

Votes: 73 27.1%
  • Google/HTC should poach him

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
What should happen to Gray Powell, who allegedly lost a next generation iPhone prototype in a bar?

Chris.

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Nothing.

It was a mistake, people make them - he didn't do it on purpose.

Move on.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
"Make him serve an internship at Microsoft"

Yeah, that would be awful. What a terrible, unprofitable company that is. They probably have almost no market share in any of their products.

Stop being such a fanboy because it makes you lose all your credibility and it's people like you that make me look bad for having an iPhone.

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
What should happen to him?

Erm... nothing?!!?

The guy lost a phone, big deal. Just because it was a glorified 3GS, and the g33ks of the world got a little over excited he should lose his job?

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, that would be awful. What a terrible, unprofitable company that is. They probably have almost no market share in any of their products.

Stop being such a fanboy because it makes you lose all your credibility and it's people like you that make me look bad for having an iPhone.

Easy tiger.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
He should be fired. There are mistakes but to take the iphone to bar and just be careless with it? That's ignorant.

Never let this guy near the secret formula of Coca-cola in the vault otherwise he would leak that too.

And yeah i know im being hard on the guy but you know what? I know dozens of people who are jobless right now who would jump at the chance to work at apple. And they wouldn't make a "Mistake" like this to put their job in jeopardy. And plus in this industry where secrecy is everything. He may have to make a career change

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Give him a medal as he and Jobs secretly planted it there in the first place. Apple's marketing is "Magical" also.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007

Who pissed on your Cheerios this morning?

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Nothing.

It was a mistake, people make them - he didn't do it on purpose.

Move on.

It was a mistake, true. However, mistakes need to be punished. We live in a society where personal accountability has been almost totally thrown out the window. That is unacceptable in my opinion, and if I had kids they would hear the same thing. I don't know about you, but when I make mistakes there are always consequences. I think it is time for people to wake up and realize that everything we do in life has either positive or negative consequences and to take ownership of our actions.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Give him a medal as he and Jobs secretly planted it there in the first place. Apple's marketing is "Magical" also.
Exactly.

I am surprised that so many people think this PLOY is "beneath Apple" when Steve Jobs himself said that it was "magic" that made the 3GS faster.

I mean, come on now.

If this turns out to be a ploy, it is BRILLIANT.

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama

Bad Day? Simmer down now.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
He should be fired. There are mistakes but to take the iphone to bar and just be careless with it? That's ignorant.

Never let this guy near the secret formula of Coca-cola in the vault otherwise he would leak that too.

And yeah i know im being hard on the guy but you know what? I know dozens of people who are jobless right now who would jump at the chance to work at apple. And they wouldn't make a "Mistake" like this to put their job in jeopardy. And plus in this industry where secrecy is everything. He may have to make a career change

You aren't being hard on him. He does need to be fired. It goes beyond just losing a phone on accident. It was a case of negligence, and as a manger that is a warning sign that this guy is negligent in other areas. Who loses a prototype phone? That is pretty ridiculous.

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama

I Agree! Things like that are under lock and key. Security has to high. Could he really just walk out the door with it?

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
You aren't being hard on him. He does need to be fired. It goes beyond just losing a phone on accident. It was a case of negligence, and as a manger that is a warning sign that this guy is negligent in other areas. Who loses a prototype phone? That is pretty ridiculous.

I would fire him to when it came down to it. But again does Jobs just the Devs take out stuff like this? This guy had to have some credibility to be where he was at in his job. Apple just doesn't stick anyone in those areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.