What should I do? Return AT&T, get Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dictoresno, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I upgraded my at&t line in the Apple store on 9/25 and got my iPhone5 32GB. My area shows LTE coverage (I only get 2 bars at best, then it switches to and stays on 4G). Im wondering if I should just wait it out, stay with at&t and hope their LTE service improves, or jump ship to verizon by returning my phone to the Apple store. The price I will pay for either carrier will be similar, roughly $100/month before discounts. Im just torn at what to do, but at&t's LTE network here isnt what I expected it to be.

Verizon:

Pros: Full LTE coverage all over this area, decent speeds and great network strength.

Cons: I will lose my unlimited data by switching, their 3G data is slower than at&t's 3G/H+ if I ever have to use it. Spotty indoor coverage here and there, especially at my work.

AT&T:

Pros: Unlimited data, fast H+ data (kind of, lately the network is slow and horrible). Excellent indoor coverage everywhere I go.

Cons: even though the map says I have LTE, I cant stay connected to it. and when I am, I only get 10Mb down and less than 1Mb up.

2. Vengeful, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

Vengeful macrumors member

Vengeful

A lot of AT&T and verizon users are having this same issue including myself I'm on verizon in nyc, there is a growing thread in the apple forums. At work I'm usually at 2 bars max then switches to 3G or O, unless I'm near the tower area it doesn't go pass 3 bars. My down and up speeds are horrendous when only at 2 lte bars :(

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4329076?start=165&tstart=0

3. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

People are burning through their data usage on LTE. Not sure why you'd want to give up your unlimited plan.

Also, AT&T 4G HSPA+ isn't that bad. Sure it's not as fast as LTE, but does it really bother you where you'd give up unlimited data?

I'd even take unlimited data with Sprint 3G speeds, if I could. Well maybe not. They seem to work relatively well here though.

5. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

im still within my 30 day return period, I assumed at&t would also reverse my upgrade. but if they wont, i could sell the phone, pay ETF and still come out ahead.

and yea, simultaneous voice and unlimited data are whats keeping me. but the network has been so strained now, that even H+ speeds are choking. i guess i just got all pumped up for LTE, and its all just falling short of my expectations. ill probably just suck it up and wait for LTE to become more widely expanded.

6. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Try calling AT&T and tell them you're not locking on to the LTE network consistently and ask if they can re-register your iPhone 5 for LTE service. It may improve things if there's an issue.

8. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

done that 3 times, at least. im located in NJ and plan on going to the at&t store soon to try to rectify it for the last time before i switch.

9. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

heres my "4G" speed test. pathetic.

Attached Files:

10. dictoresno, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

just wanted to update this thread, for anyone else in this predicament.

I went to the at&t store on saturday, after explaining my data woes to customer service for days. they insisted it was a bad SIM card provisioning, so i swapped it out. i immediately noticed the network was still extremely slow, download speeds ranging from 0.07 to 3 Mbps down on 4G. i was also still unable to hold an LTE signal, after at&t insisted i should be able to get it in my area without issue. i responded to the apple store and explained my situation. they let me return/refund my at&t iphone 5 and gave me a verizon one they luckily had in stock. i was worried i would regret this decision, but i definitely dont. their LTE network here is fully blanketed and i get consistent 30 Mbps download speeds. couldnt be happier. and on a side note, my battery life on verizon is ALOT better then when on at&t. i had 4 hours of use, 19 hours of standby and was still around 64% remaining.

11. sdfu93 macrumors newbie

I had the 4S on AT&T and was used to seeing the 4G indicator. Regardless of how horrible the actual speed can be in congested Chicago, it gives me a fake, fuzzy, warm feeling. When my iPhone 5 on Verizon reverts back to the 2G circle indicator I'm alarmed and feel like I've taken a time machine back to 2007 (have not seen it since the first iPhone when EDGE wasn't everywhere).

If you are considering Verizon, buy from Apple for the 30 day return policy and try the phone everywhere. In testing and comparing to Verizon's coverage maps, I've found that anything near an "LTE Extended" area means you'll get 3G 99.9% of the time.

If you're on an unlimited AT&T plan, you have about 5GB until you are throttled, while you'll pay $10/gb on Verizon.