iPhone 6(S)(+) What should I do with my 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wirenut, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Wirenut macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 6S on the day it was released, which means it will be paid off in a month or two.

I would keep it, but I don't like how slow many things seem. When I go to voicemail, it plays the last voicemail for a few seconds before playing the one I just clicked on. Many things lag and show me the last thing that I looked at instead of what should be there.

So I guess I will get a new iPhone. What should I do with the 6S?

I am asking here because this issue with the old phone slowing down is the only reason I would get rid of it.

2. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Have u checked with coconut if not a bad battery is the reason for apples slow down function?

If u don't know what to do you can always send it to me. I will handle it with care:)

3. soanis macrumors regular

soanis

Try and replace the battery at an Apple Store, see what happens...
    Or, dispose of it by sending it my way ;)

4. orev macrumors 6502

Wait until 11.3 is released and see if your slowdowns are because of battery throttling.

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have been turning mine into Best Buy for Gift Cards. Less hassle then selling---

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Definitely check battery condition or just get it replaced regardless. If it doesn’t speed back up, restore it as new using iTunes and I’ll bet it fixes your issues. My backup 6S works great and doesn’t have the issues your suffering..

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t sell my devices online, to avoid the potential risk of fraud. If you decide to sell it, you could do so locally or trade it in to your local carrier for promotions or trade in incentives for a new device.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Check the status of the battery and if it qualifies for replacement, do so. Once you get it running like it should, consider keeping it as a backup phone / ipod.

9. Hal~9000, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

Hal~9000 macrumors 68020

Hal~9000

It seems you have a few options:

1) Use the Geekbench 4 app to see what your CPU performance scores are vs what they should be. If you are being throttled you can do either one of the 2a/2b/2c steps below.

2a) Wipe your 6s, via iTunes Resore or “Erase All Content And Settings”. After you set up your phone again, install the Geekbench 4 app and see if you are still being throttled.

2b) Install iOS 11.3 beta which allows you to disable Apple's software throttling.

2c) Replace your battery through Apple for $29. If your battery capacity has been worn down over time and your device was getting throttled via Apple software (diagnosed via step 1 above), getting a new battery through Apple should solve this issue.

3) Last resort: upgrade to a new device.

10. Altis macrumors 68030

Makes sense... I'd wager the single biggest reason people replace their phone.

Definitely check out the battery situation though as the throttling can be severe and have a dramatic effect on the performance (despite what some around here claim). A new battery could very well bring it back to life.

It's sad that a phone Apple still sells as new for $600 is already getting bogged down by iOS "updates", though.

11. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Is your 6s eligible for a battery replacement? Either the $29 variety or the eligible for the battery recall? Have you ascertained if the phone is “throttled”. If so try iOS 11.3 public beta and turn off the throttling and see if it makes a difference.

My 6s, bought 11/15 after the battery replacement is doing very well in the speed department. IMO, it’s faster in iOS 11.3 than the installed operating system of iOS 9. The final suggestion is a dfu restore.

12. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Sell it or keep it til the next iPhone comes out.

13. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

+1 on checking out the battery. I just moved from SE to 8+ because I wanted the bigger screen and battery, to sort of "renew the support" in terms of iOS updates in case I want to keep it for 4 years, 3D touch, and more bells and whistles. But the SE was still running absolutely perfectly, and that uses the same hardware as the 6S. I don't really see any performance difference between them (or weirdly enough, screen content... 4" to 5.5" on iOS isn't the big deal it could be)

Don't know about USD.... in the UK the 6S would fetch £250-300 I believe, on eBay. I got my 8+ for 500 though (refurb pristine) which was a bargain. To me, it's 100% worth £300/200 to upgrade from SE/6S to 8+. Is it worth it at full price? Ehhhhh I don't know. Unless hankerin' for a waterproof phone, wireless charging and camera upgrade, then purely looking at things from a cost perspective I'd probably have stuck with the 6S for another year. Then see if the iPhone XI / XS / X 10.1 irons things out price/notch/faceID wise.

14. Wirenut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I had my battery replaced a while back when they were doing it for free due to that recall, not sure exactly how long ago but it was over a year.

I am still using the same install as my original iPhone 3G since I always chose "Restore" when getting a new iPhone. Maybe that is the issue. So I think the best course of action based on all the advice is to get a new battery and then do a new Restore from scratch.

Two questions, to get a new battery for $29 I have to make an appointment and go wait another 3 hours at the Apple store? Second, the only way to do a clean Restore of my iPhone is to use iTunes? I don't have iTunes right now and wasn't planning on using it anymore since I backup to the iCloud.

15. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I had a 6+ that I had from day 1. I kept it in great condition and was able to sell it on swappa for $250. I priced it $10 under the average competition and got a sale within a couple of days. I also included the original box, documentation, headphones, and 3 cases.

I guess I got lucky with the buyer who was ecstatic about it and gave me a 5 star review which will help with future items to be sold. Results not typical, but I was happy and less pissed about my X purchase (price wise). BB was only offering $150 trade in so I did well for 3+ year tech.

Edit: adding to my story to maybe help OP, I did not replace the battery which did need replacing. However the seller never complained and I assume she would have taken advantage of the battery swap.

16. thisismyusername, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

thisismyusername macrumors 6502

I'd keep it. The 6S is still a good phone. Heck, I'm still using a 5S. I'd love to have the power of a 6S :)

My wife just had her 6S battery replaced. We didn't make an appointment at first. We just walked in as soon as they opened but they had to order the battery. It took a week or 2 for it to come in. Once it was in, we made an appointment to come in and get it replaced which took less than an hour. She even got a new display, which they claimed is for a newer phone and better than what comes with the 6S, for free (Apple broke it while replacing the battery).

17. balderoine macrumors member

balderoine

Take advantage of the brand-spanking-new-OEM-Apple-serviced $29 Apple battery replacement to make it fast lightning again. Sell it on Swappa dot com and get a few bucks so you can treat yourself to a burrito.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Have noticed that The iPhone 6S has increased in price point, especially if it’s in really good condition and then you add in the $29 battery replacement, that’s a huge selling point. I still think the iPhone 6s was one of the best models Apple has made out of the last four generations.

19. Royksöpp, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

I would get the battery replaced and see what happens. It's still a great phone. I've had mine since February of 2016 and have kept it on iOS 10 so performance is still buttery smooth. I thought about selling but it would be too big of a loss. I love my 6s and I plan on keeping it for as long as I can. You should get the battery replaced and wait till iOS 11.3 before you make a decision to sell or trade.

20. Wirenut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the posts guys.

In addition to the new battery I think I will ask Apple to reset it and give me a clean OS installation since it's still the same as my original 3G.

21. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

My 5C my grandchildren play with, my SE my husband uses it for an ipod to listen to music, I sold all my others on ebay.

22. Wirenut thread starter macrumors regular

Personally I don't see the point in using a second device as an iPod since whatever phone I am using can do it.

I sold 2 of my iPhones in the past and made decent money. I traded my iPhone 4S into Amazon for $258.00. But at those times I was eager to get a new phone. Now I am happy with the 6S if the lag could be fixed.

23. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

24. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

Yeah, that restore from your 3G is 100% killing your performance. That is seven generations worth of iOS updates, pretty crazy you stuck with it this long! I can almost guarantee once you get a clean install of iOS 11 on your 6s, you will see your performance back to how it should be. Good luck.

:apple:

25. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

My husband uses my se as an ipod because he refuses to have a smartphone and likes to listen to music with headphones. My grandson's play on my 5C like a tablet.