Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
For those in similar situations, I called Apple and they are having a new battery sent to my local Apple Store. The store will let me know what it is there. The person I spoke to said that it doesn't matter that I got a new battery for the recall last year, anyone can get a new one now for $29.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Swappa is easy and you get a nice profit. My guess is best buy bends people over.

Personally, I would rather take the gift card as well from Best Buy, even if that means a reduction in the price. I just avoid selling online anymore with eBay or Swappa, as the risk sometimes isn’t worth the reward.

Reactions: Hal~9000

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Personally, I would rather take the gift card as well from Best Buy, even if that means a reduction in the price. I just avoid selling online anymore with eBay or Swappa, as the risk sometimes isn’t worth the reward.
There's zero risk on swappa. I've sold 4 phones and never had any issues.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There's zero risk on swappa. I've sold 4 phones and never had any issues.

So you’re implying there is zero risk of somebody attempting to fraud somebody else of a phone on Swappa? It’s no different than eBay, but just likely less of a probability because it’s more of a tech oriented website. You can’t say there is “zero risk” when there has been other honest members who have been victimized by fraudulent buyers on Swappa for selling iPhones. Your logic Simply isn’t true saying there is zero risk. That’s great that you have never had any issues, but you can’t say/imply the same for everybody’s else’s experience either, nor imply there is zero risk.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I have a launch 6S as well, and did the free battery replacement under the recall program. It still performs great aside from quirks of iOS11 itself.
If I were you, I would wait for 11.3, and then see the battery performance. If it needs to be replaced, do so, and you can probably enjoy the 6S for another year or so.

The 6S is a great phone.
It is the first iPhone with 2GB of RAM.
It is the first iPhone to support ARKit.
I can see it still performing well for another year or two, and even then I can see it performing well even on its last supported iOS version (kinda like the iPhone 5).

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Thanks for all the info guys.

In an attempt to start spending less money and being so wasteful, I looked into getting a cheap smartphone. But then I realized that my 6S has better specs than the cheap smartphones, so why not just keep it? There's no need to replace a phone every 2 years, at least not for me. So with the new battery and a clean install of iOS I think I should be good for another year or two.

I actually do less and less on my smartphone than I have in the past. Right now the only smartphone features I use are visual voicemail with transcription and speech to text when text messaging. I may look up something on the web or read an email, but it's never a necessity.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I always find a use for my old devices (when I'm not trading in that is) for example I still have a first generation iPad and I went to Target, got a $5 picture frame holder that sits on a desk and then put the iPad in it with the weather channel app on all the time. To this day it sits in our living room right next to the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.