What should I do with my current iPhone... keep or sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myosh, Jun 17, 2010.

1. myosh macrumors member

I want to throw this out to the community. I'm going through my first iPhone upgrade as I am replacing my current iPhone (Original 8gb, 2G/EDGE) with the new iPhone 4. What I want to know is what should I do with my current iPhone?

I went through the process at Gazelle.com where they will give me $83 for my old phone which is better than me trying to sell it on eBay or Craigslist. But what I want to know is if I were to keep it, could I use it as a backup phone if I were to lose or damage the new one?

Let me know what you think because I want to explore all my options.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I would keep it as it is a beautiful phone and a piece of Apple History. $83 isn't worth it.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I just took my 3G off the market, waiting for the influx to die down since I have the funds to buy the cash outright. Got one bite for a new 3G 32Gb w/ box and accessories for 300 yeah right lol.

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

5. myosh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.

I think I will keep it but I need to find out how to cancel the Gazelle.com transaction.

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yep def keep it. My kids still use my 1st gen as an iPod touch for games and music. It would be a shame to sell it.

7. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I'm faced with the same situation but with my first gen 8Gb iPod Touch, they will only sell for £20 on the recycle websites and no one bids for them on eBay and once I get my iPhone 4 it will just be retired to a draw some where so I'm thinking that its only £20 but its better then me finding it 4-5 years down the line and it been worthless.......

8. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'm wondering if i can still get about $200 for my 8gb 3G. I'd be happy with 150 too. I'm afraid to look on ebay.

9. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Gazelle is offering like $125 for an 8Gb 3G.

I am sure I could get $75 more - (more even as mine is jailbroken/unlocked?) but it is no hassle to use that service it seems, so I am giving them a try.

Anyone use them successfully or think that $125 for an unlocked 3G 8gb is not worth it?

10. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

In the same boat as well. I have a 32GB 3GS, and an 8GB 3G. Neither are selling for anything on EBay currently. Prudence suggests that the prices will go back up once the deluge of iPhones subsides.
    So, hang on to your phone till this crush is over. Try again on EBay in August/September.

11. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I thought about selling my 3GS ahead of time, but the thought of having to live with an ancient dumb phone for a few weeks killed me. So, I'm gonna hold onto mine for a month or two until the market clears and then sell it. I'm going to keep it J/B on 3.1.2 with the 5.11.07 baseband for now just to be safe and see if an unlock is made available for the official 4.0.

12. TaylorBoi macrumors member

Having it jailbroken and unlocked is a big plus. People will definitely pay more. I put mines up for sale about 4 days ago and its already sold. There are a lot of 3gs out there for sale though so the wait could benefit you.

13. brewser macrumors regular

I am selling mine to Gazelle. They are giving about $273 for the 3Gs so that about covers the cost of the new phone. My wife's 3G is worth about $160 so that is close to the cost of the $200 phone.
    I think it's a great trade in deal so the new phone won't cost you much. I agree that the 1st gen phones won't get you much but that is the price of waiting so long to upgrade.
    It's better then going through ebay and all their fee's. You might get more off ebay but is it worth the hassle?

14. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

$273!? I just put in a 32GB 3GS in "perfect" condition with all the boxes ticked and it is telling me $232.

15. ovation802 macrumors member

canceling gazelle transaction

If you have an account you can log in and cancel there - if you did it with out an account- it wont matter. They do not come looking for you :)
    Disclaimer- used to work at gazelle when they were known as SecondRotation...

16. jfk3674 macrumors member

I'm keeping mine as an ipod touch and dedicated remote for my apple TV. It will be docked right next to it. That way I can have a better remote than the one it came with.

17. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

How trustworthy is gazelle?

I mean, what if I know its condition is excellent, but they lowball deem it as only good? Do they contact first before they send the under-payment?

18. IsaiahC macrumors newbie

Used to work at Gazelle? So how legit is this. They said they can give me $200 for my iPhone 3GS 8GB. Which is a pretty good deal considering RadioShack only offered $100.

I've only heard of Gazelle in the past week. Have you ever had any problems?

19. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

20. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

How about donating to someone who can't afford a phone at all? Try googling cell phone donations. Quite a few options will come up. You could probably write it off on your taxes as well for more than you would take in cash.

21. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I assume you're talking about donating it to a shelter/other for 911 purposes only. Certainly someone who can't afford to pay for a phone can't afford the monthly bill, either...

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

ain't that for true...

though in some states you can get a free car with all the trimmings if you're a welfare recipient. I'm sure there is something where one can get their cell phone bill paid too lol.

23. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

after looking through completed listings on EbaY for 16gb 3GS phones the average price $265- $400, depending on accessories, condition.

I wont take less than $300 for mine with shipping included. I doubt I will have too. Plan on starting my auction this week, letting it end the day before launch, then ship on launch day.

Blonde Buddhist

24. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Linkage?

25. myosh thread starter macrumors member

I don't have an account with them so last night, I sent an e-mail to customercare@ asking that my transaction be cancelled. Received an e-mail this morning from Gazelle telling me the transaction has been cancelled. I just wish I had known of this company a few years ago when I was trying to unload my dual 1 GHz MDD PowerMac (which is still sitting here collecting dust).