Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiwiFromNZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Hi all,
Firstly I would like to say hi to everyone as I am new here!
Recently I have won an iPhone 5s in a competition. As the iPhone 6 is going to be announced soon, I was wondering if it would be better to sell my iPhone 5s (I haven't received it yet), and use the money to but the iPhone 6, or just use the 5s? What do you guys think.

Thank you :)

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Get the cash for the iPhone 6.

Seriously, take my advice. You have earned my first reply in 2 years.

KiwiFromNZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Keep the 5S and use it.
It's a good phone, it's future proof, so you'll be good.

Thanks juanrp, I think I will probably do that. If the new iPhone 6 is anything like the leaks it doesn't look that great anyway. Anyone have any reasons I shouldn't stay with the 5s?

----------

Get the cash for the iPhone 6.

Seriously, take my advice. You have earned my first reply in 2 years.

What's your reasoning behind this suggestion? Would be interested to know. :)

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I would never get an Apple product within a month of its new successor.

I got my iPhone 2ish months before it's successors successor came out.
I sees where you're coming from, but the iPhone 5s is a very powerful device. It's chip hasn't even been used to its full potential.
Back to my original point, it is very future proof.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
What should I do?

Hi all,

Recently I have won an iPhone 5s in a competition. As the iPhone 6 is going to be announced soon, I was wondering if it would be better to sell my iPhone 5s (I haven't received it yet), and use the money to but the iPhone 6, or just use the 5s? What do you guys think.

The iPhone 5S will probably be Apple's longest supported iPhone to date. You could easily stick with it for a few years without trouble.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The iPhone 5S is a great phone and will serve you very well. Not sure why you think the 6 won't be worthy based on the leaks though? It'll be an improvement on the current line up for sure.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Hi all,

If you can afford it, sell it and get the 6. If money is really tight, enjoy the 5S.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
The iphone 5s is a great phone as mentioned.

The vast majority on this board assume EVERYONE wants and needs the next new phone. Bad assumption.

Since NOBODY here knows exactly all the details on the 6, and NOBODY here knows your likes, wants and needs, NOBODY here can really advise you at this point.

Since you are getting the phone, you do not have a choice of waiting for the 6...other than keeping your newly "won" phone in NEW, NEVER USED condition which would be worth a few more bucks if you sell it.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
All depends on your situation.. If it were me I'd keep it wrapped up until needed, if better than my current device I'd use it as long as possible. By then I'd be eligible for an upgrade naturally anyway

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Ill make it easier for you. If you won an iPhone 4s, 9 days before the iPhone 5 announcement, what phone would you rather have? The iPhone 5 was a HUGE upgrade in every way compared to the iPhone 4s.

The iPhone 5s is a good phone, now. But a new revamped iPhone 6 is only 9 days away and will be better in speed, camera, signal, screen, etc. Also it will have something the iPhone 5s can't do. Also if you ever might of considered getting the iWatch, the iPhone 6 might get some exclusive features that work with it.

Now this is all speculation, but if true, will you have changed your mind?

You could list the iPhone as Brand New In Box for $600 BuyItNow on eBay and sell it in a few days. Then pay less then $100 for the iPhone 6.

SELL IT!!!

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
With how close we are to the 6, I would sell it. It's going to be even easier and closer considering you haven't even received the phone yet!!!

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Ill make it easier for you. If you won an iPhone 4s, 9 days before the iPhone 5 announcement, what phone would you rather have? The iPhone 5 was a HUGE upgrade in every way compared to the iPhone 4s.

The iPhone 5s is a good phone, now. But a new revamped iPhone 6 is only 9 days away and will be better in speed, camera, signal, screen, etc. Also it will have something the iPhone 5s can't do. Also if you ever might of considered getting the iWatch, the iPhone 6 might get some exclusive features that work with it.

Now this is all speculation, but if true, will you have changed your mind?

You could list the iPhone as Brand New In Box for $600 BuyItNow on eBay and sell it in a few days. Then pay less then $100 for the iPhone 6.

SELL IT!!!

Exactly. Sale the 5s pay difference for new and improved 6.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi all,

I would advice on selling it then using that cash for the new iPhone. However do bare in mind the following: getting a new iPhone is a thing of staying up late (2AM in many cases) to get in the size, color and network you want; otherwise, you'll be left with nothing but a back ordered phone which can take several days/weeks to get to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.