What should i do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hypertc13, Jul 9, 2009.

1. hypertc13 macrumors regular

Right now i have a 2.33 macbook pro(late 2006 model) it is now 2 1/2 years old. The battery is now shot and the hard drive is completely full. Just to get a new battery and a nice hard drive in it would run around $300.
    I am really tempted to buy either a new 13" of low end 15" macbook pro. I think i could get close to a $1000 for my laptop. I am also a student so i would get the discount and the free ipod. Do you think i should go ahead and buy a new one or just upgrade my current one? Thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you could get $1000, I'd do it, but given the current state of the market, I'm doubting you could get that. (The Market is the Used MacBook Pro market, it's not being so kind)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you can get 1000$ for your current one, sure, new ones are better of course

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you feel your current laptop can no longer keep up with your demands, then yes, its a good thing to buy a newer one. However, just because a HD is full and a battery is shot, I find it hardly an excuse. It's better to spend those $300 rather than $1000.

Might I add, that if you do manage to get $1000 for it, then it would also be an incentive to buy a newer one.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if you like the new ones then yeah go ahead and sell that old one you have and get yourself something new. U will get that new Mac smell that these toys have for a few weeks.

6. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

I would more than likely sell the ipod that comes with it since i dont really need it, which would take off another 200 or so

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you can get 1000$ for you current MBP go for it but it can be hard, and you have to get a new battery for it anyway, nobody is going to pay $1k for Mac without battery

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Give it a shot, but I doubt you will get $1,000 for it.

9. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

so far i have had an offer of $850

10. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Replacing the battery (obviously you'd delete the HD, so that's irrelevant) could definitely increase the selling price of your MBP with a small investment.

If you buy a refurb MBP you won't be adding TOO much money.

11. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

I have thought about getting a refurb but i'm attracted to the new battery, and i never use the express card slot so i wont be missing any of the features

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm serious, if you can get that money you should totally do it, but as many have posted following me and now above me, that seems extremely difficult to do. The offers for my 17" were not pretty at all.

13. Skull21 macrumors regular

Where are you selling your mac? I'm planning to sell mine as well

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well neither one of you can sell it on here as you are both not qualified for the Marketplace yet. Craigslist would seem like the place given the OP stated that there have been offers made. Although it could be eBay, but it seems unlikely given the uncertainty of the OP.

15. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'd say sell it. $300 is a lot of money to put into an older machine.

16. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i have it listed on craigslist and not ebay

17. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

I planned on selling it and getting a new one once my applecare ran out(which happens next february). however with the recent updates i am tempted to do it now. However i think it will be much easier to sell with a couple months of applecare left so the buyer has a little piece of mind in case something does go wrong

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would attempt to sell it now. However, the MacBook Pro market has taken a deep dip over the past couple of months.

19. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

If you want a new one...by all means, sell your MBP and go for it.

I'm one of those guys that always has to have the latest/greatest. Right now I'm fighting the urge to sell my CE Macbook (2.0Ghz, 4GB ram, 500GB hdd) because I covet the new 13" MBP with upgradeability to 8GB of ram (I use my laptop for demo's, which involves running numerous VM's at the same time...so the higher ram ceiling is extremely appealing.

20. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

I know what you mean the macbook pro i have only recognizes around 3.5 gb of RAM. I am considering keeping mine and maybe just getting one of the 13" mbp just for the size and portability. I could just use that to take to class and on the road with me. And use my current one more as a desktop

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...make your old machine a media server and then buy what you want...