What should i get for school? MBP or Ipad3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Infinikev, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Infinikev macrumors newbie

HI, i'm about to buy a new laptop for my next year of highschool, as well as other use.

I'd mainly use my laptop for typing document, surfing the web, rendering and encoding videos/uploading (imovie), playing games through bootcamp or app store.

I don't mind the weight of carrying it for i get a ride to school, my budget is $2100 before tax. I like the idea of an ipad as it is very powerfull but im kind of looking into this Mac book pro:

15-inch: 2.4 GHz
    2.4GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    750GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5

Thank you in advance for suggestions, have atleast a short explanation on your suggestion. Im also open to computers outside of apple.

2. Jarland macrumors regular

Truthfully, I'd split the target in two and get a lesser MBP and an iPad 2. iPad is almost a laptop replacement, but we're not there yet for most people. But it can take a huge dent out of the laptop for sure.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

whats the question?

can that computer handle what you say you would use it for? the answer is of course it would you didn't list anything that demanding and thats a very powerful machine

4. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but i have an ipod 4 and getting of either buying the next gen iphone or the 4s instead of my blackberry, and the ipad 3 only seems like a bigger more powerful version of those with a big screen

5. imagine18 macrumors newbie

If the portability of a laptop isn't a major player than could it be worth looking into using a desktop iMac alongside an iPad? You'd have the portability of the iPad/laptop whilst having the powerhouse of an iMac for gaming and video encoding? A lot of the apps you might use for school would then sync with the iMac (maybe even over iCloud) so you'd have everything you need whenever you need it.

The laptop you've had a look at seems pretty promising though - remember, you can update the RAM yourself rather easily instead of paying through Apple, and as far as I'm aware it doesn't entirely void the Applecare warranty. However, if I'm wrong then please someone correct me - it's still a bit of a grey area and I'm not entirely sure where Apple stand on this!

6. Jarland macrumors regular

Seems that way until you get one. I thought it was a big, stupid iPod. Now my phone is a mini iPad to me. Regardless, even a 13 inch MBP would do you fine, maybe freeing up some funds for those upgrades.

7. chilly7 macrumors member

I pad is very nice thing, but i don't think that it can be replaced by a laptop.
    Well awrything that u described i guess I would suggest u to get a macbook air, but the only problem is games.

Well it deped what kind of games do u want to play, so u can pretty easely end up with top of the line macbookpro 17 for games, just depend what kind of games do u want to play. :)

p.s. But even the top of the line current macbook pro does not have a very nice video card, i hope they will put a good one in the next macbookpro

8. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

Im askin what kind of device should i get, and those are the tasks it would have to do, im just saying what would be the better

9. Jarland macrumors regular

For any video editing, don't trust an iPad. It's good, just not reliable all the time.

10. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

Im thinkin of minecraft and maybe some custom zombies (through bootcamp), yes i saw the video card, i hope the next gen one will have a better card

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

get the MBP if you have the budget

12. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but all i might do is record gameplay vids for youtube, copy to ipad and add effects, save, and upload on 4g lte speeds

----------

That's what im thinkin but ppl are always suggesting other laptops too like the alienware m14x and such while others that have the ipad 3 are getting through school pretty well with the ipad 3

13. chilly7 macrumors member

if playing games are involved
    +1 :)

14. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

THe thing is though ive already have black ops zombies adn world at war zombies purchased as an universal download as well as have a 40$ to kill on minecraft app for ipad, but i know ill be too addicted to do work with it though

----------

THanks i was thinkin that i have a 8gb ram thats in my old dinasaur acer laptopthat i can transfer. Honestly never cared about warrenty, but i'm pretty sure your right

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You can not install bootcamp on the iPad!
    You can not play any OSX or Windows games on the iPad!

Games on the iPad are different from PC games... very limited in my opinion, unless you like steering a race car by tilting the iPad.

I can't imagine typing long texts on the iPad... but maybe I'm just too old for the new generation of electronic toys.

16. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but most of the games like minecraft and callof duty, battlefield are on the app store already. and i have a bluetooth keyboard for my ipod (which works with ipad and iphone too)

17. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Uploading HD videos on LTE? Do you have the option for unlimited bandwidth?

18. Jarland macrumors regular

If you think you can do it, I bet you can. I do. I sold my laptop.

19. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

No but iM SURE I CAN pay for the 10 gb and just go over every month

20. njean777 macrumors 6502

Had an ipad for school and got rid of it mid semester. Trying to access online classes and work online was a nightmare and it didn't work half the time thanks to flash. So I would just go Macbook pro to be safe and not worry.

21. hypermog macrumors regular

If you are talking about Minecraft Pocket Edition and Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies, these iOS games pale in comparison to their MacOS and Windows counterparts. EA has permanently shelved the iOS version of Battlefield after pulling it from the App Store last month due to complaints of quality.

Do not buy an iPad if your primary usage case is games, unless you are very interested in Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, various board games, seek and find adventures, and farmville / mafia wars clones.

However, sounds like you're not much of a gamer (or techie), and maybe you just want to impress your friends with the smaller and sleeker device.

TL;DR You've got $2100 burning a hole in your pocket and no particular usage needs.

22. Infinikev, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

BUt my school only has window computers and ipad version of pages cant convert to the word format

----------

Thats true, but i want to get a high end device now as im not allowed to get one tilll i reach university, and thats like 3 years. And thankyou i never new about EA shelving their app

23. njean777 macrumors 6502

School work or games, what is more important?

24. Infinikev thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess school so imma go with a laptop, i have an android tablet anyways (anyone have a suggestion for a better laptop (including windows)

25. njean777 macrumors 6502

why dont you just get a 15in macbook pro with a decent videocard and office for mac?