Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinikev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
why dont you just get a 15in macbook pro with a decent videocard and office for mac?

This pretty decent thats why i picked it and i already get a diiscount by 100$ or something (i know not that much, but im not really working)
15-inch: 2.4 GHz:

2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
This pretty decent thats why i picked it and i already get a diiscount by 100$ or something (i know not that much, but im not really working)

2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

That laptop should be fine for games. Of course you are not gonna be able to have them all on ultra, but it should run most games just fine. If you really want a all out gaming laptop go with alienware.

felixgun

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
For school i'd definitely get a MBP (or MBA). It's a lot easier for Word/Powerpoint/Etc. which you will be using ALL the time.

Infinikev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
That laptop should be fine for games. Of course you are not gonna be able to have them all on ultra, but it should run most games just fine. If you really want a all out gaming laptop go with alienware.

Maybe iunno yet, i have to make my decision by today but it is going to be bought on august

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
HI, i'm about to buy a new laptop for my next year of highschool, as well as other use.

I'd mainly use my laptop for typing document, surfing the web, rendering and encoding videos/uploading (imovie), playing games through bootcamp or app store.

I don't mind the weight of carrying it for i get a ride to school, my budget is $2100 before tax. I like the idea of an ipad as it is very powerfull but im kind of looking into this Mac book pro:

15-inch: 2.4 GHz
2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Thank you in advance for suggestions, have atleast a short explanation on your suggestion. Im also open to computers outside of apple.

An iPad is no replacement for this computer. If you are considering iPad or computer, the MacBook Air is the only Apple that should be anywhere near considerable. A i7 MBPro would eat any iPad for lunch. That said, that MacBook is more than many people need. A lot of people are happy with an iPad and no laptop. It is entirely subjective, but my guess is you'll want a real laptop for school.

Infinikev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Alright i decided to get that particular model:
2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

buy 16 gb ram, for i donnt need to run games on ultra, for once i start working ill upgrade my desktop, and this machine seems fine and there are rumours of there being a next gen macbook by april to june so ill get that. Thank you for all your input

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
BUt my school only has window computers and ipad version of pages cant convert to the word format

----------

Thats true, but i want to get a high end device now as im not allowed to get one tilll i reach university, and thats like 3 years. And thankyou i never new about EA shelving their app

First app I suggest is CloudOn. There are also multiple apps that import and export word compatible documents. Finding the right app for every need is a challenge that I enjoy, so I'm happy to give advice on making an iPad your primary device. It's so fun to be so mobile and yet so capable, but I do have an iMac for gaming and Final Cut.

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
Thanks but i have an ipod 4 and getting of either buying the next gen iphone or the 4s instead of my blackberry, and the ipad 3 only seems like a bigger more powerful version of those with a big screen

Seems like you've already made your decision.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
Alright i decided to get that particular model:
2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

buy 16 gb ram, for i donnt need to run games on ultra, for once i start working ill upgrade my desktop, and this machine seems fine and there are rumours of there being a next gen macbook by april to june so ill get that. Thank you for all your input

sounds like a good choice, i too am planing on getting the next gen macbook pro. you can always buy an ipad if you wish down the road. and i would get openoffice instead of microsoft office. its free and can be converted and the ability read/right on your schools windows ms office.

chilly7

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012

it is fanny not so recent ago the top of the line Alienware 18.4 laptop was for about 8.000 dollars.
Just with anocentment of Ivy Bridge they went to about 5.000 dollars

Ofcause it had a dual top of the line nvidia graphic, i7 extreme CPU, 1 tb of solid state drive, bluray drive, 32gb of Ram and so on.

I wish apple would offer something similar like i7 extreme cpu and ability to put two solidstate drives in to in their macbooks pros:cool:

----------

2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

I think 100$ discount is all around here, in Canada in the major stores they also have 100-200$ discount on all macbooks pro.
The same happend for Ipad 2 in two weeks before a new I pad was anocented.
So i guess it is a clear sign that a new Macbook pro is really around the corner.

I am wanting too to parchase a new macbook pro but 17 inch model for a heavy music production, but i really want to wait for a new replacment because IvyBridge performance increas will be quait useful for me.

But If u like it, that's all that metters
Good luck!!! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.