What size iPad 3 should i go for?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slimswannie, Mar 15, 2012.

1. slimswannie macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Mac user and iPhone but this will be my first iPad. I haven't reserved but apparently my local will have stock. Anyway, i'm a little concerned that the new iPhoto, iMovie and garageband will hog capacity. Originally planned for the 16GB but now considering 32GB. To us in the UK, its like another £80 for that model and not so sure i would use it. Any thoughts/comments would help?

Thanks

Michael

2. AndoAU macrumors newbie

Better to pay that little extra and have too much space, then to skimp and not have enough & be stuck with an iPad that doesn't do everything you want it to do.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

64GB. Better have it and not need than need it and not have it. Go big, or go home. Bigger is better. Big boat go or no go.

4. Shorties macrumors 6502a

With the iPad 2 I originally was planning to get a 16GB but they only had a 32GB. Within a month I had nearly 16GB's worth of stuff on it apps, some photos, some saved data, but that was mostly it. By the end of the year though I had the whole thing full, with only my regular (Couple hundred tracks) playlist synced, and apps+app data. With the retina display I am worrying its going to be even easier to fill the 16GB, so I think if you can afford it 32GB will be nice to have a little breathing room. I also am on the fence (I already sold my iPad 2). I want to get the LTE one for sure, but with tax at 32GB's its nearly $800 and I just don't know if I can afford that, so I'm considering the 16gb one, but I just worry about feeling constrained with it.

5. ri0ku, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

ri0ku macrumors 6502a

When i bought the original iPad I got 32gb..... I havnt even used 16gb up on it... so when I decide to buy the 3rd gen I'm going 16gb.

Why? Because when I watch a movie I delete it.. i won't watch it again for a long time.... not every single app I install is good either so i just delete them...and only keep ones I really enjoy on the device.

16gb is plenty of space.... (well for me) I also don't put my entire music library on the iPad as i think its pointless... my iPhone has it and its portable and fits in my pocket which is more handy for listening to music.

6. johngrant75 macrumors member

johngrant75

64GB - The apps will become huge soon, HD footage will soak up space, if you're using iMovie / iPhoto with RAW images you'll be glad of that extra space.

I guess it's down to how much the cost difference between models means to you. ENJOY.

7. tanboom macrumors member

The app size is becoming amazing, thanks to retina display ;) Go for the 64 one if budget permits. Next ipad will be either having more space or external storage :rolleyes:

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

16GB

will you actually use those apps?

9. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

At least 32GB. Apps on The New iPad will require more storage because of the higher resolution.

10. monkeylui macrumors 6502

Look at your needs. But I would generally recommend 32 or 64

11. GaiaAero macrumors regular

If I wanted to exchange my 16GB for a 32GB tomorrow, would the chances of me walking out with the 32GB be slim? :confused:

12. rjan22, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

rjan22 macrumors newbie

Buy the 16gb and use the $100 to buy a pogoplug and attach a 500gb usb hard drive, and still have some -+$25 change, all photos you have upload it on pogoplug as long as you are online tethered on iphone you have a 500gb photo / videos with you on the go, and if you have extra cash buy a vulkano flow, so you can watch your cable channels wirelessly, watch your dvr recordings anywhere as long as you are tethered or wifi connected, plus if you get the vulkano lava or best is the blast model, you can make it as a dvr and record your cable movies, news, tv shows, on an iPad format and just upload it on ipad to watch it even without internet, my family in asia can even watch my comcast xfinity cable when I am sleeping so the monthly I payed is well worth it for my xfinity. Hehe

And pogoplug can even automatically upload every photos and videos you took from your iPad 3rd gen, just turn the auto upload on the settings, i wish I just bought a 16gb i4s instead of 32gb, and you can even stream mp3 from pogoplug on your iphone , ipad and make a playlist.

13. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly, even as a gamer I have used roughly 9gb of my 16.

14. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

15. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Go for the 9.8 inch one. It's the size of a standard sheet of paper!

16. rjan22, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

rjan22 macrumors newbie

Gamer? You mean unemployed? :p

17. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

ive had an iphone since they released, never gotten more than the 16 gb thanks to spotify, and netflix the only things that took up space were apps and photos.

i got my first ipad too, went with the 16 gb. Its plenty, just delete old games you dont play anymore. you can always redownload them if you ever get the urge

18. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

More like 15 years old ;)

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

I would go for the 9.7" iPad 3. :p

20. ElCidRo macrumors regular

I would go for the 128GB
    but its not there yet so go for the 64GB :)

Seriously though - get the max capacity you can afford

21. Dane9 macrumors member

I have 16GB you can see in App store retina apps section the apps have a good size, with 16GB you can make a good manage of your files, i have 50 apps and 30 books and still 8GB left, and of these books when i read i will delete, apps i don't use all, so probably i will delete some too..

16GB is the best for a casual user

22. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I originally purchased a 32GB with LTE to replace my 32GB iPad 2. But between iPhoto for iOS and the new display, I found myself copying over a lot of photos to the iPad for editing, creating albums, etc. That quickly bumped up against the 32GB limit, so I exchanged it for a 64GB today. The key is to choose based on what you think you WILL be using in 6-12 months down the road rather than what you're using today.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

By all means, buy the biggest, Apple needs the money :)

24. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

went with 16gb, but I dont have many movies or music to put on it.

25. EarlZ macrumors regular

64Gb, I dont see why anyone would want anything less.