What size USB drive needed for Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Primus84, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Primus84 macrumors 6502

What size is the dmg file for Lion - need to know if my 4gb USB pen drive is big enough!

2. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Should fit onto a 4GB external drive:

From my external 8GB CF Card ...
    3.8 GB on disk (3,803,148,288 bytes)

John

3. simsaladimbamba

4. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

I tried a 4GB flash drive and it was not enough space. The when formatting the drive, you're left with just barely not enough space. You need to go with an 8GB.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I agree, 4GB flash drive was not enough. Went with a 32GB flash drive and it was a bit slower than copying the .dmg to a DVD. DVD was the bomb...:cool:

6. ktappe macrumors regular

ktappe

But the DVD takes 10x longer just to boot, let alone install. I just tried both. DVD is the fail. :(

7. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

A 4Gb flash drive is slightly too small.
    8Gb works well.

8. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

You absolutely need at least an 8GB drive - other users have posted failure stories while trying to use 4GB drives.

9. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Tried like crazy to squeeze it on a 4GB stick but it was a no go. Definitely need 8GB.

10. Violator22 macrumors newbie

11. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Would it be possible to share installation with USb

Like making a Boot menu on the USB example a 32

With Linux Mac and Windows on it

12. FireSokar macrumors regular

You would need to partition it correctly. I have not tried it, but Chameleon boot loader might be able to do it for you. If that does not work you may want to look into: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

13. johnmacward, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

johnmacward macrumors regular

johnmacward

Every single guide about Lion installation off a USB or DVD is leaving out serious details like:

- 4GB key's don't generally work.
    - Make the bootable media BEFORE you install Lion as it disappears afterwards (as it turns out, to the Lost+Found folder).

Are these fools just copying each others guides without doing too much research themselves.

Edit: As it turns out, when you format the key as Mac OS Extended the usable size drops to 3.64GB hence too small for Lion.

14. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

You can actually force a re-download of Lion from the Mac App Store within Lion.

"To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab." Source

15. johnmacward macrumors regular

johnmacward

Oh absolutely, I've heard that one too but my point is about the common mistakes you'll make when doing this and how they're not documented in these articles. Most of us are excited to get our copy and install it before all else (on top of that, when the download finishes it automatically starts giving the impression you have to do it "NOW", theres no exit or cancel).

When we kick off our installs we assume the Lion installer might be sitting in Applications when we get back in, but alas there's nothing there and everything seems to suggest re-downloading or worse, wiping, putting on Snow Leopard and upgrading AGAIN.

Maybe none of the tech journals experienced this problem and hence wrote up their articles from that point of view, but it's highly doubtful bearing in mind they had to get Lion installed, tested and reviewed quickly.

16. Rellikard macrumors newbie

You'll need an 8GB FDD. The DMG file is 3.4 or 5 something but it expands to 5GB or so.

17. aldejesus macrumors regular

18. seong macrumors 65816

seong

:pI got one of these handy-dandy laying around just in case my HDD fails on me. Love these tiny USBs
    [​IMG]

19. linh1 macrumors newbie

20. Fissure macrumors 6502

This doesn't work for me. Holding the Option key and clicking the "Installed" button from the App Store does nothing. I have a new 2011 Mini that came with Lion.

21. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

I think that's because you've never had to actually "buy" Lion from the App Store, therefore it wouldn't be listed in your Purchased tab in MAS.

What documentation came with the new mac minis? Seeing as it doesn't have a SuperDrive, did it come with a USB key with OS X Lion like the MacBook Airs?

22. Fissure macrumors 6502

No it came with no media. I guess the rationale is if I have to do a restore it'll have to be done via the Internet. In my case I just want a copy of the install so I can do it from a USB key if I ever have to restore.

23. ktappe macrumors regular

ktappe

That thread is filled with responses saying it does not work. Seriously; it only costs $3 more to buy an 8Gb USB drive instead of a 4Gb one. (I know; I exchanged my 4Gb drive bought for Lion after finding 10.7 didn't fit.) You're going to attempt a dodgy kludge to save $3?

If you must use a 4Gb drive, just use CCC to not copy the languages in the installer. Lion will install but only if you have a good internet connection, because the installer sees it's missing the languages and downloads them from Apple. But it works. But I have to advise against wasting your time hacking the USB drive's filesystem. Little good can come from that.

24. linh1, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011

linh1 macrumors newbie

Right if u want buy a USB key of 8gGB to install 3.8GB of data.

i think u dont understand the french cos he don t say to remove the languages. if u do that u will can not install Lion,

We don't care about what u say ,Primus84 asks what size USB drive needed for Lion so?

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just saw this app today called Lion DeskMaker that automates the process and says it will work with a 4GB USB key. Have not tried the app myself.