Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What SMS tone do you use?

• None

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Tri-tone

Votes: 87 65.4%
  • Chime

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Glass

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Horn

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Bell

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Electronic

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
This thread is for people who use the stock SMS tones and not for people who jailbreak and change them. So tell me, what's your favorite SMS tone?

Also, I wish Apple could give us the option to change them to whatever we like... it kinda sucks only having 6.

Personally, the only tone I like is Tri-Tone. The rest are extremely annoying to me. Glass would be cool if it was just one DING, but the 2 dings turns me off.

Chime sounds like it's time to turn the page
Glass's double-hit makes it sound like 2 text messages were received
Horn is really cheesy (again 2 sounds?)
Bell is okay, but it's freakin' LOUD
Electronic sounds like a ringtone instead of a text message.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Anyone ever check their phone when iTunes is done importing a CD? Hahaha!

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Glass's double-hit makes it sound like 2 text messages were received
Horn is really cheesy (again 2 sounds?)
I guess I was the only one that voted for glass. Tri-tone just got annoying after a while. And for your argument, I guess you can also add that tri-tone makes it sound like you were receiving 3 text messages.

Seriously, it's very simple to differentiate.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I guess I was the only one that voted for glass. Tri-tone just got annoying after a while. And for your argument, I guess you can also add that tri-tone makes it sound like you were receiving 3 text messages.

Seriously, it's very simple to differentiate.

How does 'Tri-tone' sound like your receiving 3 text msgs? :confused:

Is there a delay like the 'Glass' ringtone, where it's like "ding (pause) ding? No.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005

Is there a delay like the 'Glass' ringtone, where it's like "ding (pause) ding? No.

I agree... there's no delay... Plus all 3 tones are different. It's not do..do..do... It's diddledo!

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
I use tri-tone. All the others just sound weird to me, I don't know. And I now have Adium set to use the exact same sound, so it can be a bit confusing sometimes...:p

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009

I'm mocking the original poster man. Don't take it so literal.

Like I said, it's very simple to differentiate.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
The poll should have a "Custom sound" choice. I have the Super Mario 1-UP chime.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
origionaly i voted electronic not reading the post mnot realizing it was for stock tones only, in that case i'd use tritone as of now i use MSN's Nudge sound and often a sound quote from monty python *arrow Flys through the air, Message for you sir!*

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
I am jailbroken and use custom ones, but I did use tri-tone before that. It's the only decent one.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I use the Glass sound. I chose it because my daughter uses Tri-tone on her iPhone, and I wanted a different sound from her phone.

slashjunior

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
I just use Tri-tone. The others sound a bit dull apart from horn, but that doesn't sound as professional ;)

I use Viva Las Ringtone from Ringtone Feeder for my ringtone :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.