All iPads What Solution do you use for Cloud Storage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wicked1, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have iCloud for email, calendar and contacts, as well as iMessage and apps, 5GB is plenty. I also use DropBox so that I can free up space on my phone once my photos sync to Dropbox I can delete off of my iPhone 5.

I am wondering what everyone else uses? I have a huge iTunes library and there is no way I could put it in the Cloud, 1.2TB total, Movies, Music, and Tones.

I was thinking of turning my Apple Router and external 4TB drive into WiFi drive, but how can I access data when I am not near the home, just curious what solution you are using.

2. HenryDJP macrumors 603

While I have DropBox I don't care for their storage upgrade scheme and 2GB+ isn't enough.
    I have a BOX account that I signed up for 3 years back. Just started using it. Completely forgot that I have 50GB free. Bye bye DropBox. For new subscribers Box also gives 10GB free. Works great, syncs my iMac, iPhone and iPad perfectly.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have a few things in Dropbox. I use Google Drive for pictures that I want to share with my family.

4. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

Dropbox and Box.

Dropbox for most of my files, Box for photos. No matter where I am or which device I have with me, I have access to my stuff.

By the way, there are links floating around which will give you 50GB to start at Box.com rather than the 10 shown on their site.

5. TrentS, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Flickr.com

For photos and videos, you can't go wrong with Flickr.com, which his free. It might be a bit of a pain to sign up for it ( you go thru Yahoo ), but once you do, they give you 1 tetrabite of storage space. That's a lot of storage space for FREE! I have over 6,500 photos and video on there now, and am only using up about 3% of my 1 tetrabite. And if 1 TB is not enough for you? Make 2 accounts. I made a 2nd one by mistake, now I have 1 TB's of storage spacce there.

:) :) :) :)

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Not to knock your idea but I'm not sure Flickr would be a solution for iPad users. Understandably that you can store tons of pics and videos but there's no software for it that allows for offline viewing, plus you can't store any documents or music files. It also requires you to go a website to view pics.
    Box and Dropbox allow for local storage and offline viewing on multiple computers and the iPad.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Mostly Dropbox. I have 75GB of storage. I use iCloud to backup my iPad though.

8. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

I host movies etc that I want to stream on a drobo array tied to my Mac mini. I then use airvideo HD to publish them. It's only a matter of time until hosting movies (my movies) in the cloud's viable.. Terabytes of cloud storage just isn't out there right now, unfortunately.

9. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I use Dropbox mostly and I've got 6GB, more than the standard free 2GB (here's a link describing how) and I didn't have to spam my family to get that much space (though if you want you can get more than 6GB by doing that). There's not much that beats its integration with all things iOS especially.

For more sensitive stuff (like synchronising various folders between machines that contain more personal stuff) I use SpiderOak - they have 2GB free storage as well, and that covers what I need.

Used to use SugarSync until they eliminated all their free storage options (jerks!).

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

DropBox without a doubt. Work on any platform with any device. I purchased for my company to keep our bids and contracts and any of my employees can access these documents no matter where they are or what hardware/OS they are using. I control the access to limit where the employees can go and I keep my personal stuff stored there too.

It is cheap for the amount of data you can store there.

11. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

iCloud for syncing my iOS devices and my bookmarks w/Safari on my PC.

All my music is uploaded to Google Play and Amazon Cloud and of course on a portable drive for redundancy. I have an GoDaddy file storage service w/unlimited data that was included with my reseller account which I use for remote file storage.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

13. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Same.

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Box offers more storage for free and it perfectly integrates with iOS and it's better than DropBox in regards to offline viewing.

15. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I use Dropbox (9.5gb), Box (50gb) and Copy (20gb) in order of preference. I also do not like Dropbox's pricing scheme, therefore Box gets the most use.

16. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

17. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I use iCloud to sync my devices and I have 50gb with Box. That's all I'll need.

18. xxstatic macrumors member

Dropbox, I don't think they offer this anymore but I signed up for a free 2GB account, referred a friend and they bumped me up 50GB's for free, 52GB for free...not too shabby.:cool:

19. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Onedrive. Microsoft kept tossing storage at me for a while, so it is up to about 50gb for free. Can't beat that!

20. cynics macrumors G3

I have an acct but I won't really utilize it until the have automatic upload with background refresh.

21. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Found a display Samsung phone in a store and logged into the Dropbox app using my account. Boom! 48GB more storage.

(Of course, I logged out before I left.)

22. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

This is basically my approach in a nutshell +iCloud:

[​IMG]

TOP works with Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive. I mainly use it to move stuff between each service. Works well enough.

23. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Google services for everything. Have a company provided account and a personal one. Company is 30gb of storage and personal is 75gb. Also use skydrive with 28gb of storage. Plenty for my mobile needs. PDFs, PowerPoints and word docs don't typically take up too much space. Don't use iCloud although that is what I set new users up with for simplicity sake. Like my sister or elderly neighbor.

----------

1TB of gdrive storage is $10 a month.

24. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Did I Mention Flickr It's FREE!!!??

Yes, you have to have an internet connection to see your photos and videos in Flickr, but who doesn't have wifi at home or at their friends and families home now a days? Not only can you store almost unlimited photos and videos on Flickr, but you can also edit your photos once you have uploaded them. And if I want to show off my photos at other peoples houses who have wifi, I just bring along my Apple TV, and hook it up there and show them on their big screen tv. Dang, I should be a 'paid' Flickr spokeperson! ha ha

:) :) :) :)

25. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Yeah I use Flickr as well, but keep that content also backed up on other services. Flickr is pretty awesome for just sharing photos and organizing them. The only weak point is the free version is not very good for videos, limiting them in length.

It does bother me that Flickr still doesn't have an iPad app. I should explore third party options for Flickr soonish.