what speaker do i buy? (question changed)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bluedoggiant, Oct 7, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

let me change the question a bit, what 3 PIECE speaker set, comes with the BEST subwoofer (like it really makes a deep sound a shakes your desk and everything) for UNDER $400. also, the speakers must be good, like good quality, speakers dont crackle, and all that, also, apple must be selling these speakers, it cant be any speakers, it has to be something from apple's website that i can order from them!!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

ummm.....you probably are going to want a subwoofer....

look at the Altec Lansing FX6021's, Most speakers allow you to control the subwoofer.

But the Bose would be my choice although the Creative's sound good as well.

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

If I were to choose amongst the three i would go for the Bose speakers.

4. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

5. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

This is about the only time that I would recommend a Bose speaker.

6. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

So you're not a 901 guy? :p

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

does the bose have shake the room bass that you can hear from a room next to it?

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

In that price range to shake the room I would honestly go with Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX speakers.

9. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

just to let you all know, my question has changed!

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

let me reiterate my statement

Altec Lansing FX6021

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

looks like that thang has bass!!! does it shake the room? how about the actual speakers, is the quality good, do they le, do they stay under control at high volumes?

12. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

What is your budget? If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a discrete amplifier, and looking into a studio monitor/subwoofer combination.

Look into the KRK RP-5 studio monitors along with the KRK RP-10s subwoofer.

That comes to about $600. You would get superior sound, but that comes with a cost.

If you would like to spend less, I highly suggest looking into the Logitech Z-5500. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this set yet. He's asking for room shaking bass! The Logitech's have one of the most powerful subwoofers that's even possible to buy out of anything for under $300, including home-theater and studio subwoofers. The bass won't be as clean or defined as more expensive subwoofers, but it will definitely put a smile on your face :cool:
    If your teeth don't rattle out first ;)

The Bose Companion 3 set is a good choice, I have them myself (as well as a KRK studio monitor system, which is my primary set), and they are very nice. The bass is strong, prominent, deep, and smooth. The Logitech will no doubt top it, but the Bose will hold it's own, especially for it's size.

It all comes down to what you prefer. If you prefer top notch sound quality (for under $1000) then look into studio monitors. If you want good (very good considering the price) sound quality with mass bass, though on a bit of the muddy/less defined side, check out the Logitech Z-5500. If space is a factor, and or you prefer the sound quality, check out the Bose set. The Bose Companion series are real quality.

Let us know what you go with :)

Peace

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

speakers are good sounding quality, I mean they aren't reference monitors but the low-level audiophile/casual user would find these good to great...if you are an audiophile then:
    1. you wouldn't be asking for our advice
    2. you would be investing in monitors
    3. you would have to purchase from somewhere other then apple's [online] store...b/c they have to my knowledge just one monitors

the bass will shake, the logietch will be bigger, but it's not as high quality as the altec lansing in terms of clarity....

if you really have any questions...just head to your local apple store...they are on display there....

also...the monitors would be good, but you could find a better investment for $600 and i don't think it will have enough bass...also some other flaws...violates the price range and not available at the apple store [as well as they are not three piece]...

14. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

im not an audiophile, and was exaggerating by room shaking bass, just good bass

does anyone have info on the Bose Companion 3 Series II Multimedia Speaker System? how is its bass? and since it has small speakers, does it give the small speaker sound?

15. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

16. djkny macrumors 6502

The AudioEngine's put all of the above to shame. The Bose's couldn't light a candle to it.

17. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

That is letting them off easy, anything would put Bose to shame. I wouldn't recommend a single one of their marketing snake oil speakers to my grandmother.

18. stanton119 macrumors newbie

I have the logitech Z2300. They are 200W, the sound is good enough. The sub is massive, when turned up loud the whole house shakes...

19. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Bose makes some really great products!

I'm sick of ignorant people saying how a $2 speaker will own one of Bose's multimedia systems :mad: Go spend that $2 for some edumacation :rolleyes:

Bose's home-theater systems are overpriced, but they're multimedia line is really great. The Companion 3 II is a great piece of kit, and the bass is deep and thumping. Again, it won't be as clean or defined as a more costly dedicated unit, but I think you will be quite satisfied with it.

If you can afford, I would go with the Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1. Studio monitors (usually) > any PC aimed multimedia system you can buy (usually. the Altec Lansing FX6021 would own cheaper M-Audio ($70) speakers for example).

Still, the best thing to do would be to go out and listen for yourself.

Peace

20. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

1. i said FROM APPLE"S WEBSITE!!!!
    2. [number one]

so for instance the Altec Lansing FX6021 vs. The Bose Companion 3 II

you would say bose owns (wins)?

21. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

The bass on the Bose vs the Altecs will be deeper, richer, and smoother. The mids and highs on the Altec may be a bit better here and there, but honestly, the Bose Companion line, especially the 3 series, is quite remarkable given the size, and would no doubt hold it's own compared to the Altecs.

I've only heard the Companion 3 series II in stores, but I have the series I, and it sounds really great.

I would personally go with the Companion 3 over the Altecs.

If can afford it, I would go with the Blue Sky studio monitor set over any Bose/Logitech/Altec system out there. You will get the best sound out of the Blue Sky's. I would then choose Bose, then Altec, then Logitech.

Peace

22. Mac In School macrumors 65816

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

ummm....w/o price in my mind

the bose are better sounding, but iThink the Altec's are better for your purposes...

The Klipsch probably serve your needs better then the bose...

24. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

so over the altecs for bass and quality 3 series is the best?

for the millionth time, the speaker needs to be available in apple's online retail store

25. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Hey bluedoggiant, check out this review about the Bose Companion 3 series II:

http://www.pcmech.com/article/bose-companion-3-series-ii-speakers-review/

The reviewer compares them very favorably to the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

Many true things are said in this review; Bose is like Apple in marketing and sales, they price their prices a bit (varies) and spend many hours on the design and function of their products. The review also mentions that Bose products are a bit over-priced (depends), but Bose makes a great speaker system.

Personally, I would go with the Bose over the Klipsch. Bose is also generally a very friendly company. Many smart people work there as well as their customer support being some of the best and friendliest of any company.

As I aforementioned, I own the Companion 3 series I, and Bose being the awesome, flexible company they are, there's a good chance I will simply be able to bring in my older set and get upwards $150+ off the Companion 3 series II or 5 set :cool:

Peace