What Speakers are you using on your MP ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nomadpass, May 7, 2008.

1. nomadpass macrumors member

I am using these - Bose Companion 3

I don't like them and i'm looking for something else. I have had them about 2 years and every once in a while sound will only come out of one speaker.

So, what do you use?

2. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Using Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 Digital 5.1. Have had them for at least 7 years. Can't believe they still work. They are in awesome shape and sound insane. Optical inputs too.

3. JrdBeau macrumors member

4. vga4life macrumors 6502

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

6. tfward macrumors member

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

A pair of JBL Creature Speaker IIs that I got for free.

8. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I have the Altec Lansing ACS-48 system that I bought to use with my PowerMac 7300 many moons ago. They still rock! ;)

9. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

I run the optical out (Digital Out / Built-in Digital Output in Sound preferences) to an old Pioneer A/V receiver (110 watts per channel) with a pair of Boston Acoustics CR65 bookshelf speakers mounted on the ceiling. I have a modest Tivoli Model Subwoofer hooked up as well just to give a little oomph to the mix and then I rock out. I've always wanted to get another pair of the CR65's, http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_product.aspx?product_id=185 (mine are white - very sharp, yet very subtle) but if I did I'd run the risk of going deef. ;) Now that I think about it, they're around eight years old by now :)eek:) but are still flawless. AND if you have an amp already, they're a very affordable option. Groovy.

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I once heard the bose companion 5 in probably almost condition (a demo setup by bose) and I was quite impressed. For my regular need I use an amplifier and a couple of these Dali speakers. It was the first couple of speakers that the saleswoman demonstrated when I told her my needs and after listening to a dozen or more other sets I decided she was right from the beginning.

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Silver JBL Creature II.

Two votes for the Bose Companion 5. Pretty expensive there...

13. j1nxy macrumors newbie

I use an Xmod and a set of Gigaworks T20 speakers.

14. Emerson macrumors member

Emerson

I use some low cost Logitech X-140. They are fairly simple and plain, but they sound nice. However I only ever listen to iTunes and some podcasts, nothing really taxing.

15. nomadpass thread starter macrumors member

I might order these. Thanks for the recommendation

16. alongcamejones macrumors newbie

A pair of Edirol MA-15Ds using optical output from the MacPro, I've added a Yamhaha YST sub-woofer. Late night, I plug a pair of AKG K271s Headsets into the Edirols. Sounds just fine.

17. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

I use these and have had zero problems, they sound pretty good.

18. MatchFrame macrumors member

Those look pretty great. I was wondering, though, since it has dual inputs (stereo RCA and one mini-jack), how do you switch between the two if you're inputting to both from different sources?

Is there a button? Does one override the other? Do you do nothing at all?

19. ASFx macrumors regular

Logitech Z-2300 has been great for me. They can be very loud if needed, and great bass.

20. TorchElCreep macrumors newbie

Bose Companion 5

freakin love them.. thinking about a second set just to take on the road.

21. downset macrumors member

i have the lacie firewire speakers:
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10880

sound great, look nice, use them with itunes and my cd collection converted to ALAC and to play wow

only problem is the firewire cable connected to the speakers is way too short for a mac pro

when i bought them i was looking for speakers i could connect digitaly, this was the only option i found, i have had too much interference on analogue speakers i had before

are there any other digital speakers out there?

22. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Denon PMA255UK Amp
    Mission M71 Speakers

Hoping to get an AV receiver soon and go optical.

23. vga4life macrumors 6502

Both inputs are open. If you have audio playing on both inputs simultaneously, you'll hear both sources. There's no switch.

Those A2's are great - a completely different class than any bose or altec lansing junk (sorry.) Their big brother (the A5) is even better but a bit overkill for my desk.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I recommend raising the A2's off the desk. This wasn't an issue with my desk (which has a monitor shelf just big enough to accommodate a 30" LCD between these) but if you're using a flat table you may want to get some small stands (or thick books) or a wall shelf to put them closer to ear level.

24. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Altec LansingBX1120. Overall, they're decent if you need some cheap speakers, but they are absolutely not for an audiophile.