What speakers do you recommend to go with MP & 30 ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I'm looking for a set of elegant, tall, slim speakers to go on either side of my 30" ACD. Obviously would like decent sound quality to match the aestehtics as I'm aware there are some hideous speakers out there lol.

I have read various other posts. I saw this set in a local mac dealer last friday: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/computer_speakers/music_monitor/index.jsp

I know some people bash Bose speakers, but they sounded pretty good. They look ok too, but would like somthing taller and more elegant/slimline

Any suggestions? Also are there any "wireless" speakers? ( without resorting to some dual Airport express setup)

TIA :D

2. grue macrumors 65816

Bose: Buy Other Sound Equipment.

In any case, I gave up on computer speakers and now I use a proper receiver (Denon) coupled with decent bookshelf speakers (Klipsch B-3), and I'm very happy. Could I do better? Sure, but the cost/benefit ratio drops quickly.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

get somebody to custom make you some nice analogue speakers using tubes :) that is if you have a spare 10k to burn...:eek:

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

if I had 10K to burn, I'd burn it on extra displays and a maxed out MP 8-core 2.93. (pause) well, ok, a HALF-maxed out 8x2.93 :D

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol fair enough. id rather purchase the old 3.2, save money for the same performance :)

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If the Bose sounded great to you then you don't need new speakers, you need new ears. :D Seriously, Bose are heavily marketed but mediocre, overpriced speakers. There are plenty of other brand speakers that sound just as good, even better for a lot less. Take a look at Klipsch, Harmon Kardon (soundsticks), Logitech, Altec-Lansing.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They've been around a while, but they still sound good and sit very nicely with Cinema displays.

Altec Lansing FX6021.

8. grue macrumors 65816

Have Klipsch fixed their white noise issues over optical?

9. Animalk macrumors 6502

People bash Bose all the time. On some products, especially the headphones, it may be warranted but the computer speaker companion series is not to be looked over.

I am very very picky about my sound and I must say that I am completely blown away by the performance of my new Companion 3 series II Bose computer speakers.

The demo's in the store with the sub right in your face make the sub sound "boomy" and the satellites sound "tiny" and distant. But trust me when i say, once that sub is nicely tucked away under or around your computer desk and the satellites are nicely placed on each side, you will not be able to do anything but smile at the incredible sound that surrounds you.

I am not an audiophile or a Bose fanboy. I am just saying what I truly think of these speakers. I use them with my MBP.

I highly recommend you take a look at the Companion 3 or 5 series.

Good luck shopping.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

for the same price i'd rather get the musicMonitor. simpler design. the comp 3 & 5 have dorky looking satelites

I like. but discontinued. New version is black. *ugh*

3.2 if u have single thread apps. multi and the new 2.93 blows it away

what i did was buy a refurb octo 2.8, new 30" ACD, 250GB Vertex SSD, and 16GB of RAM and still have spare cash left over :D

11. grue macrumors 65816

I'm glad you mention that. I've got "Check out Bose stuff" on my to-do list, right after "Swallow shards of glass" ;)

But in all seriousness, I won't deny that some of their products might not suck, but let's face it, they're the MacBook Air of audio: A hell of a lot of style for a hell of a lot of money, but the majority of people would be better off with something else.

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I got the companion 5 because they come with a subwoofer.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Really? They're still on sale all over the place here.

14. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yes true. which is why i'm leaning towards the Altec Lansing FX6021. it comes with a woofer too LOL

i'm in Australia. most of them are out of stock, as per this one from the UK google list: http://www.shop.bt.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=396R

anyone else who has 'em are old stock, 2nd hand

15. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Take it from an audiophile:

1. Don't buy any of the Logitech 2+1 type systems. Even if they are "THX Certified". They sound like ****, bought and trashed them myself.

2. Open up your wallet a little bit, go out and buy M-Audio studio monitors like Studiophile BX5a or BX8a, you can find them for 300$/pair in amazon.com, or even cheaper maybe. Don't be fooled by the retail price. You also need a USB or Firewire interface to drive the speakers, I use M-Audio Fasttrack USB Pro, costs 200$, so you can build a Hi-Fi sound stereo for your Mac Pro for under 500$. And trust me, the quality is excellent for that price, I have that, and my 15k High End setup, and I honestly spend more time on my computer listening to music, not because it sounds better or anything, it ofc sounds worse than a 15k setup, but it's acceptable quality and I need to be on my computer.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yay another aussie on here! we are getting more common (Y).

i personally have the logitech X530's, they are very decent for the price + 5.1 surround (got mine for $90 on sale at K-mart!) whats your price range?

oh and not sure about anything wireless, apart from using airport express that is..

17. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I use bose companion fives with my mac pro and 30 inch ACD

18. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeh, i'm in melbourne. and enjoying this great city. have to say though that Apple gear is much more expensive here than in the UK, along with digital cameras and Diesel jeans

hmm, seems like 2xairport expresses required then to go complete wireless for the satellites. an expensive way to go wireless. would make sense if i can locate my printer with it etc..

can u post a pic?

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh not a local eh? im a pure aussie haha. on the gold coast (in NSW but so dont worry im clean). i love it!

yea its expensive out here, you dont get used to that.

hhmm unfortunately, unless you want to go the "home theatre" route with a whole bunch of wireless satellites and all that junk, would sound good though. great for watching HD movies too :)

20. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Seconded. I have the Altec Lansings and they compliment the look of my G5 perfectly, plus they sound stunning to my ears.

21. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

i'm squatting over here from kiwi-land, hehe. the exhange rate is better here. been living in UK for 11 yrs, and decided to head back south, but stopped over in aus for an EXtended stay :D:D and your broadband plans are ridiculous!! no unlimited downloads = sucks

22. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

thanks, another stick beating. i'll try to track down a set of 'em tomorrow. cant wait. thanks all for the great feedback and advice :D:D