What speakers do you use with the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by appletothecore, Feb 26, 2008.

1. appletothecore macrumors newbie

I am looking to get good set of speakers for the mac pro. None of them seem to be of good quality, except for maybe active studio monitors. Any suggestions on semi-audiophile quality?

Thanks in advance.

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I have the M-Audio Bx5a active monitors and they sound great!

i do mix music with them and have been quite pleased.

If you want something cheaper, you can get the Dx4s. I had a set of those before the Bx5a set and they sounded great too, but they lack low end, so you will need a subwoofer if you want bass.

m-audio's products are an excellent value. Go to guitar center and have them match the best price you can find online. sometimes they will even match ebay prices.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

For everyday...

speakers I utilize the JBL Duet Aluminum two-piece speaker system. I have a Bose Companion 3 Series for music and movie downloads or just to kick it when no one else is home. :cool:

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I dont mix music (not in a big way at least), but I am fussy about the quality at which i listen to it, and i have found my Harman Kardon Soundsticks II to be an excellent blend of both sound quality and design.

For professional stuff there are better speakers to be had, but for what i do they are superb

5. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

JBL Spot Speakers. Good sound and they look good too.

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I use the Bose Companion 5's and couldn't be happier - there was an incompatibility between them and Garageband for awhile, but it seems 10.5.2 has taken care of that.

They sound great for music, movies, and even listening to replays of stuff I make in Garageband.

-Bryan

8. arcsbite Guest

I'm a Companion user as well. highly recommended

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

LaCie Firewire speakers. No subwoofer. Firewire means no power adapter required. Sound pretty good. Inexpensive. I use my stereo for music via AppleTV AirTunes so sound isn't critical, but when I do play music on my LaCies, the sound is reasonably good.

Highly recommended for people who don't want a massive footprint and prefer to plug their speakers into their ACDs.
    [​IMG]

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

11. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

I use Logitech Z-5500's and I think they are great. I like them better than the Bose. I have compared both. You can usually get them a little cheaper also. But if you need a 3 speaker system the Bose is the way to go.

12. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

13. SilverL macrumors member

14. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

Attached Files:

• spR.jpg
      spR.jpg
      File size:
      11.6 KB
      Views:
    • spL.jpg
      spL.jpg
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views:
    • avc.jpg
      avc.jpg
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
  15. thedommer macrumors regular

you dont need studio monitors for everyday listening. even audio engineers woudnt really use them in their house. these speakers are flat response and show every single detail in the audio. this may seem like a good idea but for your mp3s and your average CD it isnt because most of them are mixed like crap. get some good quality consumer speakers. they warm the sound a bit and hide some of the issues while still staying very clear.

I use the mackie HR624 monitors. I love them. they arent that expensive. but if I didnt do mixing I probably would use something else...although maybe not. they arent as detailed and violent as some monitors.

16. zdobson macrumors 6502

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Good quality stereo amp and standard stereo speakers (also good quality).

18. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. A classic :) I got the first generation so they run off USB.

19. XianPalin macrumors 6502

20. amtctt macrumors regular

I use a creative 5.1 system, sounds pretty good. not the best, but nice to have 5.1 for stuff, especially games like BF2.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't own a macpro but I just bought myself a pair of the Bose Music Monitors. Online there didn't seem to be much about them but I like the size. I was really moving between the FX6021's from Altec Lansing or these after I heard about them. I ended up getting these and they're due to arrive today. ;) Bottom line is I moved from two desks to one and I want to preserve as much space as possible.

22. ksz macrumors 68000

I'm a Bose Companion 5 user as well. After going through so many other speakers I've found what is arguably the very best for the money. It's not cheap, but I am not looking for cheap. :)

23. Leafminer macrumors newbie

Another vote for these, except beware of the large subwoofer - the thing is huge.