What the Heck Laptop HDD's are going up in Price

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Wicked1, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Anyone noticed that the 750Gb or 1TB drives on New Egg are more expensive now then say a month ago?

I was looking to get either a 1TB or 750GB but now they are more so I think I am going to just plop my Seagate 500GB Hybrid into my 2011 Mini for HTPC, and get a 120GB SSD, most likely an Intel for my 2009 uMB since I do not want to fuss a lot with getting it working.

2. chuffman15 macrumors regular

you might want to google search the flooding in thailand.

3. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Yeah I've noticed this too. Major flooding in Thailand has put something like 60% of the world's hard drive factories under water.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

And the remaining 40% are raising their prices just because there is a shortage and they have drives to sell.

Wouldn't you think it would be smart to not have so much production in one area that is subject to floods?

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

A picture that is worth more than 500GB of words:

http://www.dabs.com/articles/unknown/important-information/thailand-flood-price-increases-10464.html

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. MJL macrumors 6502a

It may be 60% of the HDD manufacturers under water however the situation is worse: there is basically only one manufacturer who supplies over 99% of the motors for the HDD - yes, you got it: that factory is right in the middle of the flooded area and underwater too. If that does not get up and running again then all HDD manufacturing will be in trouble. The proverbial "card house".

8. jdiamond macrumors 6502

Desktop hard drives have doubled in price...

All form factors of hard drives are going up in price... Not a good time for a forced HD upgrade...

9. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

sad for all those people, companies can recover, but the people will have a tough time.