Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
lol...I was watching this video (http://www.5min.com/Video/Can-You-Improve-Your-Health-While-Staring-at-Breas-4025454) online when I heard the song your iPhone makes when it recieves an email....So I slide to unlock and check the email and press reply in preparation of sending back a one line (9 words) response. Just as I was typing the first word, the video in the link got interesting so I turned my head to watch but continued typing. Less then 10 seconds later, I look down at my phone and it said EXACTLY what I wanted it to say...All without looking.

So I tested it again and discovered that the autocorrect is so friggin good on this thing that as long as you have a semblance of where letters should be and where the space bar is (pretty easy) you can type of sentences pretty easily. Although, when the email's done, its still smart to give it a quick look over to make sure autocorrect didn't pick any incorrect words. But still, I'm suprised....Now I have a response for a iPhone hater who says I can't type without looking!! :)

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
lol...I was watching this video (http://www.5min.com/Video/Can-You-Improve-Your-Health-While-Staring-at-Breas-4025454) online when I heard the song your iPhone makes when it recieves an email....So I slide to unlock and check the email and press reply in preparation of sending back a one line (9 words) response. Just as I was typing the first word, the video in the link got interesting so I turned my head to watch but continued typing. Less then 10 seconds later, I look down at my phone and it said EXACTLY what I wanted it to say...All without looking.

So I tested it again and discovered that the autocorrect is so friggin good on this thing that as long as you have a semblance of where letters should be and where the space bar is (pretty easy) you can type of sentences pretty easily. Although, when the email's done, its still smart to give it a quick look over to make sure autocorrect didn't pick any incorrect words. But still, I'm suprised....Now I have a response for a iPhone hater who says I can't type without looking!! :)

that is beastly, for sure. My one complaint about the iPhone/iPt auto correct is that, sometimes, when you type something slightly wrong, it changes it to a completely different phrase!

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
that is beastly, for sure. My one complaint about the iPhone/iPt auto correct is that, sometimes, when you type something slightly wrong, it changes it to a completely different phrase!
True. Which is why I highlight the need to go back and check your entire message for errors. At times, I type so fast keeping my eyes on the keyboard, that I ignore any autocorrecting that goes on right above my light of vision. So because of this, I always check the entire documents when Im done. But yea, I just typed a whole nother email out without looking. I cant beleive I never noticed this before. iPhone autocorrection FTW!

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Autocorrect is good for most things, but a real pain when you try to ask a chick for a pic and you have to explain to her why you just ask if she has a pig.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Autocorrect is good for most things, but a real pain when you try to ask a chick for a pic and you have to explain to her why you just ask if she has a pig.

ha - that would be a funny question to have to answer. :p

a good friend of mine has a blackberry pearl and we were having a small dispute a little while ago and one of her texts came through as "duck you!" courtesy of the blackberry's auto-correct feature. that has become one of our favorite phrases as a result.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
a good friend of mine has a blackberry pearl and we were having a small dispute a little while ago and one of her texts came through as "duck you!" courtesy of the blackberry's auto-correct feature. that has become one of our favorite phrases as a result.

Ahh....And I was under the impression that because Blackberry users have tactile keys, they have no need for autocorrect as they should never mess up and press something they shouldn't have (as opposed to the same experience on a touch screen). Like on my MBP, typing fast I almost never mess up and I'm a touch typer. Funny BB user's have a feature that iPhone users find so awesome, yet we are criticized for not "valuing" a tactile experience.

ceiph

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Ahh....And I was under the impression that because Blackberry users have tactile keys, they have no need for autocorrect as they should never mess up and press something they shouldn't have (as opposed to the same experience on a touch screen). Like on my MBP, typing fast I almost never mess up and I'm a touch typer. Funny BB user's have a feature that iPhone users find so awesome, yet we are criticized for not "valuing" a tactile experience.

duck you isnt an error. its because blackberry doesnt like cursing..... it also is my buddys fav thing to say to me since all my texts contain it.

I3eXa

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2004
IdaPIMP
^^^hahah, ain't that the truth. I've called some of my girl 'friends' hun instead of saying huh cause of the autocorrect.....they constantly think i like em.....:D

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
okay, okay ... congrats, you can type without looking. but now let's get to all the problems with the auto-correct.
1. it has all these random abbreviations that it continually tries to replace my real words with
2. when I type an abbreviation, I am usually auto-corrected for some random word that is spelled slightly similar.

I know that the keyboard is meant to work with auto-correct, but I am just about ready to turn the thing off!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I wrote 6 paragraphs on my iPhone. Not quite the same thing but I was still blown away when I finally got it into word (I wrote it in Gmail email so that I could use the horizontal keyboard) that there were only a few grammar errors and no spelling errors. It took me about an hour and was around 350 words. I did it while watching a presentation (a Chinese New Years awareness thing).

The keyboard really is not bad once you get used to it.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I like the keyboard so much that I think I am highly unlikely to ever use a phone with a physical keyboard again. The auto-correct is pretty good, but it could use some improvements.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I was surprised the first time I used two thumbs. Even though I touch type normally, when I went to thumbs, I was able to pseudo touch type!

Usually, the more I trust it, the better it does.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003

LOL classic, this has happened to me before

kbunch

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
Tucson, AZ
I have never really trusted the auto-correct so I could never type on the keyboard very fast. Before the iPhone I had a BB and I could touch type on it since the keys were tactile. I still miss the tactile keyboard. I just did an experiment with the iPhone. I tried touch typing... that did not work; however, I did relax and just typed and was amazed how fast I could actually type just letting auto-correct do its thing. I still can't type as fast as the BB. I used to just ditch the laptop and take notes with it in meetings.

CPQC

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Lol

I hate it when you type lol it changes it to LOL. To me, LOL makes it seem like there is some massive laughter going on. When i just want to write a casual lol, i sometimes miss that it changed it and end up looking like a freak.

BTW, anyone know how to edit the auto-correct feature?

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
I find that I have to reset the keyboard every 2 months or so. It eventually uses my abbreviations and slangs a little too willingly, and it often causes problem.

I am still bummed that the option of using the key board horizontally isn't available outside of Safari. It would make texting/e-mailing a much more enjoyable experience for me, as a former sidekick user.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California

hahah i've had this happen with some awkward text messages to my gf :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.