Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
It showed up in my profile today and Im not sure why..can someone explain? last thing I installed was Flip4MAc

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
MacFUSE, in conjuction with NTFS-3G, lets you write to NTFS hard drives and partitions.

You know, in case you want to delete files from your Boot Camp partition from within OS X.
ok thanks ..guess my real question is why its on my mac if I didnt dl it..i dont have any NTFS partitions..just wondering if it gets dl'ed with other apps by chance

Keep it civil.

You obviously downloaded it at some point. What do you mean it "shows up in your profile"? What profile?
im civil as long as others are civil with me ..his smartass answer was uncalled for..
by profile i meant System Preferences..
and i never dl'ed it..seriously..
any chance it might be part of Parallels??? I saw nothing referencing it in the manual or on thier knowledgebase

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
by profile i meant System Preferences..
and i never dl'ed it..seriously..

In System Preferences? Huh. Maybe I don't remember getting rid of the pane, but I don't recall it putting anything in my System Preferences when I downloaded it.

Does anyone else have access to your computer? It couldn't have gotten there without someone actively downloading and installing it.

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
In System Preferences? Huh. Maybe I don't remember getting rid of the pane, but I don't recall it putting anything in my System Preferences when I downloaded it.

Does anyone else have access to your computer? It couldn't have gotten there without someone actively downloading and installing it.
not that I know of..thats the weird part..thats why i figuredd it might be part of another app..again the only thing ive dl'ed is flip4mac...also installed parallels the other day but thats it..i do have the option uninstall it ..just didnt know if it would screw up another app

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
in baisc terms mac fuse is a program that allows one to program for a filesystem that is not naively supported on mac some of the filesystems that people use macfuse

-EXT2
-EXT3
-Pounce (which is a filesystem that is connected to the web site to download all notes that contain files)
-NTFS
-many others

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
ok Parallels support answered me on this just now...pointed me to a spot buried on the website...
thanks to those whose answered (politely)
hey ME1000 add this info to your knowledgebase for the next poor sap that dares ask a dumb question...

Parallels used in its products the following third party software:
TinyBIOS Pascal Dornier / PC Engines (used as a system BIOS); the COMMON PUBLIC LICENSE.
Plex86/Bochs VGABIOS (used as a video BIOS); the LGPL license.
JPEG (used as a graphical library) basing in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
MPI (used for operations with large numbers); the MPI.
Libmspack (used for decompression of Microsoft cabinet file format); the LGPL license.
MacFuse (used for inverse shared folders); the BSD license.
Wine (used for DirectX to OpenGL convertion); the LGPL license.
If you want to receive any of the listed sources codes, please send your request to lice

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
in baisc terms mac fuse is a program that allows one to program for a filesystem that is not naively supported on mac some of the filesystems that people use macfuse

-EXT2
-EXT3
-Pounce (which is a filesystem that is connected to the web site to download all notes that contain files)
-NTFS
-many others

while thanks, i think his question is how it got on his system if he didnt explicitly download it

op: maybe tell us what 3rd party apps youve downloaded?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
ok Parallels support answered me on
hey ME1000 add this info to your knowledgebase for the next poor sap that dares ask a dumb question...

Why would I point someone to parallels support pages when someone asks me "What the hell is MacFuse" ;)

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Mac FUSE was installed on my Mac after I installed VMWare Fusion 2.

AND previously, when I installed the Parallels trial, Mac FUSE was installed as well, so you can run your Boot Camp partition's OS from inside the program.

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Mac FUSE was installed on my Mac after I installed VMWare Fusion 2.

AND previously, when I installed the Parallels trial, Mac FUSE was installed as well, so you can run your Boot Camp partition's OS from inside the program.
thanks!
thats initially what I was looking to find out

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
2qvw6kl.png

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
any chance it might be part of Parallels???

Parallels 4 installs new NTFS drivers/kext files and macfuse.

Its beneficial to have macfuse and ntfs installed on your system. I kind of hope Apple puts it in Snow Leopard, but I won't hold my breath.

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
No problem. ;)

If you ask me, I'd take Fusion over Parallels any day, without a doubt. :)
any reason why? I hear positives for both of them actually
I went with parallels based on a friends recommendation and after using the trail for a couple weeks..havent seen any issues with it yet with the few Windows programs I do still run

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Fusion has some catching up to do, Parallels 4 is brilliant. Incredibly low resource usage. VMware is nicer with their licenses tho, they didn't charge for upgrades last time.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
MacFuse is also the framework needed for sshfs, which is a cool, secure (encrypted) gui way to share files across a network that works between UNIX/Linux machines.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
MacFuse is also the framework needed for sshfs, which is a cool, secure (encrypted) gui way to share files across a network that works between UNIX/Linux machines.

Not true.

I use SSHFS and don't have MacFUSE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.