what the hell!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XheartcoreboyX, Aug 15, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i have safari 3 beta..and i would LOVE it if every link i open opens in the same windows in a new tab instead of a new window(That bugs me!!)..i know you can press cmd key and click...but is there an ''automatic'' way/addon??

as you can see i have all the tabs options ticked..

Attached Files:

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I always found that selecting the option to open links from applications in a new tab on the same window worked for me. The option is on the general tab when you enable tabbed browsing.

Some websites just won't allow that to happen, even in Firefox I get the odd page that sprouts a new window.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You should go into user interface design.

And then you would see that automatically opening links in new tabs would be a user interface nightmare.

Most of the time, links are supposed to replace the current page. Most extreme case are ten pages, all linked together with "previous" and "next" buttons. With your suggestion, you press "next" ten times and you have ten open tabs, then press "previous" ten times and you have ten more open tabs!

Then there are links that open new windows but in a different size. That doesn't work very well in a new tab.

What you really want is "always open links in a new tab, except when it is a bad idea to do so". Because that is really really difficult to implement, it is left to you.

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Or "always open links that would otherwise open a new window in a new tab."

That's what I would like... not sure about the OP though. Firefox can do this and there's no reason the option shouldn't be added to safari.

EDIT: having re-read the OP's post, it does sound as if he's after the same thing as me: having links that would open a new window open in a new tab instead. Normal links would behave normally.

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I third this feature request, I've thought it would be really useful for a long time now.

If that's what the OP meant then I misunderstood him as well.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari isn't good at features, it has been always like that.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This question gets asked weekly...the answer is always the same.

Safaristand.

It's free. It works with Safari 3. In the first (general, I think) pane of the preferences, there is a button "Open '_blank' in a New Tab". It forces new windows (aside from permitted javascript pop-ups, like file dialogs), into new tabs.

8. Mac In School macrumors 65816

...Unless it's a Javascript window that's supposed to be a specific size.

Yeah, this is the lacking feature that keeps me from using Safari. Firefox has had this feature for quite some time.

Opera does it too, but the last version of Opera I used also opened specifically-sized Javascript windows as a tab, which I didn't like.

9. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

This is WORTH IT. Easy to install and does wonders for safari, safari + inquisitor + safari stand makes my browsing experience well worth it.

If youre using safari beta, install SIMBL, then install Safari Stand, then tick this box, problem solved.

With the beta, ive found the SIMBL way the only way that works.

Matt

10. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I always get nervous with add-ons like that. I worry about how they'll work with Leopard, and future versions of Safari.

But really, I'm kinda over the whole "I have to figure out a way to use Safari" thing. I was on it for months, and kept coming back to it and trying it. The main reason: I wanted to be able to share bookmarks, etc., via my .Mac account.

Since I discovered that Google made a Firefox plugin that allows this, I think I'm pretty much sticking with Firefox. There are just so many tremendous plugins available for Firefox, that there really isn't a compelling reason for me to use anything else.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Odd...I'm fairly certain I *did not* install it using SIMBL. Are you using the version of SafariStand that's designed for Safari 3 (there are two "current" versions right now).

FWIW I use SafariStand, SafariBlock, and Inquisitor with Safari3, on two different 10.4.10 Macs. I don't think any of them are installed via SIMBL. Odd.

12. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Im positive I have the correct version. It would not work the regular install way, I had to do the SIMBL way. I did it twice, cause I reformatted and reloaded OS X (for other reasons) and had to use SIMBL both times. Another poster on this forum had the same problem. Dont know why it works for some and not for others?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Huh, that's weird. Well, I guess SIMBL is harmless enough, anyway, right? It's good to know that there's that backup route if you install SafariStand and you get weird results.

14. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Well I hope its harmless!
    What are you doing in Gainesville? Im moving there this Friday from Miami for school.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awww, yeah? Welcome in advance! I'm a grad student at UF in clinical psychology...I'm here for one more year in Gatorland and then moving on to an internship. Miami it's not, but I've learned to love it. :)

16. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Miami aint that great, actually its kinda hellish. I am transferring from FIU for Electrical Engineering, I too have just over a year left. I used to live there for a year back in '04, so I know how it is. Really fun and mostly nice people. Really looking forward to it, actually packing up right now. My girlfriend is coming with me and she's actually going to be taking post bac psychology classes too. She graduated from UM so I'm sure we'll fit right in:)