Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
So this made me Upset, and will make many people upset. I don't know where to start other than saying will live in a class based society if you are well off you act and are treated better than people who earn less. The iPhone is a status symbol we all flaunt our latest gadget. Keep this in mind. Up until recently if you were a wealthy snob or not or just a high school teen, or a construction worker. We all had the same iPhone it was a common denominator. Hey I may not have Donald Trump's house but we use the same phone. It was and is an aspirational status symbol

Very soon no longer. And we see subtle evidence Apple is creating rather bringing its 2 Tiered system (aka rich and poor) into other gadget SKU's

we all know MacBook and MacBook Pro and now we have iPad and iPad Pros.... Some will and do physically have different Features and better hardware.

It is inevitable this is happening to the iPhone. Not only logically but it follows Apple's strategy thus far. This frontpage article really nails it https://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/26/kuo-iphone-2017-oled-curved-glass/

Now, lets imagine, we have a choice and iPhone 7 or 7 Plus or an all new iPhone Pro at 5.8 inches with an OLED display dual cameras etc. Maybe no 3.5mm speaker Jack but Extremely better Audio aka Pro.

There you have your distinctly divided classes.

imagine the same arguments of dumbfounded people Who would ever need Something So Big in a phone. But everyone lusts after the best Specs and faster CPU and better colors.

But but what about 2016 ? Same Trick Apple Pulled on the iPad Crowd in 2015.... Look at this Amazing Huge iPad Pro and everyone lost their minds. (but the iPad was untouched no update) My guess is Apple introduces a Minimal Update to the iPhone 6s line this year.

Its coming whether we like it or not the iPhone Pro

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
iPhone as a status symbol, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.
The OP is right. In some parts of the world, absolutely
[doublepost=1459097093][/doublepost]I don't fully agree with OP, but some elements of his /her arguments age correct

I have lived and travelled in many countries where the iPhone is seen as a huge status symbol.

Also, I not a fan of Apple starting to tier their individual products. Look at the talk of that "plus pro" with dual cameras. Same as the 9.7 ipad pro with the jacked up price.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Sampple

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Most wealthy people I know carry past generation iphones for some time..., Many of them have a crack or other damage , and only one really well to do guy I knew made it a point to have the new one on day one.

A good portion of my middle class pals typically have the new one on day one.

So... To me at least... Your phone says a lot about you?
Results not typical, I'm very sure, but this has been my experience.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The OP is right. In some parts of the world, absolutely
[doublepost=1459097093][/doublepost]I don't fully agree with OP, but some elements of his /her arguments age correct

I have lived and travelled in many countries where the iPhone is seen as a huge status symbol.

Also, I not a fan of Apple starting to tier their individual products. Look at the talk of that "plus pro" with dual cameras. Same as the 9.7 ipad pro with the jacked up price.
Seems like the underlying issues are with people's mindsets and how things and people are treated in those places and not with anything iPhone related.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
iPhone as a status symbol, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

From the Looks of your Profile Pic Avatar you flaunt the top gadgets of their time you did not buy cheap stuff or dumb phones, maybe not your thing but it is my position that people want the best Gadget with the best Specs.

Can't afford a MacBook Pro hey get a MackBook.

When Apple launches the iPhone Pro people will simply lose their minds saying they want that.
[doublepost=1459104060][/doublepost]
If you attach self-worth to the electronic accessories you have, you're doing it wrong.

If you value others based on their electronic accessories, you're missing out on what's important in life.

I could be wrong but I don't tie in Self worth to an electronics product. But we have to be honest. Many people like they newest Jordans or Nice shoes or designer clothing its a social filter.

OSX7

Suspended
Jul 26, 2015
From the Looks of your Profile Pic Avatar you flaunt the top gadgets of their time you did not buy cheap stuff or dumb phones, maybe not your thing but it is my position that people want the best Gadget with the best Specs.

Can't afford a MacBook Pro hey get a MackBook.

When Apple launches the iPhone Pro people will simply lose their minds saying they want that.
[doublepost=1459104060][/doublepost]

I could be wrong but I don't tie in Self worth to an electronics product. But we have to be honest. Many people like they newest Jordans or Nice shoes or designer clothing its a social filter.

Status symbol? I have seen people with the latest and most expensive config of the iPhone who live in slums. I'm not even kidding. I don't live in the states, but when I was there literally EVERYONE had an iPhone. Where I live (3rd world country) EVERYONE has an iPhone. On another note, what's the difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro? 100-200 dollars? It's an insignificant amount. It really doesn't fuel your rich and poor argument. If the price difference where several thousands of dollars between product lines then yes, your original post would have been justified.
[doublepost=1459104690][/doublepost]
Exactly this. The richest people I know tend to upgrade their devices the least often.

Judging someone's wealth by their phone is a foolhardy endeavor.
I have seen the exact same thing. While the poor ones are the ones that upgrade yearly. Priorities right? :)

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So this made me Upset, and will make many people upset. I don't know where to start other than saying will live in a class based society if you are well off you act and are treated better than people who earn less. The iPhone is a status symbol we all flaunt our latest gadget. Keep this in mind. Up until recently if you were a wealthy snob or not or just a high school teen, or a construction worker. We all had the same iPhone it was a common denominator. Hey I may not have Donald Trump's house but we use the same phone. It was and is an aspirational status symbol

Very soon no longer. And we see subtle evidence Apple is creating rather bringing its 2 Tiered system (aka rich and poor) into other gadget SKU's

we all know MacBook and MacBook Pro and now we have iPad and iPad Pros.... Some will and do physically have different Features and better hardware.

It is inevitable this is happening to the iPhone. Not only logically but it follows Apple's strategy thus far. This frontpage article really nails it https://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/26/kuo-iphone-2017-oled-curved-glass/

Now, lets imagine, we have a choice and iPhone 7 or 7 Plus or an all new iPhone Pro at 5.8 inches with an OLED display dual cameras etc. Maybe no 3.5mm speaker Jack but Extremely better Audio aka Pro.

imagine the same arguments of dumbfounded people Who would ever need Something So Big in a phone. But everyone lusts after the best Specs and faster CPU and better colors.

But but what about 2016 ? Same Trick Apple Pulled on the iPad Crowd in 2015.... Look at this Amazing Huge iPad Pro and everyone lost their minds. (but the iPad was untouched no update) My guess is Apple introduces a Minimal Update to the iPhone 6s line this year.

Wow! I feel so superior to those iBook users now. I mean to have been better than those poor slobs since 1999 means I've been so awesome for the last 17 years!

Imagine that! My old PowerBooks make me better than those iBook people!

/sarcasm

Really OP? Apple history ends before the 2006 Intel transition? Or were you just unwilling to do any freaking research? Nothing new here! Please…:rolleyes:

Reactions: jbachandouris

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Conspiracy-theorist-tin-foil-hat.jpg

A company make multiple trim levels of the same product?! You're right! I've never seen such evil in my entire life!

Not in cars.
Not in TV's.
Not in phones.
Not in computers.
Not in major appliances.
Not in in other consumer electronics.

I mean, after all, every single user of the above items has EXACTLY the same needs from said devices, so why should there be choices!?!?

Apple should either make 1 bad product and make it affordable to ALL, or make 1 amazing product and make it prohibitedly expensive. THAT would eliminate this status symbol class warfare. :rolleyes:

Options =/= class warfare
Phones =/= status symbol
Crazy conspiracy theory =/= valid thread for discussion
o_Oo_Oo_O

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The guy begging for change outside my local supermarket has an iphone 6 (or even 6s).

"Status symbol" lol
I used to work for UPS (inside the sort facility). Heard a lot of stories from the package car drivers about delivering cell phones to run down apartments and mobile homes with luxury cars parked outside.

That was from 1992 to 1999. Nothing has changed.

We spend our tax refunds on our iPhones, getting the best and largest capacity offered at the time. Hardly qualifies us to be considered as part of the rich class.

Reactions: baypharm

adam_fox

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, Florida
I'm replying to this discussion using an inexpensive laptop. I love that I have the choice between a $200 laptop and a $600+ iPad or more expensive devices. I do become concerned when I see schools and governmental agencies unnecessarily purchase iPads and other Apple products for 2 to 3 times the price of a functionally-equivalent alternative. (I work in one of those institutions, by the way.)

In terms of the status symbol debate, it's not particularly relevant to me. My circle of peers and I aren't particularly concerned about how we are perceived. We tend to be middle class or on the affluent side of the scale, but have no shame in wearing "cheap" clothing and the like. I've recently decided to purchase the iPhone SE because of the form factor and its camera quality, and not out of any desire to impress anybody.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I'm replying to this discussion using an inexpensive laptop. I love that I have the choice between a $200 laptop and a $600+ iPad or more expensive devices. I do become concerned when I see schools and governmental agencies unnecessarily purchase iPads and other Apple products for 2 to 3 times the price of a functionally-equivalent alternative. (I work in one of those institutions, by the way.)

In terms of the status symbol debate, it's not particularly relevant to me. My circle of peers and I aren't particularly concerned about how we are perceived. We tend to be middle class or on the affluent side of the scale, but have no shame in wearing "cheap" clothing and the like. I've recently decided to purchase the iPhone SE because of the form factor and its camera quality, and not out of any desire to impress anybody.

Cool Story Bro.

No disrespect but that does not stop the innevitable of Apple creating a Two Tier System among its iPhone Line.

People want to flaunt the latest status symbol thats why the Rose Gold iPhone was the fastest to sell out.

By the way I drive a Honda Civic since your are middle class and like to wear "cheap" clothing what car do you drive?
[doublepost=1459118997][/doublepost]
Conspiracy-theorist-tin-foil-hat.jpg

A company make multiple trim levels of the same product?! You're right! I've never seen such evil in my entire life!

Not in cars.
Not in TV's.
Not in phones.
Not in computers.
Not in major appliances.
Not in in other consumer electronics.

I mean, after all, every single user of the above items has EXACTLY the same needs from said devices, so why should there be choices!?!?

Apple should either make 1 bad product and make it affordable to ALL, or make 1 amazing product and make it prohibitedly expensive. THAT would eliminate this status symbol class warfare. :rolleyes:

Options =/= class warfare
Phones =/= status symbol
Crazy conspiracy theory =/= valid thread for discussion
o_Oo_Oo_O

Thank you for your Reply please note everyone I never said this was "Evil" I just point out that Its innevitable and will make you Upset. Why ? The iPhone is the iPhone and has been for years. Heck you Got $199 heres the newest one. Cool you are the best.

Not anymore 2 Year Contract Plans are Gone, and the iPhone Pro will be Expensive so if a 6s Plus Today costs $600 bucks an iPhone Pro will cost $800+ Now you may not "need" it.

But No One "needed" an iPhone 6s over an iPhone 6 but Everyone just had to have that 3D Touch and Rose Gold color to flaunt. Or Hey Look it Vibrates when you touch the screen. You all know you did this showing off to friends and family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Cool Story Bro.

No disrespect but that does not stop the innevitable of Apple creating a Two Tier System among its iPhone Line.

People want to flaunt the latest status symbol thats why the Rose Gold iPhone was the fastest to sell out.

By the way I drive a Honda Civic since your are middle class and like to wear "cheap" clothing what car do you drive?
[doublepost=1459118997][/doublepost]

Thank you for your Reply please note everyone I never said this was "Evil" I just point out that Its innevitable and will make you Upset. Why ? The iPhone is the iPhone and has been for years. Heck you Got $199 heres the newest one. Cool you are the best.

Not anymore 2 Year Contract Plans are Gone, and the iPhone Pro will be Expensive so if a 6s Plus Today costs $600 bucks an iPhone Pro will cost $800+ Now you may not "need" it.

But No One "needed" an iPhone 6s over an iPhone 6 but Everyone just had to have that 3D Touch and Rose Gold color to flaunt. Or Hey Look it Vibrates when you touch the screen. You all know you did this showing off to friends and family.

You're old enough to drive? I did not see that one coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.