what the iphone lock screen should be.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SWC, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SWC macrumors 6502

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Yep its common sense that you would want lock screen notifications. Having to slide to unlock and launch app is retarded.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Nice but what is with windows mobile and there refresh when the screen changes. Look like Linux from 82. Ah boo.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

5. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

It's taken them 6.5 revisions to get here and the last little bit was only prompted because of the iPhone's lockscreen.

If my phone loaded like that I would throw it out the window and hope it landed in a lake of oil that is on fire.

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to buy out Intelliscreen and make it an OS standard feature - pretty it up a bit, decrease the battery usage, and it's good to go.

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

The point of the thread is that you shouldn't have to hack your phone to have a functional lock screen.

8. SWC thread starter macrumors 6502

Well regardless of how long it took them to get there the functionality is there and provides something the iPhone could surely use (without hacking it). Sure the graphics aren't as polished as the iPhone but I am interested more in the functionality demonstrated.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Graphics? It took damn near 3 seconds to load, thats not graphics.

Also, it doesn't really seem that intuitive. Sure you could pick it up easy, but that just reeks of the windows mindset "dont do it a way that naturally makes sense, do it our way"

10. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

unlock screen

I don't have a solution but I do know that I have never liked the current iPhone unlock screen. I've always hated having to swipe time after time to just see one quick item. I would love to see some other options.

11. SWC thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a beta, not sure if you've had the pleasure of using iphone os 3.0 but its slow, buggy etc. as well. I have to reboot my phone at least once a day now, bluetooth audio skips to all hell if you so much as even look at the phone, randomly the phone locks up and after reboot I can no longer open any third party apps only the ones included with the OS until I do a full sync with my computer. I could go on and on.

As much as I love my iPhone speed is not something I would ever brag about beta os or not.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    You do realize that the iPhone takes just as long to launch anything... it just hides it by immediately throwing up a static image that the app programmer puts in. Whereas WM continues to display live information until the app starts.

If you never told someone about the pinch to zoom, they'd never figure that out either. It's only "intuitive" after you've seen it done.

Heck, there are still users who are confused by the occasional wiggling of their iPhone menu icons, since they missed the one-time explanation popup.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Was that a beta? I thought 6.5 was already out:confused: If it is however, then I retract that part of my statement fullly (im using 3.0 on my ipod right now, i now the nature of a beta and its fully excuseable).

I don't retract my intuitive statment tho.

14. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

6.1 is the current version, 6.5 isnt out yet.

15. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Most of what you said makes sense, but I disagree with this. I think the pinching is completely intuitive, as you are using your fingers--pulling them apart--as if you are stretching the object, or making it bigger.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

SBSettings is what I miss about jailbreaking. Those notifications were really useful.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Both my brother and I are on 3.0, and we both agree that we miss SBSettings the most.

18. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

+1 it takes forever to toggle wifi or change the brightness..

19. paxamime macrumors newbie

Is it just me or are the sliders on this a little too small? It is a good idea but I think they need to be bigger for one handed operation. If I was trying to use my thumb on this I would probably end up missing what I was aiming for and would have to try it like 6 times.

20. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Grrrrr

How has Apple missed the boat on this? Same unlock screen for 2 full years? There had better new (similar ^) lockscreen features coming in 3.0 that have yet to be revealed.

Its been very aggravating since Day 1 that this was not already worked out. The fact that Windows Mobile is ahead of the game on this feature makes it all that much more ridiculous.

21. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

It looks to me like the type of bare bones UI a developer would apply when trying to work out features/function....ya know....before applying the actual UI that the user would see.

Just like everything Windose!

22. devobail macrumors member

It truly amazes me the level of fanboyism among apple fans! No one can give credit where credit is due its just ridiculous. If that same video was a feature someone unlocked in the iphone 3.0 software you guys would be having an orgasm. Instead you're saying its to slow, and the icons are to small. Newsflash its a beta!! You know like 3.0, the slow buggy software Apple has out now.

Its truly pathetic that almost everyone here will pick apart any feature of another phone be it better or worse just because your savior Steve Jobs didn't tell you you needed it. Dont get me wrong I love my iPhone but the lock screen got old after about 2 days and I was ready for something a little more functional. That being said, Apple could learn a thing or two from that video.

Now excuse me while I go put on my flame suit, as I'm sure all of SJ's cult followers will soon seek my demise.

23. Apple iKid macrumors regular

:D I agree. That just looked ridiculous.

24. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

This is why every consumer product has something called an "instruction manual" that all users are advised to read before using the product.

25. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

I'm a dev who thinks:

1. This feature is desperately missing from the iPhone
    2. The WinMo version demoed is a poor implementation and is likely the final version, NOT the beta as you allege.

So, go ahead, criticize me. Where do I fit in your logic?