Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
It's still not that cheap though. £639 minimum over 18 months is a LOT more than many of my friends pay. They usually stretch to maybe £100 for the handset on Pay and Go and after that won't spend close to £30 per month.

I agree. The price drop for the iPhone 3G hasn't done much. It is still one of the most expensive phone available. And, at least with last one, you could in theory, get it on pay&go for the price it was sold for, as they did not require you to be locked to a contract when you left the store, which meant it could be jailbroken. I just wish I knew that when the price dropped to below £200. Oh well, bring on the 3G.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
It's still not that cheap though. £639 minimum over 18 months is a LOT more than many of my friends pay. They usually stretch to maybe £100 for the handset on Pay and Go and after that won't spend close to £30 per month.

Well there are plenty of people on contract. When I went on pay and go for a short while I was spending £35 or more, and that is without a subsidised handset, so contract makes sense for me, now I don't have to worry how long I chat for, £35/month covers it!

I think at under £100 it is at a much better price point. The product is proven, and you get more, for less, so I reckon it will be very popular.

freelander

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
I remember the hype pre November 9th! As a consequence I sat outside a CPW store for 2 hours whilst they shut the shop for 2 hours in the lead up to 6.02 pm. They had 4 members of staff in the shop. When the shutter was rolled up I walked in with another bloke who was after something else!! I know the Apple store in the Trafford Centre had a queue but the ordinary O2 and CPW stores near me were empty. I'll be amazed if its any different this time, especially if those of us who are existing users have to order online and take delivery by courier.

Still, thumbs up to Apple, you can't knock their ability to create a marketing hype.

PS Would never touch another CPW outlet again, 2 months after the above had a really bad experience with them and Orange with my sons phone. Nearly ended up in the smalls claims court, both Orange and CPW were horrendous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.