Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I made my first test movie, exported it as a reasonable quality h.264 .mov file and put it up on .Mac for my pals to see. Unfortunately, I have a few Windows using mates who don't want to install QT7 (they're so paranoid that their systems are currently stable than they don't like introducing new apps) so they can hear the audio but apparently can't see the video.

So... what's the best option to create something that they can see without installing anything - at the moment, they're back to slagging off the Mac for being incompatible with the real world - at a decent quality so my transitions etc still look good? If they're hearing the QT audio and not the video, would it be worthwhile, me encoding it at Sorenson or one of the other codecs in QT6 and seeing what happens?

I've had a read through the ffmpegx and the divx (tho it says it's not Tiger/QT7 happy) pages but am still not much the wiser. And would I be better re-encoding from iMovie rather than just converting my high quality h.264?

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Applespider said:
I made my first test movie, exported it as a reasonable quality h.264 .mov file and put it up on .Mac for my pals to see. Unfortunately, I have a few Windows using mates who don't want to install QT7 (they're so paranoid that their systems are currently stable than they don't like introducing new apps) so they can hear the audio but apparently can't see the video.

So... what's the best option to create something that they can see without installing anything - at the moment, they're back to slagging off the Mac for being incompatible with the real world - at a decent quality so my transitions etc still look good? If they're hearing the QT audio and not the video, would it be worthwhile, me encoding it at Sorenson or one of the other codecs in QT6 and seeing what happens?

I've had a read through the ffmpegx and the divx (tho it says it's not Tiger/QT7 happy) pages but am still not much the wiser. And would I be better re-encoding from iMovie rather than just converting my high quality h.264?

Re-encoding from the original is pretty much always going to be the preferred method. Don't really have any other suggestions for you.. however, I do find it particularly mirthsome that your friends berate your Mac, but see nothing ridiculous in the notion that they finally got their Windows PC's stable and are terrified of installing another program which could topple their house of cards.

Reactions: Walter Kemble

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
PC users can watch H.264 films now. I downloaded iTunes 5 for my laptop (gotta love sharing music over the network) which also installed the latest Quicktime. ba da boom it plays my H.264 movies.

just get the new Quicktime or iTunes. happy days

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
raggedjimmi said:
PC users can watch H.264 films now. I downloaded iTunes 5 for my laptop (gotta love sharing music over the network) which also installed the latest Quicktime. ba da boom it plays my H.264 movies.

just get the new Quicktime or iTunes. happy days

The OP said the PC using friends of his/hers don't want to install QT7 (yeah, I know) so in this situation I think you should re-encod from the original as a .avi or a .mp4 but using the MPEG encoder.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Chundles said:
I think you should re-encod from the original as a .avi or a .mp4 but using the MPEG encoder.

But how do I keep the file size reasonably small then? Trying to do the QT Pro, Movie to AVI ended up with a file of well over a GB :eek:

To complicate matters, the original DV is in 16:9 so most things without a custom-size option end up stretching things...

Argh... if it wasn't for them casting aspersions on my Mac, I'd be happy to just tell them to d/l QT7 and damn the consequences... To be fair though, one only has access to high-speed internet in the office where they most definitely won't let them install anything...

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I don't have QT pro on THIS machine or I'd give you a step by step- but I ran into this problem for a client a while back. A BIG client, whose contact couldn't view the files and assumed the entire world couldn't view them, and whose IT dept. refused to upgrade quicktime because it 'damages their network' and 'ruins their machines' somehow.

There are plenty of export options in QT pro. I would recommend trying to exort using the 'sorenson' codec. There are custom size options in the export settings somewhere. You should be able generate a .mov using the sorenson codec at whatever dimensions you like, and set the quality to something mid-range and get a relatively small file.

Oh- and yes, I think you might as well export from the source. I think iMovie has basically the same export set as QT pro.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I just simply convert my videos into a Quicktime video in the exact way Apple does for their trailers.

I use Compressor (I assume you have access to that).

(from FCP)
File -> Export -> To Compressor

then I make a new compressor preset. click the entry button, then at the top go to -> new default setting -> quicktime movie

ok, heres what the Inspector says for mine:

Name: Small QuickTime Video
Description: No description
File Extension: mov
Estimated file size: unknown
Audio Encoder
QDesign Music 2, Mono, 32.000 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 320
Height: 240
Pixel aspect ratio: default
Crop: None
Frame rate: 15
Frame Controls: Off
Codec Type: Sorenson Video 3 (Quality set to LEAST for me, but if you can deal with larger sizes, you can set this up higher, especially if there are heavy transitions)
Multi-pass: Off, frame reorder: Off
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 0
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Key frame interval: 24
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Fast Start: on

I find this gives the best quality for the smallest size, and its something that can be viewed on both Macs and PC's (as long as some version of QT is installed)

its the exact format that I use for all my videos on my company site http://www.va-films.com

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Thanks JeDiBoYTJ

I'll have a go at that tonight and see what happens. I don't have Compressor but will try those settings in QT Pro and give it a go! I hadn't tried putting Sorenson to 'least' since I wasn't sure that would make it unwatchable but obviously not!

L

Lau

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, but haven't got round to sorting it out yet. There might be some useful information here. Interestingly though, all my PC user testers had the most recent QT, but it still didn't work. :rolleyes:

Another member emailed me and also said the Sorenson codec sorted his out, so I suppose it's just a case of having the right quality to size ratio. :)

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I think it's time to dump the sorenson codec especially qdesign. At the very least you should use mpeg-4 and aac. But now I go for h.264 all the way it's a superior codec.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
QT for XP sucks...plain and simple. I can't blame them for not wanting it on their computer.

Do the re-encoding thing, but also try to convince your friends to download vlc player. Best damn program out there to play any sort of video.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Chundles said:
The OP said the PC using friends of his/hers don't want to install QT7 (yeah, I know) so in this situation I think you should re-encod from the original as a .avi or a .mp4 but using the MPEG encoder.

If they don't want to install Quicktime, why should he do anything to cater for them? H.264 has much better quality at the same filesize than any MPEG version.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

I am in agreement here. There really is no substitute to h.264 encoding (relating to quality/file size ratio) without access to Quicktime.

Either accept the fact that your files are going to be WAY bigger than you want...or tell your close minded friends to install the damn app.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Airforce said:
QT for XP sucks...plain and simple. I can't blame them for not wanting it on their computer.

Do the re-encoding thing, but also try to convince your friends to download vlc player. Best damn program out there to play any sort of video.

The more i listen to you the worse it gets......

Anyway, yeah, get them to download QT (like i have my friends) and they can watch the delightful H.264

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Um guys... I posted this last October. They've all now seen the DVD of it and are happy.

They still don't have QT on their machines. As to why? Well, they're doing me the favour of watching so I didn't want to put unnecessary obstacles in their way.

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
JeDiBoYTJ, thanks for sharing your compression scheme. I've been through a world of pain trying to get quicktime movies to place nice with windows. The results have always been that the movies look beautiful and play wonderfully on Macs, but they crash and burn on any PC (no matter how well configured it is). Or rather, the PC crashes and burns with slow playback and horrific image/sound quality. I will definitely have to try out your settings in the future.

Applespider, the DVD was a nice solution. It insures a consistent quality, and you have a backup/archive copy of your work. (did not realize this thread had bee resurrected, like so many others lately. Are Zombie Threads™ threatening to take over?).

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
There's a downloadable codec pack called cole2k www.cole2k.net
This technically adds a bit of software to their machines (panic and woe!!), but it allows them to view H.264 using Windows Media Player.
I use it on an XP machine hooked to my TV to stream my movies from a server in my basement. (I rip all my DVD's to H.264 and watch them in this fashion)
Works like a charm.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Dv?

Does anyone know what the best settings would be for animated video? It's video that was originally on tv, and is now in a .DV file. I tried using H.264, but I think that's a little too much compression...and I can't really figure my way around Quicktime. Also, I would like it to be iPod/TV compatible...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.