What to do in Charlotte, NC for a day?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Mar 12, 2011.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I have a friend visiting from NJ next weekend. He got us tickets to see Cirque Du Soleil in Charlotte on the 19th. I live in Danville, VA about 2 hours from Charlotte and have never been there.

The show starts at 8PM, but we figured we'd drive down to Charlotte early and hang out for the day before the show. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things to see or do? Thought we might check out Concord Mills Mall, but other then that not really sure what to do.

Also any ideas for good places for lunch/dinner?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I saw Cirque du soleil down in Miami. It was pretty good. Just bring your own food unless you want to pay for over priced pop corn :eek:

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah LOL I've seen 4 shows, and my friend has see too many to count :) He's a tab bit obsessed with Cirque. :)

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's cool! We might be going again in the summer :)

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

6. 184550, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

184550 Guest

Mentally prepare yourself for the Mills. It use to be a pretty good place four to five years ago but as of late its become quite 'ethnic'.

If you're looking to hang out in Charlotte, check out The Epicentre. It's a major entertainment center in downtown Charlotte.

Whisky River is owned by Dale Earnhardt, Jr. It's usually a pretty lively place. Also in the Epicentre.

Downtown Charlotte is pretty compact. You could easily walk around and see The Bank of America Stadium where the Panthers play. Could also walk to The Time Warner Cable arena where the Bobcats play and where the DNC will be hosted next year.

There are a ton of good places to eat in downtown, just do some light Googling, you can't go wrong.

EDIT:

If you're into history/ museums, check out the Levine Museum of the New South. It's an excellent museum. For art, check out the Mint Museum. Don't know if you're into science or that sort of thing but Discovery Place is sort of interesting. It's kind of geared towards younger interests but have a look and see what you think.

Also, Charlotte Motor Speedway, where the performance is being held, gives tours of the track/ facilities. If you're interested in NASCAR, you could check that out.

If you're up for a bit of a drive around Charlotte, check out South Park Mall and our local Apple Store.

If you're into the indie/ art scene, check out the NoDa area of Charlotte. Actually, this is where I'd recommend you go eat.