What to do? Shipping Delay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Milo42, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Milo42 macrumors newbie

I recently ordered a 13" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz). I opted for ordering directly because the Apple Store won't configure it with a bigger hard drive in store. So I got it with the 500 gb hard drive online. However now they say theres been a shipping delay and it won't be here until the 5th or the 6th. And I have to be back at school on Sunday. Which means I either have to change the shipping address to my school residence or purchase it some other way.

I know you can replace the hard disk without voiding the warranty, and that it's not that hard. Should I just go get a 250gb model from the apple store, and then replace the hard drive?

What brand of hard drive should I get?

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

First off you wont be able to change the shipping address if it already shipped. Second, how are you going to buy a new one if Apple wont let you return the other for free? Have you check if they will let you return it? All schools that require work to be done on a computer are going to have a computer lab or library with computers so you could have your family ship it to you at school. If it doesnt, you need to find a new school. And lastly, you should of just bought the 13" from the Apple Store to begin with because the HDD will be cheaper from somewhere else like Newegg, Macsales, Amazon, etc...

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You will save a lot of money if you replace the hard drive yourself. Buy the harddrive from newegg and you should get a stellar deal.

4. shelhed217 macrumors member

If it has not shipped you can cancel the order, i've done that before and Apple was great about it. I can't recommend a good hard drive replacement, sorry, but I have no doubt it will be cheaper to do yourself.

5. dtblaze macrumors regular

just wait...i doubt you'll need the laptop for first day of school or whatever...if you do just borrow someones.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

No idea where you are, but if there's a Microcenter brick&mortar store nearby, I'd cancel the order with Apple and pick up a MBP13 for their $999 price plus a 500GB drive. (key thing is to confirm you can cancel the order first!)

I've not researched drives lately, so do a search here, but the latest Microcenter paper shows the Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue at $60 in-store (OEM; retail boxed is $10 more at $70). Pick up a #6 torx and #00 phillips screwdriver as well if you don't have them, should be cheap)

Microcenter $999 + $70 beats Apple Education store $1234 (base MBP13 + 500GB drive upgrade) by $165 and you have a spare 250GB drive to put in an enclosure.

I also agree that chances are you won't have any issue being without a computer for a few days until your family can ship your computer to you -- that may be the simplest solution, although a little more costly. It does carry the benefit of the drive being part of the system warranty in case you should have any problems.

7. Milo42 thread starter macrumors newbie

500GB Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 2.5" SATA HD at a local computer store (Central Computer) - $60

Apple contacted us saying there was a delay, that it hasn't shipped yet, and we could cancel for a refund if we like.

Pros of getting it from store + upgrading:
    Get MacBook today, set up everything nice and the way I like it
    faster hard drive
    save $75

Cons
    hard drive no longer on warranty

I think I'm gonna cancel the order, buy it, and upgrade it myself. Thanks for your help!

8. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

At 60 bucks if it fails you know they will be even cheaper in a year or two anyhow. Plus most OEM drives usually come with a three year warranty from the drives manufacture.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

From Apple that is... It should still carry a manufacturer warranty. :)

10. Milo42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm now a proud owner of a 13" MBP with a 500 GB 7400 RPM Seagate HDD -- had no problems installing it. =)

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

high five!!

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Nice, know where I can get one of those 7400 rpm hdd?

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That is a good hard drive. You will like it.