What to do, what to do...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ag55, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ag55 macrumors regular

O2 CALL TO CUSTOMER SERVICE

I wanted to see if upgrading from a Pay as you go iPhone (with a free unlimited web n wi-fi bolt-on), to the simplicity tariff would allow you to choose a second bolt-on whilst keeping the original.

Unfortunatley its only on pay as you go
    :(

Still, i will use wi-fi spots by entering the mobile number of the payg sim,
    and choose unlimited data as simplicity bolt-on.

UPDATE #2
    Will be phoning O2 tommorow to see if upgrading from payg
    to the simplicity tariff will allow you to keep the original unlimited web/wifi
    bolt-on from payg, and choose a new bolt-on for the simplicity tarriff.

Come back tommorow!

UPDATE:
    Can someone clarify if this will work? - it will work

Pay and go iPhone 3GS from here: http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paygo.html
    Free 12 month unlimited web and wi-fi bolt-on included.
    But use a O2 simplicity sim for the iPhone @ a £20 12 month contract
    And when connecting to wi-fi spots, enter the mobile number of the payg sim

And for other data excluding wi-fi, choose the unlimited web and wifi bolton
    for the simplicity sim tariff.

Im new to mac rumours and to the iPhone, but i'll join you guys in being outraged at o2 and Apple (and AT&T, even though im in the UK). :mad:

Anywho i've read around and learned my lesson, i dont want to be tied down to an 18 or 24 month contract like many of you unfortunate people, what with a new iPhone this time next year almost inevitable.

So after reading this: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49302556,00.htm
    Im going for o2's simplicity sim-only tarriff - 12 months @ £20 for the sim, and one free bolt-on.
    Then just buying a 16GB pay as you go for £440. Total spent will be £680.

The downside is that visual voicemail and unlimited cloud wi-fi are not included.
    But choosing unlimited wi-fi as the inclusive bolt-on solves one problem.

Im wondering if you (more experienced users), think this is a good idea.
    And also if there is an app for visual voicemail.

2. AppleiZac macrumors member

im not familiar with this type of contract as i hav the dreadful att that even tho is the main carrier has yet to hav MMS up or nething its just a joke...however about visual voicemail..i was lookin fwd to it when i purchased my iphone, but for some reason at the time it wasnt activated and i have yet to b able to change it online and really havent went to a store to worry about it for 6 mos. long story short...its cool but i havent had it, and truthfully i havent missed it.

3. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

If you buy a Pay & Go iPhone, you get 12 month's free web & wi-fi.

Have a look here

4. tyranical macrumors regular

Personally i've chosen unlimited data as the free bolt on as that means you can get free internet anywhere not just in wifi areas.

APay & Go Iphone comes with 12 months free wifi access. Even with the Simplicity sim in, when you try to connect to a wifi hotspot etc it asks for your mobile number, put in the number of the PAYG sim (even though its not in the phone) and it works, you get free wifi too!

5. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Really, cool.
    Unlimited data is for 3G i guess?
    And the payg sim will cover the wi-fi.

6. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

You don't need the unlimited data bolt-on. The free web & wi-fi gives you internet access as well as wi-fi for a year. You'd be buying the same thing twice!

7. tyranical macrumors regular

Free data runs off the simcard so you'd need the PAYG sim in to use it.

8. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so the O2 offer with a pay and go iphone will give you free 3g and wi-fi for 1 year? Is this unlimited or capped. If unlimited i could change the bol-on i chose :rolleyes:

9. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Correct. The cost of web & wi-fi is built into the price of the Pay & Go phone, so surely you would be better off continuing to use the Pay & Go SIM for the first year, otherwise you'll pay for it a second time?

10. tyranical macrumors regular

And what about all the texts/phonecalls you want to make which will cost u a fortune if your a hardcore phone user like me.

11. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

So tyran, you could only use this exploit for wi-fi when connecting and not other data.

12. tyranical macrumors regular

Yes, and don't call it an exploit, it sounds so dirty when you put it like that :p

The unlimited data bolt on is your free choice though, so its not like its costing you anymore, unless you would want another bolt on too.

13. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

If you make a lot of calls, I wonder if you could upgrade your Pay & Go SIM to a Simplicity tariff, and retain your free web & wi-fi? You could then choose a different free bolt-on (such as extra minutes) so you get more for your money.

This page suggests you can call O2 to upgrade to Simplicity. Think it might work, or am I being a bit too optimistic here?

14. tyranical macrumors regular

Suppose it may be possible, however that page states:

"You need to be a pay monthly customer in the last month of your contract to upgrade online. You can check your contract renewal date by visiting My O2"

I suspect that they couldn't just turn a PAYG sim into a simplicity sim they'd have to send you a new sim.

15. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Not at all, you have to aim high :D
    I think thats a very good find actually.
    Im going to actually try this.

16. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll ask them about this one, i'll have to make up some excuse though to keep my payg sim lol

17. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

On the right-hand side, it says to call them to upgrade a Pay & Go. It's worth giving it a try!

18. tyranical macrumors regular

Indeed, AG55 when you gonna try and find out about this? Think we'd all appreciate it if you posted your findings on here!

19. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I would specifically ask them if they just upgrade your service or send a new SIM before committing to anything. They should be able to tell you if the existing free web & wi-fi bolt-on would be retained. Let us know what they say!

20. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Potential conversation to O2 customer line

Hi i want to upgrade my payg to a 12 month simplicity tariff please.
    -
    I'll have the unlimited o2-o2 calls bolt-on thanks
    -
    No i want to keep my current sim card/number, can you add the
    simplicity tarriff to my current sim?
    -
    You can! Thats great thanks
    -
    Hangs up. Evil laugh of success

I will phone O2 tommorow (dont think they are open now)
    Hopefully this thing will work and we'll save some major cash

21. tyranical macrumors regular

I'll be a bit gutted if this happens as i ordered my simplicity sim this morning, does the simplicity sim activate as soon as its sent or will i have to activate it when i recieve it (meaning if i don't activate it they're not gonna start taking 20 quid off me)

22. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure, but the activation thing seems probable as its
    a contract. Then again, its direct-debit i think so. :confused:

23. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Not sure about that, just call them and ask?

Did you order it on-line? If so, you should be able to return it if necessary.

If it was me, I'd still want to ask them if the free web & wi-fi bolt-on is unaffected to make sure you wouldn't lose it.

24. tyranical macrumors regular

Let us know how it goes anyway AG55 and make sure you ask if it will affect those bolt ons as thats the important bit, no point upgrading to simplicity if you lose your wifi and web bolt ons!

25. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

If it did work, what should i choose as my other bolt-on out of these:

*unlimited o2-o2 calls
    * unlimited texts
    * unlimited weekend calls
    * unlimited landline calls

Bearing in mind the simplicity sim offers 800mins and 1600 texts!

Even better
    Assuming it works, choose unlimited o2-o2 calls for the bolt-on for simplicity. This is great for me as most of my family and my mates are with O2 anyway. I could downgrade from the £20 a month contract to the £15 one with 300mins which would be plenty for calling others at landlines and the few who arent with O2.

That could bring the iphone 3gs cost down to:
    £440 for payg purchase handset
    £ 180 for 12 month simplicity @ £15
    total = £620