What to do with a dead macbook?

mikelamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Hi all, just signed up, although have been using this site for news, etc for a while now..

To cut a long story short, I've wanted a mac for a couple of years now, after saving for a while and being very tempted to splash my savings the mac mini, I waited for the macbook and bought myself a macbook 2.0 white as soon as it came out.. it was my baby, I loved it.. the nicest computer I've ever owned.

Until... one of my mates accidently spilt water all over it, it was very flukey how it happened so I feel bad blaming him entirely. However, we powered it down straight away and let it dry out for a day before turning it back on. It didn't work, it now wont boot and if i try and re install OSX, it cant find the HDD.

I thought I would try my luck with apple care (as i dried it out straight away, i hoped there would be no trace of water) but they spotted water damage and told me it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one :( :( :( Gutted, £900 wasted.

So, now I am left with a dead macbook and £900 out of pocket, the question is, what is best to do?

1) Ebay it for parts (the screen, battery, power supply, memory, optical drive?) and make some money back
2) Blow it up like This Guy did and ask for donations in return for the video being posted on the internet?

Think I would be successful with option 2? If so.. how would you blow it up?

Suggestions/ideas greatly appreciated!

Mike

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
mikelamb said:
2) Blow it up like This Guy did and ask for donations in return for the video being posted on the internet?

Mike
That is the stupidest hting I have heard. Seriously asking for money from strangers because of your friends mistake.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
mikelamb said:
Hi all, just signed up, although have been using this site for news, etc for a while now..

To cut a long story short, I've wanted a mac for a couple of years now, after saving for a while and being very tempted to splash my savings the mac mini, I waited for the macbook and bought myself a macbook 2.0 white as soon as it came out.. it was my baby, I loved it.. the nicest computer I've ever owned.

Until... one of my mates accidently spilt water all over it, it was very flukey how it happened so I feel bad blaming him entirely. However, we powered it down straight away and let it dry out for a day before turning it back on. It didn't work, it now wont boot and if i try and re install OSX, it cant find the HDD.

I thought I would try my luck with apple care (as i dried it out straight away, i hoped there would be no trace of water) but they spotted water damage and told me it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one :( :( :( Gutted, £900 wasted.

So, now I am left with a dead macbook and £900 out of pocket, the question is, what is best to do?

1) Ebay it for parts (the screen, battery, power supply, memory, optical drive?) and make some money back

Mike
I would suggest you check to see if you are insured in anyway against this happening. Such as home contents insurance. Otherwise just ebay it.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
mikelamb said:

Mike
i choose 2. thats awseome

mikelamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Probably covered on insurance, but parents recently put a massive claim through due to our house flooding, they dont want to claim again so soon :(

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
mikelamb said:
Probably covered on insurance, but parents recently put a massive claim through due to our house flooding, they dont want to claim again so soon :(
Sorry to hear about the flooding, what country are you in?

As for the MacBook, just ebay it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
mikelamb said:
Flooding? water damaged MacBook? ;)

mikelamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I know what your thinking, but its a bit late.. claims gone through now!

And i'm in the UK.

mikelamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I will double check on the credit card thing, i did check their site but it didnt mention anything about insurance anwyhere..

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
mikelamb said:
I know what your thinking, but its a bit late.. claims gone through now!
In all honesty... your friend should offer to cover the costs of repair.

But by the sounds of it, if you can boot off the install disc, but can't find the HD, sounds like the HD's gone to me, that's all... otherwise you wouldn't be able to boot off the install disc at all.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Are you forgetting that your computer is still coming on. Go get a new hard drive or test it out on an external firewire drive.

jon

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
zap2 said:
I'd go talk to your friend, If someone did that to my iBook, I'd want money
I agree with that. Even if it's a mistake, and they're a nice person, it's still their fault, and they should fund the repairs.

mikelamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Its going to cost them £900, and it was really an accident, they knocked something that knocked something that knocked the glass of water over it, its equally my fault for having the water so close.

And as for new HDD, it also needs a new logic board as at least the bit that handles charging is fried, which is why applecare say its written off.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
If you're still out of ideas for what to do with the MacBook, you can always send it my way - I'll pay shipping...and give you a nice little contribution for your broken laptop!

Uber