What to do with an Amazon gift card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JonWills, Dec 21, 2011.

1. JonWills macrumors newbie

I recently sold back some school books to Amazon and received a load of cash in the form of an Amazon gift card (I guess it's not really cash now it is? :D). I've been eyeing an iPad but Amazon doesn't carry iPads due to a "conflict of interest." Does anyone know how to use the Amazon card to get cash, or a giftcard to another reseller like Best Buy? I understand I would incur a liquidity premium, but I'm okay with that.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You could try selling on ebay etc or sell to friends and family.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

"What to do with an Amazon gift card?"

What? :eek:
    I'm surprised you're asking. Amazon has almost everything ... even food. I'm sure you can find a way to use it.

4. Jcast22, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

Jcast22 macrumors newbie

Jcast22

hmm I just did a search on amazon and they have ipads for sale. I was actually in a similar situation last year. I had an itunes card and was looking to trade for an amazon gift card or cash,but i ended up keeping it since i couldn't find a company that bought itunes cards. The thing with amazon gift cards is that many of those websites don't buy them and when you sell a gift card from a merchant they offer you amazon gift cards,so your best bet is to sell it to trade it,sell it locally or online

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Unless you graduated won't you need more school books next semester? You could buy those through Amazon.

I was going to suggest selling to a gift card reseller. But it looks like they give pretty poor returns on Amazon gift cards, about 60 cents on the dollar.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

7. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Does anyone know how to use the Amazon card to get cash, or a giftcard to another reseller like Best Buy?

In general Amazon prices are better than Best Buy, especially if you live in a state where amazon doesn't charge tax but Best Buy does. All that aside, amazon is one of my favorite places to shop, or better stated, purchase, things due to their wonderful prices and return policy. If someone were to give me a gift card that is the one I would want. I bought my MBP there, my scorpio hard drive, books, kitchen knives, vitamin supplements... And, as others have pointed out, they do sell iPads.

Amazon is so good that my Credit Card is a Amazon/chase card that gives me triple points when I buy from Amazon - that means another 3% discount. I also sold back $70 worth of books and CD's this month to amazon for credit. Didn't take long to use that amount on this and that...

It is almost hard not to find something one needs or wants on amazon for a competitive price.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's probably bigger than $200, so he can't sell it on eBay. Amazon won't let you buy gift cards with gift cards either.

They do sell iPads. What you need to do is make sure that you buy it from a merchant who is Fulfilled by Amazon:

That way you know that Amazon themselves have it and can ship it over to you, leaving the other company out of the picture for the most part.

10. JonWills thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! I knew there were some third-party vendors on Amazon but I didn't feel like dealing with a third-party. Thanks, Jessica for the Fulfilled by Amazon info, I'll be going that route.

11. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Amazon is safer than Ebay or craigslist because of the fulfilled by amazon garbage that screws over the seller. If you a buyer then you are right no matter what. I had a buyer try to say I sent him a iphone that didn't work. He sent me back one with a different serial #, Amazon took his SIDE !!!! I sent him the pictures of my phones serial number and the one that the buyer sent me and they still took forever to take my side on the matter. It was only because I wouldn't give them the money back

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yeah--this--Amazon may not have an iPad but they have virtually everything else on earth. I looked everywhere for ginger root pills in case of sea sickness, and low and behold, Amazon had them in their Marketplace. I got them for $6 and had them in two days with Amazon Prime--so you should just take advantage of that gift card and use it--I know you will find something you need or want. :)

13. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

yea, you should be able to find some ipads on amazon, good luck to you!