iPad What to do with faulty iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by abta1, Mar 10, 2014.

1. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 2 which is out of warranty and after taking it to an Apple store, they informed me that the graphics chip is the cause of the problem, but as it is no longer under Applecare, it would cost me around 200GBP to get it fixed. I should also add that I originally bought it from a premium reseller rather than Apple.

So what are my options? I contacted the reseller as well and they said a repair could be carried out or replacement for around the same price.

The iPad itself is in perfect physical condition as it has been kept in a smart case the whole time or some other case and has zero marks on it and the screen is perfect.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say most people either throw it away, or sell it for parts/as is.

Gazelle may give you a few bucks for it, if you don't want to go through the hassle of going the eBay route

3. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

When asked, the Apple store employee said that such a failure shouldn't be happening given the condition of the device. Any ideas if I take to the seller and ask them to look at it if they might at least consider lowering the repair/replacement cost?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think so considering the device is old and well out of AppleCare. But I don't know if any of the EU laws regarding consumer electronics could work in your favor, so it might be worth checking out.

Worst case scenario: Buy a new iPad. It's not worth £200 for an iPad 2.

5. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Any chance of trading it in someplace?

In the audited States, some large retailers will offer you a better value for trading in a device versus selling it to them outright.

You could sell it on the Internet and just make sure you fully disclose the condition of the device.

You could attempt to repair it yourself or find someone locally who does this type of work. I believe, in the U.S. At least, a small "cottage industry" has sprung up of people who repair mobile devices.

6. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

In the UK you might be covered under the Sale of Goods Act which states that a product has to last an appropriate amount of time before dying on you. It is the responsibility of the reseller and not Apple if you bought it from elsewhere and they should refund or repair at no cost to you. I've had washing machines and cookers repaired out of warranty for free under this rule. That's why extended warranties are such a con.

I would suggest Googling the Sales of Goods Act and checking out your rights.

7. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was used by my parents who now have an iPad 4 and I have a rMini so it isn't exactly missed. However it seems silly just to have it lying around.

The Apple store employee did mention the SOGA which can cover the item for up to 6 years. I don't know if it's worth talking to the reseller about this though since what I have read it can be hit and miss. I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this?

I can accept it and move on had it been damaged due to negligence or something similar but it is in perfect condition.

8. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

What to do with faulty iPad 2

In my experience the reseller will try to wriggle out of their responsibilities but it's worth pursuing. It took me a couple of letters to Argos to get them to arrange free repairs to my washing machine. I did this twice over a two year period too as two unrelated parts failed.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Now hold on a second here. You're suggesting that for the most part people can get over and have their products repaired for free out of warranty. You got lucky. That doesn't happen with most people. I know first hand.

10. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

That's exactly what I'm saying and I hardly call it getting lucky when I've had two washing machine repairs, a cooker repair, a TV repair and a tumble dryer repair. Plus, your experiences doesn't equate to "all people" just like mine doesn't. The fact is that's the law and if you argue your case and are in the right then there's every chance that you will get a repair carried out.