What to do with iPad Smart Cover.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tinny the cat, May 28, 2011.

1. tinny the cat, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

tinny the cat macrumors member

What do you do with your iPad Smart Cover while using the ipad? Im getting an iPad 2 in a couple of weeks so I was messing around with one in the apple store the other day and one of the staff let me use the Smart Cover. I couldn't work out what to do with it while using the iPad, let it hang, take it off or hold it against the back, which I found awkward. Also, its not very left handed friendly only attaching on one side :D Just wondering what yall do.

2. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Unless I'm only using it for a brief period, mine comes off. Been putting it on/off many times and without leaving a mark. The iPad feels much more comfortable "naked".

When I temporarily use it, I just fold the cover in half, microfiber side in. I agree it's clumsy if you're trying to type, it just sorts flops while you're typing.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I flip mine back and fold the microfiber side onto itself. Or I roll it up in a triangle on the left in portrait mode.

5. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I either fold it back or take it of depending on how I feel. I rarely use the smart cover though.

7. andyadler macrumors member

I fold my smart cover back and slightly open up the panel closest to the speaker using it as a reflective surface, which I find substantially improves sound quality compared to a "naked" iPad.

8. macrat macrumors regular

Before you buy the smart cover, check out the leather cases. I have the Yoobao, the Toblino 2, and the Bear Motion leather cases, all available at Amazon w/ free shipping. We have two iPad 2s in our home and yes, I am case-crazy! These are priced the same as the Apple Smart Covers.

9. xMClass macrumors 6502

I did the fold it in half way for a while but it felt really weird to hold. I returned my smart cover and I'm now using my iPad 2 naked.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Check out the Brookstone Clip Case

www.brookstone.com

I saw it today and bought one. Very nice case for the money.

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

12. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I only got a smart cover because I got it free as part of pre order, but I am more pleased than I thought I'd be with it. I always keep it on and just fold it back on itself.

Anyone got any good all over covers for their iPad 2? I take me with me daily and would rather something that covered the who iPad rather than just the screen. Something like a Incase sleeve for a macbook/iPad etc.

13. bluez3 macrumors member

I guess you don't find most books magazines and newspapers bound from the same side as the smart cover not lefty friendly?

I am lefty. The Smart cover doesn't bother me. I just fold it in half, felt side in and hold it against the back.

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (device; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Personally I don't like the smartcover because it only protects the screen and not the rest of the iPad. I have a switcheasy canvas folio case. It completely covers the iPad and us still comfortable to hold.

15. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

I use a combination of a Smart Cover and a sleeve. The iPad stays in the sleeve when in transit, but when I'm using it, I fold the Smart Cover back.

Also, just an aside, my blue smart cover is really filthy. Anyone selling a leather one?

17. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just flat on the back which is covered by a flip-on protector. When transporting the iPad is in a sleeve.
    I never removed the smart cover beside demonstrating it to others.

18. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

I remember that pic in which guy hanged his ipad to the refrigerator with the help of smart cover.

19. PT123 macrumors member

Frankly I feel I wasted my money on.one. I don't use the folding aspect and I out it in a case anyway. They look lovely but most people will grow out of them as soon as they get a proper case.

20. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

mine usually stays on folded up for the "typing ramp" ... but it occasionally comes off when im holding it and playing audio through the speaker, because my hands usually cover the speaker due to the smart cover being on the opposite side of the the speaker.

21. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

My proper case is the Belkin snap case with a black leather Smart Cover. :D

As for when I'm using it, I'm pretty much like everyone else. Short time, it stays on. Long time, it comes off.